Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

That was some game!

I’ll start it off although I’m not sure how many Forum members are sports fans. We don’t seem to discuss sport, including motorsport which is my #1.

That was some game against Ukraine last night. A performance that any other top team would have been proud of.

4-0 in an international football tournament is one hell of an achievement. Well done England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

• Like 1

Completely agree with you and good to see England making  the most of their talent and the obvious respect they have for Southgate and his management. Perhaps too soon to  dream but who knows........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Completely agree with you and good to see England making  the most of their talent and the obvious respect they have for Southgate and his management. Perhaps too soon to  dream but who knows........

Must admit I am starting to dream but I’m trying to keep a lid on it 😀

• Like 1

I personally think it looked better than it was simply because Ukraine arent as great a team as many teams who are already out. The group stages were very much in their favour, in fact it appears the whole tournament has been but maybe thats just the cynic in me!

If they dont win this year I dont think England ever will!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Ooh.....did England win ? 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Wake up man. Pay attention now 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I personally think it looked better than it was simply because Ukraine arent as great a team as many teams who are already out. The group stages were very much in their favour, in fact it appears the whole tournament has been but maybe thats just the cynic in me!

If they dont win this year I dont think England ever will!

Has always been the case in tournaments that some teams get an easier path to the very latter stages

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Has always been the case in tournaments that some teams get an easier path to the very latter stages

Indeed. Holland would have been predicted to get through, and England have already beaten Germany. It’s just how it works sometimes and you need a bit of luck in any tournament. We could have come up against Spain if they’d finished in a different group position too. 

This is a great opportunity for a young team and a pragmatic manager. If they could win the tournament and get the confidence from that then they’d also be in good shape for the World Cup next year. We had a ‘golden generation’ before with Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard etc. and always fell short. Belgium’s ‘golden generation’ has now done the same in the last three tournaments and may not get the chance again. This England squad isn’t as good as either of those imho - or the Spanish squad from recent history who won two Euros and one World Cup - but they do have talent, depth and a lack of fear. So far, anyway!

Well, we can still dream and believe. The rumour is that it’s finally coming home…

14 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Indeed. Holland would have been predicted to get through, and England have already beaten Germany. It’s just how it works sometimes and you need a bit of luck in any tournament. We could have come up against Spain if they’d finished in a different group position too. 

This is a great opportunity for a young team and a pragmatic manager. If they could win the tournament and get the confidence from that then they’d also be in good shape for the World Cup next year. We had a ‘golden generation’ before with Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard etc. and always fell short. Belgium’s ‘golden generation’ has now done the same in the last three tournaments and may not get the chance again. This England squad isn’t as good as either of those imho - or the Spanish squad from recent history who won two Euros and one World Cup - but they do have talent, depth and a lack of fear. So far, anyway!

Well, we can still dream and believe. The rumour is that it’s finally coming home…

Yeah that’s pretty much how I see it. We had a brilliant side in Euro 96 and were very unlucky against Germany in the semi-final. We have a good side this time and we’ve had a bit of luck. So far anyway.

Looking at the quality of play we have seen from England, then I honestly believe they will prevail against Denmark. Importantly, the players in this team want to win, whereas too many times in the past the England teams should have been sat with the spectators!

• Like 1

I was at Wembley in 1994 Eng. v Denmark Terry venebles first match in charge took us to semi in 96. It was a friendly Eng won 1-0. I dont want to put a downer on our chances but England have a good record against Denmark in friendlies not so in competative matches. It will be a close match edge of the seat stuff but we have a great side good manager and i fully expect a victory. We will also be too good for Italy in the final.

It,s coming home folks Believe.

• Like 1

World Cup in Italy was the time I thought we could do it. Italy will be a tough nut to crack as they are masters of the dark arts. That was a fantastic game to watch tonight. It had everything. I thought the refereeing was excellent. In fact all the games I have watched the officials have been very good at letting the game flow!

Heart in mouth tomorrow!

• Like 1

Italia 90, Euro 96 and WC2002 are the three that really stick in my mind as being times when we could have made the final of an international tournament. I’m hoping it will be this tournament when we do finally get there. I’ve seen England win the RWC in 2003 and it would be good to see the same for football. Probably no better chance than tonight to make a final. All one off games though so no guarantees. As I was only 4 in ‘66 I can’t remember that far back!

12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Italia 90, Euro 96 and WC2002 are the three that really stick in my mind as being times when we could have made the final of an international tournament. I’m hoping it will be this tournament when we do finally get there. I’ve seen England win the RWC in 2003 and it would be good to see the same for football. Probably no better chance than tonight to make a final. All one off games though so no guarantees. As I was only 4 in ‘66 I can’t remember that far back!

Well we are there the italians will prove sturdy opponents but i think we can do it. I can remember 66 v Portugal sat in front room at my Grandads and the final i was in Felixstowe at the church lads brigade summer camp memories. Its coming home. 

• Like 1

As always way too much hype when it comes to England play. None of the game looked particularly calculated and they were running around like frantic chickens at times.

Denmark initially looked pretty strong but I don't think they're on the same league as Italy. After the 60th minute they switched entirely to defensive play with no intention of getting through to the final which was quite obvious for all to see. This style of play made England look a lot better, i.e. more offensive. One pretty poor decision by the referee sealed the game.

The hype needs to rest, the players need to put their head down and get the job done. If there's something about luck, it runs out, often when it's most needed

• Like 1

Naturally, I am hoping England will beat Italy on Sunday but I fear the quickness, movement and accuracy of passing of Italy may lead to disappointment.  If it goes to penalties, let's hope Kane, supposedly our best penalty taker, get's the ball in the net at first attempt! 

• Like 1

Well done England!!!

The final will be a one off game and there are plenty of occasions in the past when a better team has lost on the night. Our record under Southgate isn’t too far off Italy’s under Mancini. Of course On paper Italy are the better side but it’s a one off game with a lot at stake and it will depend who can play better under the pressure of such a big occasion. This may or may not be the best team on paper.

I remain very hopeful that England will do it. Last night was a tense affair but overall the stats showed that England deserved the victory. Denmark are a very good side and we deserve a lot of credit for beating them. Italy will be a difficult game for sure but we definitely have a chance and they have my support, 100%.

My thoughts on winning the semi final are of euphoria and enjoyment amd they are not and never will be that we won’t beat Italy. Luckily the players and the manager will not have this defeatist attitude and will give it their all and believe that they can win it.

Come on England!!!!

• Like 2

Does anybody agree with me that the game in general has been spoiled by all the shirt pulling and arm wrestling  and professional fouls that happen so often now? You have to go back a very long to the days before the likes of Arsenal's Story and Chelsea's 'chopper' Harris set the scene, back to the days of artistry of men like Stanley Matthews who could show their skill. Although England do this spoiling  too, I thought Denmark used this tactic overmuch to frustrate England either by tripping, holding, or knocking our team over.  Now when I watched games as a lad........................................................but that was along time ago! 

See also disgraceful behaviour of some of the crowd - very unsportsmanlike :- https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/euro2020/england-charged-by-uefa-over-laser-pointer-and-national-anthem-disturbance/ar-AALURKz?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBoPWjQ   

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links