Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it just psychological or it does work ?

Hi all.

My LS430 has 252k miles on clock.

First time yesterday I filled up car with BP Ultimate Unleaded with Active Technology.

I thought why not lets try this. In past I have always used just normal unleaded from any pump any brand.

Before I filled up with BP Utimate my tank was empty and car was running with low fuel warning.

Since yesterday I have covered about 50 miles and it feels like, car is running much better and more responsive.

Is this just in my mind and psychological affect since I know I used Ultimate fuel or this fuel really does work ? 

Thanks

P.S I bought Aygo today for city run about and going to shops etc. Nippy little thing 🙂 and I dont have to take my big Lexus every time. 

road tax £20 only for whole year and insurance is £12 per month only for me. Admiral Multi car thing.

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

I'd have thought it would take a bit further than 50mls for the engine ecu to adapt to the new fuel. 

I certain found the Shell V-Power made a difference to my AMG and I have run nothing but V-Power in my RC from new.

8 minutes ago, katana92_uk said:

I wonder how car would react if now I mix 95 with ultimate or mix n match as in any fuel mixed with any fuel and same for brand. 

It would make no difference whatsoever.

• Like 1

I always run my ls430 on Bp ultimate. My experience is that it definitely runs smoother, with better fuel consumption. I occasionally fill with normal for a couple of tanks, to compare,  but when I switch back the difference is noticeable. That is my personal opinion 

• Like 1

Can > Worms > Opened!

Purely psychological! It will make no difference whatsoever unless your engine is tuned for it and certainly not within 50 miles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

Can > Worms > Opened!

Purely psychological! It will make no difference whatsoever unless your engine is tuned for it and certainly not within 50 miles.

The engine is tuned for it, the ECU has mappings that will exploit the higher octane rating, however whether anything would happen within 50 miles is debatable. 

• Like 4

I frequently visit Manchester, say once every 2 months. 

I am going this coming thursday, will fill up tank with BP ultimate and see how it goes.

Will report back if i notice any thing in MPG or over all performance. 

25 minutes ago, katana92_uk said:

I frequently visit Manchester, say once every 2 months. 

I am going this coming thursday, will fill up tank with BP ultimate and see how it goes.

Will report back if i notice any thing in MPG or over all performance. 

You really need 2/3 tank fills to appreciate the difference in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

You really need 2/3 tank fills to appreciate the difference in my experience.

edinburgh to manchester, local driving and back to edinburgh would be atleast 2 full tanks 🙂 

23 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

In my LS400 I use 95 in the Uk but have to use 98 in France.  Persoanlly I think it runs better on 95 but thats the feeling I get. 

Slightly off topic how often do members change their Fuel filter? 

Good point, not as often as we should probably, but now you've mentioned it I'll definitely get it done at the next service. 

• Like 1

Chris fix did an interesting video on the subject. He did  a reverse flow when testing but intersting result. My 25 year old car I doubt the  filter has been changed?  Got a Motorcraft one (Ford) Is it good enough or should I get oem?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TfTQTmuq4

16 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Chris fix did an interesting video on the subject. He did  a reverse flow when testing but intersting result. My 25 year old car I doubt the  filter has been changed?  Got a Motorcraft one (Ford) Is it good enough or should I get oem?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TfTQTmuq4

brilliant video. I am changing my fuel filter asap.

any one know where it is located ? and is that some thing I can do my self ? as in without ramp etc

I can't help on that but if you'e found one that fits your Car then at least you don't have to worry about the fact that later Toyota's according to Scotty Kilmer (I know I don't get out much) have it located inside the fuel tank. Then requires replacement of a very expensive combined pump and filter unit.  Did he say $500?  

Thank goodness for old technology.

ps Still waiting to be on the road again- Parcel force are absolute rubbish - stuck somewhere in Coventry whilst they no doubt send me a second class letter to say I must pay an import charge before they'll deliver - so frustrating I've almost bought several other Cars from a Honda Legend 2001 to a Volvo S80 just because I'm so fidgety and can't get to Hospital appointments, the Shopping, go to the dump, etc etc.     Doh!!

The fuel filter is located in the halo above the rear subframe on the LS400 mark 4 ,this is an improvement on the location that was relevant to the Mark 1 which was on the rear passenger side rear door cill area.

I think it is located in the halo region of the LS430 and retails between £10 and £15 ON EBAY  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links