Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service and MOT yesterday

It was the 5th service (and 3rd MOT) for the IS yesterday and it was mostly OK. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213emot.thumb.png.7502109fa3bc62e3084b3844022386d5.png

Now the MOT concerns me. The main reason being that I've measured them myself and they're 3.0mm across all 4 ridges and I haven't seen "edge wear" on the fronts. Additionally, what constitutes as "close to legal limit". Last time I checked, the legal limit was 1.6mm and the fronts are almost double that lol

Awkwardly, the rear tyres are 3.1mm/4.2mm/5.1mm and 4.5mm/4.2mm/4.0mm. Should mention that one of them is a bridgestone potenza which replaced a punctured Turanza before we bought the car. Other 3 are all turanza so I wonder if its the wider shoulder of the Potenza causing the accelerated wear on the outer edge.

So it appears our car is doing something unusual to most F-Sport's and wearing on the "outer" edges rather than the inner ones. And to top it off, I had an alignment done on the last service which showed exactly the same pattern. So would you say the alignment specs are off or odd tyres?

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I think the term "worn close to the legal limit/worn on edge" is an, either/or/and, statement.

3mm is close to the legal limit if one considers new they would have been 8mm?

Yes I guess so but I would expect there to be a definition of "close to legal limit" otherwise they could put it on tyres which are on 4mm or so. 

I've had this problem in the past, too. I gave up using car dealers for MOTs as a result and ever since I've used the local council testing station, which has no interest in selling you repairs as it only does testing. They told me that worn edges are not an MOT fail.

On your MOT advisory, item 5.2.3.(e) in the MOT handbook says "Tyre tread depth not in accordance with the requirements   Dangerous"

In fact the outer edges can be bald as long as the central three-quarters of the tyre has 1.6mm. 

Here's what the MOT handbook says:

The primary grooves of the tread pattern must be at least 1.6mm deep within the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre (see diagram 1).

Either side of the central three-quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread (‘bald’).

Diagram 1. Primary and secondary grooves in tyre tread pattern

Diagram 1. Primary and secondary grooves in tyre tread pattern

I'm not sure that warrants going on the MOT, perhaps an advisory on the service report. 

As for wear I had a service last week at 15116 miles so similar to yours but the car is on Dunlop SP sport Maxx and two years younger. I think both cars weigh about the same, handling may differ as yours is an F Sport.  You may find it useful ..or not

N/S Front 4.8 4.8 4.8

OS Front 5.1 5.1 5.1

NS Rear 4.9 4.9 4.9

OS Rear 5.2 5.2 5.2

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

would the MOT station be wanting to sell you new tyres maybe ?

Malc

Probably although they didnt give me the usual tyre + pricing sheet

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

It was the 5th service (and 3rd MOT) for the IS yesterday and it was mostly OK. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213emot.thumb.png.7502109fa3bc62e3084b3844022386d5.png

Now the MOT concerns me. The main reason being that I've measured them myself and they're 3.0mm across all 4 ridges and I haven't seen "edge wear" on the fronts. Additionally, what constitutes as "close to legal limit". Last time I checked, the legal limit was 1.6mm and the fronts are almost double that lol

Awkwardly, the rear tyres are 3.1mm/4.2mm/5.1mm and 4.5mm/4.2mm/4.0mm. Should mention that one of them is a bridgestone potenza which replaced a punctured Turanza before we bought the car. Other 3 are all turanza so I wonder if its the wider shoulder of the Potenza causing the accelerated wear on the outer edge.

So it appears our car is doing something unusual to most F-Sport's and wearing on the "outer" edges rather than the inner ones. And to top it off, I had an alignment done on the last service which showed exactly the same pattern. So would you say the alignment specs are off or odd tyres?

In my experience I largely ignore MOT "advisories" (after checking the car myself) as they are subjective - I have seen "advisories" on one MOT then not on the next one! As for tyres tread depth I would measure them yourself as again I have seen measurements made wrongly by garages or recorded wrongly...!

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

In my experience I largely ignore MOT "advisories" (after checking the car myself) as they are subjective - I have seen "advisories" on one MOT then not on the next one! As for tyres tread depth I would measure them yourself as again I have seen measurements made wrongly by garages or recorded wrongly...!

I checked them today and they are what they say they are so I know they're not trying to pull a fast one. 

Did take a look at who did it and its a service tech I dont recognise. I hope my good man Simon hasn't disappeared because I cant remember the last time I had an advisory with him unlike the idiots at kwik fit who put "panels fitted obscuring view" or something like that for advisory on everything

The close to legal limit is pure scare tactics.

Thackeray the text you posted on tyre wear list etc. From what year was that text taken? I ask because I believe a couple or so years ago they changed it to tread depth 100% across the width.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

the text you posted on tyre wear list etc. From what year was that text taken?

It was taken from the government website, current from 20 May 2018. What struck me on rereading it was the emphasis on primary and secondary grooves. I wasn't aware of this before. Apparently the secondary grooves are expected to wear out and only the primary grooves have to meet the 1.6mm requirement; they're the ones with the tread wear indicators. I didn't realise this and had a look on the internet to try and find how long this has been the case. I was only aware that it had to be 1.6mm across the central three quarters of the tyre. I couldn't find when it changed (if it did). But I'm pretty sure that at one time it used not to be spelled out so clearly that the secondary grooves can be worn as long as the primary grooves are ok.

Having said this, I tend to change tyres at 3mm as I've read that wet grip starts to deteriorate significantly below this. 

But I like to know what the MOT requirements are, as it's irritating to have someone fail the car because the tyre edges are worn, when this isn't an MOT fail and probably never has been.

12 minutes ago, BigChange said:

Is that only 16k miles after 5 years ?   Presumably nothing untoward with the hybrid battery ?   Is it miles or time or driving style which impacts most on the battery, or just luck?. 

The number of charge cycles is the main criteria for these batteries so should be fine.

Front tyres wear on the outer edges if you are doing mainly town driving. Roundabouts, tight corners etc all load the outer edge compared to just sitting on a straight motorway.

As Thackeray has stated, many tyre designs don't have full tread depth on the edges (secondary grooves) so they will wear down quickly and may completely go - it is only the centre 75% of the tyre that needs tread at 1.6mm or higher.

2 hours ago, BigChange said:

Is that only 16k miles after 5 years ?   Presumably nothing untoward with the hybrid battery ?   Is it miles or time or driving style which impacts most on the battery, or just luck?. 

Nothing wrong with them. They keep passing the hybrid health check anyway

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Front tyres wear on the outer edges if you are doing mainly town driving. Roundabouts, tight corners etc all load the outer edge compared to just sitting on a straight motorway.

As Thackeray has stated, many tyre designs don't have full tread depth on the edges (secondary grooves) so they will wear down quickly and may completely go - it is only the centre 75% of the tyre that needs tread at 1.6mm or higher.

It's not the front tyres which are wearing on outer edges though. The fronts are fine but close to legal limit

It's one rear tyre - the potenza that's wearing on outside. It has a squarer shoulder than the turanza 

58 minutes ago, rayaans said:

It's one rear tyre - the potenza that's wearing on outside. It has a squarer shoulder than the turanza 

I guess the same will happen to the rears to a lesser extent, rounding off the square edge.

What tyre pressures do you run?

16 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I guess the same will happen to the rears to a lesser extent, rounding off the square edge.

What tyre pressures do you run?

36psi all around

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links