Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

156mph

I have just booked a course of performance driving sessions as I am finding the new car quite a handfull. I thought the GS 430 was quick, how wrong I was.

156mph on any road is asking for trouble, I have booked a runway session to see how quick 200mph is as, it would frighten me to dead doing anything close to that speed on the road.

Steve hit it right on the head when he reminded us it was a BMW Driver after all :D ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning everyone !

I've read this thread with interest - there are of course some very strong opinions both for and against what we're discussing.

I think I'll just pop this question in your head for you to think about.......

"Is the fastest you've ever been in your Lexus 70mph ?"

I will bet money not one of you can honestly honestly HONESTLY answer yes.

I will bet money not one of you can honestly honestly HONESTLY answer yes.

I cannot say I have never exceeded the speed limit... but considering most of my driving is at 4/5am on the motorways, my Lexus has never reached 100mph

I never exceed 30 or 40mph limits... ever!

:P

no.

I'll admit to cruisin a nice empty motorway (do a weekly drive to london - M53 => M56 => M6 =>M6 => M1 - on the way down, usually very late at night) at around 90-95.

thats only if the conditions permit, its dry etc - and its also variable - leaving a nice big gap between me and the car in front.

I don't claim to be perfect - or faultless.

Still think that there is no justiufication, nor place in the UK, where 156 mph is in any way condonable though!

To be honest - I think we've both come to the same conclusion, Matt !

The important point here is appropriate speed

If everybody everywhere adhered to that, along with appropriate distances, I think the roads would be an awful lot safer.

(nice discussion this......I enjoy a good debate!)

Bonjour tout le monde,

(long one sorry)

Speeding…your story remind me one 2 years ago, a guy with his bike decided to break the wall of speed in a national road (not highway) at the very crowdy hour of 11AM, was trapped at 238km/h on his Hayabuza. This story made the front page for a day, the guy went to jail for 3 months and clearly he was the example to not follow, all the people start looking at bikes with dark eye, thanks to him, he did, we pay.

Now, blaming a guy when we're actually using speed detectors, GPS speed trap locators (UK only) and seeking for more horse power is a bit "hypocrit", we're all speeding or trying to do so. The speed factor is like our economy, we have to go fast and we like it, unless we will all driving some Trabants. Personnaly if I want to speed up the 3L or the Aprilia, or I go to the track or I do it by night, when the roads and the highways are empties, speeding isn't a crime if you know your car and have the skill to do it AND YOU DO IT IN A PROPER AREA, especially knowing how to break hardly, most people know how to accelerate but never how to stop or a simple thing that is where you point your eyes is where the car or the bike will generally pass, it depends of each car, an IS200 can make a bunch of kilometers mostly at top speed 200-210 km/h, done in Spain during a summer between Barcelona and Denia, it's a good car with a terrible brake power, now the HW was empty, the 300 even worst…

Without talking about bikes, 3 seconds to reach 100km/h, a better acceleration than most of the dream cars, every year a lot of people killed themself in bike accidents, because they're stupid, because they fill themself too secure, and speeding produce depedency. A friend is the "Monsieur Sécurité Routière" for the french army, seeing the latest injured people number, the work to do is still on the go.

Lately the French gov decid that the Road security was a major goal to obtain, OK they started to put radars everywhere, and magically the road death number is getting down…for a time, that's the effect "Peur du gendarme" as we call it.

Now it's always the same story, in case of accident, the speed factor is worsening, and will be pin point badly, in a crowdy road when you see a "auto censored" doing in & out, this is a criminal, this guy even if he knows it can kill a lot of people, various cases happened shamely down there.

Now if you drink don't drive, if you're nervous don't speed, etc etc.

It's always the same story, it's not by putting a lot of radars that you will cure the desease, but slowly making the conductor mind beeing more respective of each other.

I agree about having on HW speed limits depending of the hour and the day, as we cannot have people really conscient about what they are doing, including me. Speed limits is a need.

I'm definitly not a criminal when cruising at night above 200km/h in an emty highway, but it's there where the radar will catch me, and never in front of a school in a city, so what ?

@d'taleur

Just to pull another story out of the archives, there was a guy caught in Billericay in a 911, doing 100mph, and it's a 30 limit - I can't see any issue with trying to teach this guy a lesson that it's not the time or the place to explore the limits of the car.

Thing is, if you feel the need for speed then get yourself to a track. At least there the only person you're likely to hurt is yourself.

To be honest - I think we've both come to the same conclusion, Matt !

The important point here is appropriate speed

If everybody everywhere adhered to that, along with appropriate distances, I think the roads would be an awful lot safer.

(nice discussion this......I enjoy a good debate!)

Your idea of what is appropriate and mine will differ considerably, due in no small part to hormones.

I wouldn't care what speed ANY motorist did PROVIDING he (or she) only killed, crippled or maimed themselves. (and then scraped their remains off the road and deposited it in a nice black bin bag for the ambulance or policeman to dispose of)

But that's never going to happen.

I think the crux of the matter is that it was an A road - not a motorway. A roads have cyclists, pedestrians, cross roads and other junctions and are not as well maintained or lit as motorways.

Speeds of this magnitude on any road which is not a motorway are totally and completely unacceptable under any circumstances. Period.

1) speeding isn't a crime if you know your car and have the skill to do it....

2)Speed limits is a need.

3) I'm definitly not a criminal when cruising at night above 200km/h in an emty highway, but it's there where the radar will catch me, and never in front of a school in a city, so what ?

Intersting thread and a few good points raised....

Have to make a few comments from an earlier post to be pednatic....

1) Yes it is...

2) Agreed 100 %, sort of contradicts the first point though !

3) ??? If there is a need for a speed limit as stated and you know the radar will catch you then you are a criminal....

In response to Tony 'No'....

Speeding is a problem in the majority of instances, the large number of people do speed in 30 zones, built up area's and schools etc, speeding in these area's is crazy...

Speeding on motorways is subjective, as loads of people have pointed out, it all depends on the conditions, although 100mph in a 30/40, 156 top is never acceptable...

I think the biggest problem on the UK roads is driver training, the quality of UK driving is abismal, last time I drove accross to Europe (chunnel - belgium) I was very impressed with the driving on the motorways over there, everyone appeared to be aware of people around them, if faster traffic was approaching from behind they would get out of the way and the roads were in a very good condition. I think we should make it harder over here for people to get licenses as better training is a necessity, linked with harsher punishments for people who do break the driving laws.

Speeding is a risk everyone takes, not just the few, only problem is the small number the stretch the rules too far and put others at risk.

The maxium speed limit on UK roads (MOTORWAYS ETC) is 70mph we all know that, so why do some people think they can justify that they can drive at 95mph. :iraqi-info-minister:

My car is capable of 200+mph, do I drive it that quick? no way on a public road nor do I try and justify what speed I could drive it at on a public road cause the law says 70mph. :)

Purely my own opinion here....

I do not try and justify driving at 95mph, yes I do on occasion drive over the national speed limit of 70mph depending on where I am, what the conditions are like and the amount of other traffic around me, why... Purely selfish reasons, I can I feel that I am being aware of what is happening around me and that I am not causing a risk to others primarily or myself.

If I am on a nice dry motorway with very little traffic I will quite happily plod along doing on average 90mph although if I see traffic in the distance I will back off and as the conditions will soon be changing and I don't see that speed as being safe any more....

As I said the majority of people speed and on occasion people go faster than they would normally drive, they do not try and justify it as it is something that just happens and is something that "everybody" does...

I think it's worth mentioning, on most motorways my speed creeps above the limit, not because 'I'm looking for a rush' but simply because everyone is driving faster than me...

I frequently notice my speed has gone up to 80 (and above) purely because I been going with the flow of traffic.

I think it's more dangerous to be looking at your speedo every 2 mins to keep to 70mph than to be concentrating on traffic...

Just my 2 cents..

I think it's worth mentioning, on most motorways my speed creeps above the limit, not because 'I'm looking for a rush' but simply because everyone is driving faster than me...

I frequently notice my speed has gone up to 80 (and above) purely because I been going with the flow of traffic.

I think it's more dangerous to be looking at your speedo every 2 mins to keep to 70mph than to be concentrating on traffic...

Just my 2 cents..

Exactly, most important thing for any driver IMHO is tobe aware of what is happening around him....

"Have to make a few comments from an earlier post to be pednatic....

1) Yes it is...

3) ??? If there is a need for a speed limit as stated and you know the radar will catch you then you are a criminal...."

1/ Rhaines, Ok so you're driving with speed limits done in the 70's, compare with our car, especially the ABS, EBV, etc, etc, our cars can easily over pass 200km/h and we're still stucked at 130. There isn't any contradiction in what I've said, cruising above 200 in an empty highway at 3am is definitly not a crime, you're alone, take the A6 going to south France, perfect condition, nobody at night. NOW in a national road, or in city, no way for speeding, you've been a lot on a track, so you should know that real speeding is not in a straigh line, but in curve, going for point 2

2/ Speed limit is a need, obviously, assuming that we can be responsible or not, so we need a law to put a limit, BUT would like to have a similar example of Germany, with some mods, variable speed limits depending the day and the hour (read my first message once again).

3/a photographic criminal guilty of speeding see point 1, no way, once again night condition, empty lines etc etc, the radar will be placed there because is way easiest to catch a guy cruising hardly than stop 50 guys passing the limit in front of a school…

As you said, and I said and a lot more said, that's the one making wrong who makes others paying (see the bike example)

@d'taleur

I agree with most of your comments but atthe end of the day the government which allegedly reflect the views of the public maintain a set of rules known as the law which every member of the public must abide by.

These laws also state that on a national highway the maximum limit is 70mph (in the UK) it does not matter whether you are in a vehicle capable of doing 200mph+ that fact is if you are traveling faster than the legal limit for the stretch of public highway you are on then you are commiting a criminal offence which means that points 1 and 2 theoretically make you a criminal....

The point of fact that modern machines are much safer than when these laws were introduced does not alter the law, and again at the end of the day as pointed out early it is upto the drivers ability more than the car, unfortunately most drivers show that the abilities of the car are greater than that of the driver....

Just my 2p

1) speeding isn't a crime if you know your car and have the skill to do it....

2)Speed limits is a need.

3) I'm definitly not a criminal when cruising at night above 200km/h in an emty highway, but it's there where the radar will catch me, and never in front of a school in a city, so what ?

Intersting thread and a few good points raised....

Have to make a few comments from an earlier post to be pednatic....

1) Yes it is...

3) ??? If there is a need for a speed limit as stated and you know the radar will catch you then you are a criminal....

In response to Tony 'No'....

Speeding is a problem in the majority of instances, the large number of people do speed in 30 zones, built up area's and schools etc, speeding in these area's is crazy...

Speeding on motorways is subjective, as loads of people have pointed out, it all depends on the conditions, although 100mph in a 30/40, 156 top is never acceptable...

I think the biggest problem on the UK roads is driver training, the quality of UK driving is abismal, last time I drove accross to Europe (chunnel - belgium) I was very impressed with the driving on the motorways over there, everyone appeared to be aware of people around them, if faster traffic was approaching from behind they would get out of the way and the roads were in a very good condition. I think we should make it harder over here for people to get licenses as better training is a necessity, linked with harsher punishments for people who do break the driving laws.

Speeding is a risk everyone takes, not just the few, only problem is the small number the stretch the rules too far and put others at risk.

hi there,

don't know how many times you've driven in Belguim, but I strongly disagree with ya comparism of European drivers to UK. If a common thing here. Everyone knows the Belgians and Dutch are shocking for motorway driving. They know it themselves.

They zoom right behind you knowing well that you are obvertaking someone. They don't respect distance between cars. If you are the fast lane overtaking two cars, the first car you are about to pass can step out in the fast lane cos they want to overtake the truck in front. You will be lucky if they indicate.

Trust me son. Been here almost three years and still get paranoid when overtaking more than ONE car. Last november someone really pushed me off the road. I was overtaking, he didn't even have to look in his morror to see me, I was right beside him, yet he pulled out to overtake the truck infront of him. It happens all the time.

There's even a joke here in Lux as to why we always get a phone call that there's traffic jam towards France or Belguim, but never Germany. There are always crashes.

France is just as bad. Driven is Paris and if that's bad, try Nice or Milan. To stress on my point, a few months ago, there was a campaign in France about driving. The French used the English as a perfect example on road safety. They used zebra crossings in the video.No body respects zebra crossings. I was nearly mowed down once in Gare de Nord in Paris, and here in Lux.

We may be bad in the UK, but man don't try here.

I think the main problem with speeding is that it tends to be done to excess by people who are way over confident i.e. think they can handle the car when they can't. Drivers should be painfully aware of their own inadequacies and drive within their limits, and the limits set by the road conditions, weather and general environment.

I totally disagree with the speeds that that moron got up to and I hope he 'enjoys' his time at the pleasure of HRH.

I am no angel and have been guilty of speeding. Having gone from a ropey old Vauxhall Cavalier to a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTech, I hit a stupid speed on the M4 without even realising it. When I did take notice, I scared myself silly and slowed right down. I'm an average driver and feel that my driving has improved over time, but not to the extent I could handle the car at high speeds.

Drivers who kill, maim, injure other drivers through DANGEROUS driving (not necessarily related to speed), should be imprisoned. A fine and a smack on the wrist isn't enough.

Just my 2 cents..

Spot on

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links