Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Starter Kit Arrived - Any Volunteers?

do plenty of "pre-op" reading

take plenty of coffee breaks (not beer lol)

a clever tip from steve is once you have replaced the starter solenoid - put it on a Battery to see it engages

there are some clear pictures here which might help

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11862

all the best - the most i have done on my 400 is change the brake pads so my hat goes off to you

• Like 1

Little gas pressure forward of the front solenoid I imagine, but shut off the tank tap as precaution.

Would be interested to see how they placed the spuds on your manifold. Are you taking pictures as you go?

good luck you are a braver man than I Gunga Din, as the expression goes!

If this job is on a 400 and you are taking the motor off, when the starter bolts are removed, clean the threads perfectly.

Then cut a good screwdriver slot in the threaded end.

When refitting, use a screwdriver to 'wind them back in' as far as you can, then finish with a spanner as usual.

As you can only get little more than a quarter turn on them with a spanner, this will speed up assembly, it works.... I dId it on mine!

• Like 2

@ Stuart - Yes I will be taking pics. I will need help where everything goes when re-assembling :)

@ Roy - Cheers for the tip. And yes, it's on my 1999 Celsior.

Probably a good chance it is a weak Battery problem.

Just had the same symptoms (click, click) on my wife's car, replaced the Battery and the engine starts fine now with no click, click.

Let's hope that's what it is, so you do not have to replace the starter motor.

• Like 1

About 2 weeks after I did my starter I remember having the exact same symptoms with the click click, turned out I hadn't quite tightened one of the Battery terminals fully.

Never had a problem since.

One good thing about the Celsior is there is no EGR system to worry about and having to remove with that fiddly pipe at the rear of the engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started her up a few times today as well and still no click-click.

I really hope it was the battery. I honestly don't care that I spent £13.50 on a repair kit I might not need :)

I carry one around in the boot just in case I get caught out abroad.- also replacement Serpentine Belt.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links