Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

That was some game!

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Bravo Sergio, you take notice of the English Press but not the Italian ones as you clearly believe them to be untrue. Now take the next step of understanding the true nature of that self-confidence in Zig Ziglars very eloquently described quote : Self-confidence is like going after Moby ***** in a rowing boat and taking the tartar sauce with you 🤣

Surely Sir, you mean Moby****, not Moby ***** ?😉

Other places a dive like that could have been a yellow to the diver, but correct not an obvious error that VAR had to interfere with.

That VAR did not interfere with 2 balls on the pitch is an obvious error from the side of VAR. Unfortunately there is no VAR to control VAR.

England won no matter if referee fault or not.

Next game could be a bummer though. Both teams play boring defensive football trying not to let any goals in.

Hope I am wrong.

Too bad we are not shown South American football here as they play with a lot more finesse and players there are acting as if they like playing, while a lot of European footballers seem to be happier with their bank accounts and showing off their wealth than the game they are supposed to like.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:03 AM, paulrnx said:

Predictions for the Denmark game? I’ll start us off. 2-1 to England I think.

Yay...how much did you put on that result? 😀

8 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Yay...how much did you put on that result? 😀

I do not think any of the teams played fantastic. One goal was good to see (lucky or not), the rest were errors from one or another.

Either one could have won a penalty shootout so that is no problem.

Sunday we will see if I am wrong believing it will be boring defensive football from both sides.

I think italy move the ball well quickly very quickly when they want they will definately put a press on us no doubt about that. England if they get into their passing game together are a match for anybody. Pass be patient then attack with pace we excel at that coupled with strength in depth. It,s coming home alright Believe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ALAW said:

I think italy move the ball well quickly very quickly when they want they will definately put a press on us no doubt about that. England if they get into their passing game together are a match for anybody. Pass be patient then attack with pace we excel at that coupled with strength in depth. It,s coming home alright Believe.

I`ve never seen the England Team you describe Brent since 1970 World Cup.🤣

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, royoftherovers said:

Surely Sir, you mean Moby****, not Moby ***** ?😉

I may be missing some subtle nuance here, but if you chaps are referring to the novel by Herman Melville than neither is correct.

The correct name in the title is Moby-D***.  More precisely, the full title is ‘Moby-D*** or, The Whale’.  Note the hyphen!

The hyphen is only absent in the text.

As a further aside, those familiar with the film version may recall the sad end of the whale and the fate of Ahab who, bound to the side of the dying whale, waves forlornly as they both plunge to their doom.

This was a model built by my Wife’s Father and filmed in the water tank at Elstree Studios.  🐳

• Like 1

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve never seen the England Team you describe Brent since 1970 World Cup.🤣

You will in the final John. Good win for Tranmere yesterday eh.

14 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I mean you never ever see an Italian player go down without contact do you.....

Convinced they all have equity cards.

• Haha 1

I really do want England to win, but I have a confession. As a lifelong Watford supporter, given the choice, I’d choose to see Watford win the Premier League a la Leicester over England winning the Euros or even the World Cup. Every time. I think a lot of club supporters are the same. Interestingly, there was a piece written by Jamie Carragher last week where he noted the mid-2000s England players (the famous ‘Golden Generation’) mostly prioritised their club over their country, but that Gareth Southgate was a bit different about that even then. 

This England squad feels like a tight group, looking from the outside anyway. There seems to be less focus on one or two stars and more focus on the whole group. Let’s hope they do it tonight. Whatever happens I hope there isn’t a controversial decision that gets argued about for the next 55 years!

My prediction is a little more circumspect than that ahead of the Denmark match. I’ll go 7-2 England, with Italy 0-2 ahead at half time. Ridiculous? Probably…but I have seen that scoreline happen in front of my eyes in recent memory, albeit at Vicarage Road against a team not quite as strong as Italy.

Enjoy the game everybody. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LenT said:

I may be missing some subtle nuance here, but if you chaps are referring to the novel by Herman Melville than neither is correct.

The correct name in the title is Moby-D***.  More precisely, the full title is ‘Moby-D*** or, The Whale’.  Note the hyphen!

The hyphen is only absent in the text.

As a further aside, those familiar with the film version may recall the sad end of the whale and the fate of Ahab who, bound to the side of the dying whale, waves forlornly as they both plunge to their doom.

This was a model built by my Wife’s Father and filmed in the water tank at Elstree Studios.  🐳

All very illuminating Len. I do enjoy your Postings--you really should have joined us years ago.👍

I was merely suggesting to Phil that ***** should have been ****, because DIC* is a 4 letter word not a 5 letter word.😊

was it Channel 4 ?  yesterday they showed the colourized   1966 World Cup ..  fascinating to see those brilliant red-shirted UK players in action ...  many looked so old tho'                and they put in ( I guess sound effects ) the " thud " of leather boot on leather ball at appropriate times

Anyone else notice that nuance ? :thumbsup:

Malc

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

was it Channel 4 ?  yesterday they showed the colourized   1966 World Cup ..  fascinating to see those brilliant red-shirted UK players in action ...  many looked so old tho'                and they put in ( I guess sound effects ) the " thud " of leather boot on leather ball at appropriate times

Malc

I watched it too and was disappointed not to see any action replays Malc !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

I also watched that, I was only 7 back in 1966 and cannot remember watching the match on TV back then which would have been black and white of course but I can remember collecting the Esso coins as my Dad worked at a garage.

To see the complete match in colour for the first time was lovely especially with no adverts every 12 minutes on a commercial channel and being in colour as we didn’t have colour TV in the UK until 1969.

What I did notice was there was no “set plays” so if a player got the ball they were off towards the other goal with no back passing like today to get all the players in the “planned” positions. It was literally end to end football with players actually running up and down the pitch for 120 minutes. The nearest they got to any treatment was pulling their socks down because of cramp.

No Academy awards for being pushed over, rolling in “agony” then after failing to get a free kick to spring straight back up. If they went down they got back up, brushed themselves down and continued to play. I can’t even remember seeing a substitution on either side.

The commentators... no in game analysis every time the ball is passed just the name of the player who received the ball leaving the viewer to enjoy the game instead of constant unrequested piffle.

We’ve gone from 22 footballers on maybe £100.00 a week to 22 millionaire celebrities kicking a bag of wind around a pre planned field.

Give me that 1966 match anytime above the computerised game of today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

-you really should have joined us years ago.

And probably would have done so, John, had I not been distracted by nearly twenty years of Prelude / Accord - what I now think of as my Wasted Years.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I was merely suggesting to Phil that ***** should have been ****, because DIC* is a 4 letter word not a 5 letter word.😊

So clearly that WAS a subtle nuance that had eluded me!  I’m just relieved it hadn’t degenerated into a reference to Moby D***’s D***.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:30 AM, Phil xxkr said:

Self-confidence is like going after Moby ***** in a rowing boat and taking the tartar sauce with you

I appreciate that Phil was quoting someone else, but a less generous person than yourself (me, for example) might have pointed out that going after MD in a rowing boat was exactly what they did do.  And since whales are aquatic mammals, tartare sauce would be wholly inappropriate.  Mustard or horseradish would surely be the hunting condiment of a gentleman.  🙂

52 minutes ago, LenT said:

And probably would have done so, John, had I not been distracted by nearly twenty years of Prelude / Accord - what I now think of as my Wasted Years.

So clearly that WAS a subtle nuance that had eluded me!  I’m just relieved it hadn’t degenerated into a reference to Moby D***’s D***.

I appreciate that Phil was quoting someone else, but a less generous person than yourself (me, for example) might have pointed out that going after MD in a rowing boat was exactly what they did do.  And since whales are aquatic mammals, tartare sauce would be wholly inappropriate.  Mustard or horseradish would surely be the hunting condiment of a gentleman.  🙂

me brayne urts!😁

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:58 AM, paulrnx said:

I mean you never ever see an Italian player go down without contact do you.....

All over the world.

Football is not a game of sport. Football is a way of making money. It is a job. Like all other jobs. For some just better paid.

Cheating is common. Not just in football.

The emperor of Rome was not stupid like some seems to think. Give the public bread and entertainment and you will have no revolutions.

• Like 1

It came home again. But does it matter?

Not where many in UK wanted. Hope people behave when going home.

We drive in great cars and that we can be happy about in a forum like this. In my opinion.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links