Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Well this is a post id never thought id write, but am considering selling my 400. The misses has never like the lex claiming its to big ( i had it before we met ) and has now offered to go halves with me for a new car ( on finance). Ive worked a lot of figures and weighing up the lex costs per year against financing a new car im about £600 up a year if i change. Thats not allowiing for any additional costs the mot will cost as well.

Ive considered lpg but its not worth it on a car worth £1000 taking 2years to pay me back. Im very tempted by a new yaris sized car which is more than big enough for the two of us . And weighing up 16 mpg against 52. Its a no brainer. I can afford to run the lex but i cant justify the cost against " because i like it ". If ive done my figures right instead of £180 a month on gas ill spend £60 . A really difficult decision but am using weekends at mo to see what deals are out there. Will keep posted what happens and wether lex gets traded in or offered for sale.

Dark days lol

Steve

Well this is a post id never thought id write, but am considering selling my 400. The misses has never like the lex claiming its to big ( i had it before we met ) and has now offered to go halves with me for a new car ( on finance). Ive worked a lot of figures and weighing up the lex costs per year against financing a new car im about £600 up a year if i change. Thats not allowiing for any additional costs the mot will cost as well.

Ive considered lpg but its not worth it on a car worth £1000 taking 2years to pay me back. Im very tempted by a new yaris sized car which is more than big enough for the two of us . And weighing up 16 mpg against 52. Its a no brainer. I can afford to run the lex but i cant justify the cost against " because i like it ". If ive done my figures right instead of £180 a month on gas ill spend £60 . A really difficult decision but am using weekends at mo to see what deals are out there. Will keep posted what happens and wether lex gets traded in or offered for sale.

Dark days lol

Steve

Its a no brainer she has to go. The misses that is.

Mike

Id love a ct200 but just checked prices and way outa my price range, im in the £12000-£13000 bracket. The misses sez we only need a small car for the local trips we do. If we go outa town its usualyy by train or airport transfer lol so she has a good point.

Im hoping if i narrow it down and test drive a small car it will be so bad i'll have to slap myself lol.

Ive got no problems running the car ,just begrudge out rip off fuel prices. I always worry that at mot time a bad mot will put it beyond economical repair as im no mechanic and rely on a garage to keep her running. Which is why im unwilling to lpg a 16 yr old car. Susie would cough up a lung if i spent £1500 on it lol.

I drove home tonight looking at the interior thinking ,,, nothings gona beat this.

Some serious thinking in the coming weeks.

Steve

Co-incidentally I had a jouirney in a friend's wife's 09 plate Yaris on Tuesday evening in the wind and driving rain.

Thought we was going to be all over the motorway, and we were !

His wife's previous Yaris was 8 years old and had never cost a bean apart from servicing and the usual regular culprits, tyres I guess

My LS400 would have been my preferred mode of transport.

NOTHING like a LS400 for a good and safe and comfortable and reliable journey methinks.

Just keep it.

Malc

"I drove home tonight looking at the interior thinking ,,, nothings gona beat this."

I've had my car for sale tentatively too (in Cars for sale, below) for a while. But I share your view. Each time I drive it, I realise that anything I get will be LESS!

And after 6 successive clean MOTs too, which most 13 year old cars couldn't match. My MOT man wanders about underneath, muttering " Beautiful......"

I like to keep things perfect!

But I keep it locked away each Winter, doing only 2/3K miles a year

Was tempted (with my Citroen owning history) to get a C6, but keep reading owners complaints!

Lovely ride/lovely to look at though.But would be minimum £6/7K more to have something at best the same as the LS!

So.....Can't get a Nissan Cube (she says it's horrible!)

What else IS there?

Maybe I'll go around the circle to 1981 when i had a DS23!

Yaris size? Why buy new? Get something 3/4 years old and save lots! we have a 10 year old (I think) Micra that just GOES!

(Oh, and I think it's 'Missus', not Misses, though she IS missing the point!)

Lol im looking weather permiting to test drive a yaris tmoro, a hyundai i20 , and a kia picanto ,,,not my choice !!!

Im hoping the whole experiance will keep me in the lexus.

Steve,

Lol im looking weather permiting to test drive a yaris tmoro, a hyundai i20 , and a kia picanto ,,,not my choice !!!

Im hoping the whole experiance will keep me in the lexus.

Steve,

I think to reach 60 in a picanto you need to set off the day before lol. I went to a lot of dealers today to see wts out there. Not really wanting to get into anything but a couple of keen sales men wanted to price the trade in. £400 is a joke i think i had about £80 of fuel in it lol

The depeciation is a factor id not considered. Off to do some more workings out

Steve

I think to reach 60 in a picanto you need to set off the day before lol. I went to a lot of dealers today to see wts out there. Not really wanting to get into anything but a couple of keen sales men wanted to price the trade in. £400 is a joke i think i had about £80 of fuel in it lol

The depeciation is a factor id not considered. Off to do some more workings out

Steve

Dont forget to factor in the depreciation on the replacement car. This is often forgotton.

I get the feeling you are gradualy talking yourself out of selling the LS.

Mike

Hi Steve an lpg conversion will cost less than the amount you will loose in value the moment you turn a wheel in a new car. ( 20% vat +) use the green angle with your Mrs, the cost to the enviroment to build a new car & lpg emissions are virtually zero, I get 30+ around town & 50+ on a run equivalent mpg out of mine on gas, its saved me over £4000 in fuel over 3.5 years so paid for the car & conversion cost. Your car may only be worth a grand but its still £40k build quality & I would place money that it will outlast a new kia picanto( they are horrible I hired one in Greece last year).

Just my penneths worth Mark

Hi Steve an lpg conversion will cost less than the amount you will loose in value the moment you turn a wheel in a new car. ( 20% vat +) use the green angle with your Mrs, the cost to the enviroment to build a new car & lpg emissions are virtually zero, I get 30+ around town & 50+ on a run equivalent mpg out of mine on gas, its saved me over £4000 in fuel over 3.5 years so paid for the car & conversion cost. Your car may only be worth a grand but its still £40k build quality & I would place money that it will outlast a new kia picanto( they are horrible I hired one in Greece last year).

Just my penneths worth Mark

I totally back up Manic Mark on the benefits of keeping the Lexus

My car is twenty one years old I have owned it for sixteen .Over that time it as cost with the purchase price about twenty one thousand and it is probably good for another 10 years it as less than £400 pounds spent on it in the last five years in consumable parts replacements.The government should award free road tax to anyone keeping a car running for over twenty years as the cost to the environment is a mutiple save against the cost of producing a new car. I can do any of the jobs it needs doing and it as not lost the quality that was built into it twenty one years ago.

I cannot see me driving anything else down to see my daughter in Devon 600 miles away in one trip.

I stop twice to refuel and rest, if any one can surpass that in the modern day motor at zero cost, on you go.

My wife can cope with the Nine hour journey better than the eight hour flight to New York, which says it all.

Edited by ambermarine

Lol steve ur orange !!!!

Some quality posts that have given me some more to thin about.

Test drove a bmw series 1 and fiesta metal today both good.

The misses really wants something newer and im sat on top of the fence seeing both sides.

Deep in thought

Steve

get her a moped , she'll save a fortune that way.

don't forget to do your local speed bumps on your test drives :P.

the dealers love giving you their own routes to follow for a reason.

whiplash from having sucky suspension outweighs any cost of ownership from my perspective.

Well its been a weekend of thinking , lots of looking and 6 test drives. I think we are goin to buy a new car next weekend. Everything changes and its good to experience new things so i think im moving on. Yes it will be very different but thats life. Im sure in years to come i will return to lexus again probably in the 430 id like. By next sat we will have decided which car to buy and will arrange on sat.

At that time ill know what to do with my LS . Im thinking a private sale to a enthusiast will be more appropriate as the dealers just farm them out to autions and i suspect it would disappear. Trade in is easy and a private sale would have to be timed to the delivery of new car.That said if i can advertise on here and sell to a member that would be preferable.

Thanks all for the input.

Steve.

Going from an LS to a Yaris will be something you'll always regret. From the tin doors to the cloth seats, I guarantee that the moment you have to use that thing regularly, you'll begin to hate it.

But if you must have a small car then a Yaris is the best choice ;)

Regards, Will. Owner of both a LS400 and a Yaris

Could you I wonder, just lay the LS up for a while, go hire a Yaris for a week or two and then make a more informed decision without having burnt your boats and lost your beloved LS ?

Could be expensive I know but it might prevent you making a goddamd awful mistake

Malc

I've been really impressed with the Yaris T sport my wife has. We tend to use it in the town, and the LS for longer jaunts. This way I've got the best of both worlds and an average mpg of around 30.

However, new Yaris's are made in France - ours is made in Japan.

Pete

I've been really impressed with the Yaris T sport my wife has. We tend to use it in the town, and the LS for longer jaunts. This way I've got the best of both worlds and an average mpg of around 30.

However, new Yaris's are made in France - ours is made in Japan.

Pete

Matters not one jot. My 2005 diesel was made in France, no better or worse than any other Yaris I've seen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links