Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cleaning Your Dash

Has anyone out there any tips on cleaning the dash, buttons and dials on your lex.

I have never been a car cleaner, I used to just let the valet people who came to our office do it, but I have decided to be a good boy with the lexus and keep it clean myself.

I tried Turtle Wax extreme cockpit, bumper and tyre cleaner but this stuff was a nightmare. I sprayed it on as per the instructions and could not get an even finish and I keep finding spots of the stuff that I missed.

I tried Armourall after this, which you apply with a cloth, and this seems a bit better.

Any tips, tricks or magic product information will be gratefuly received.

i have the best solution for getting rid of dust between buttons

goto these cheap stores.. you know the ones for £1 per item ones.. look for the nylon static dusters similar to what Ken dodd uses LOL

these are so good at getting in those buttons and the dust is attracted to the nylon duster... the whole dash will look like new...

i try not to wipe as this leaves marks.

I bought Armorall dash cleaner wipes this weekend. Its quite good and leaves a nice shiny surface. Apply the liquid from the wipes by running it evenly across the dash first and then wipe down and polish lightly with a soft cloth. Else you might get a streaky apprerance. They warn against using on clear surfaces (clock glass/CD display) so stay clear of them. Leaves a beautiful finish and takes no more than 5 minutes.

Chamois Leather FAQ

What is Chamois ?

Chamois is leather that is extremely soft, flexible, and absorbent.

Why use Chamois Leather ?

Typically chamois leather is used to dry off surfaces after washing; this is due to the absorbency and softness of the leather, another fact being that grime particles are drawn away from the surface being cleaned. The particles are held within the hollow fiber of the leather, eliminating abrasion.

How do I clean and dry my car with a Chamois ?

First wash car as recommended by manufacturer. Then use a Chamois to dry your car.

1) Rinse Chamois in water, wring out excess. - The chamois needs to be damp, but not wet to work.

2) Remove the majority of water by sweeping the Chamois over the car, wring out excess water as you proceed.

3) Buff any remaining damp areas until dry, again wringing as necessary.

4) Clean and dry your Chamois.

How to care for my Chamois ?

Give it a good rinse in lukewarm water with a mild non-alkali soap, or mild detergent. Squeeze/wring Chamois to remove excess water. Gently stretch, and hang in area protected from direct sunlight and intense heat. Take care not to over dry.

Why is my Chamois stiff ?

Chamois leather gets stiff when it is too dry, it will regain its softness with moisture or on wetting.

How are Chamois Leathers made ?

Chamois leather is made from high quality sheep and lamb skin.

The skin is split into 2 pieces.

The flesh side being used for Chamois and the outer piece for other leather types.

The flesh side is Hot Drum Tanned in Genuine Cod Liver Oil.

Thus Giving the skin it unique character of Chamois Leather.

Chamois leather is then dry-cleaned to remove excess oil.

Final stages include buffing the leather with an abrasive wheel, removing any excess grain and fleshings.

The chamois was described by Linnaeus in 1758. The hide of this ungulate is made into "shammy", a very fine, soft cloth used for polishing. Chamois is French for a wild goat.

Rupes (Latin), genitive rupis, a rock or cliff; capra (Latin) a she-goat

Oops - looks like I got zees disease :excl: Sorry Mr Zee - no insult intended. :winky:

Best way of removing dust from delicate buttons and especially from air vents is to use a nice soft long bristled paintbrush. This can also be used to agitate wheel cleaner around the wheels although make sure you give it a damn good rinsing and drying before using it on the interior again!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links