Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated seats not getting as hot

We've got a 2015 IS300h Exec and the heated seats are hot as hot as they used to be, even when both at level 3 still not very warm, certainty much less than they used be, is there any setting or adjustments that can be made? would this type of thing be covered by the new warranty?  

This may be a red herring, or a load of rubbish, or both, but according to this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-present/841435-heated-seats-and-steering-wheel-not-that-warm-16.html the heat of the seats depends on the temperature setting in the car. 

Edit - if you scroll down to post 245, there is mention of someone having an amplifier changed.

Thanks for the reply, I've tried adjusting the temperature and it made no difference, seems odd that they have both degraded at the same time because drivers seat used more that passengers, hence why I thought it might be a setting. 

They've never been that hot anyway, compared to my Volvo but now hardly noticeable when you need them most!  

Lexus seat-heating has in my experience never been as “aggressive” as that of other marques, e.g. BMW, and I find it useless except at the highest setting.  Could it have something to do with Lexus’ reliability intent?  One occasionally reads about seats catching fire, but I doubt it has ever happened in a Lexus.

Personally, I’ve never experienced age-related heat reduction in either of the seats.  It would certainly be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and any extensions thereof.

Could it be due to the temperature you are feeling less heat?

During the summer our hot water temperature was too hot (had to mix cold with it)

Now we can use the hot comfortably - and we have'nt changed the temperature.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

During the summer our hot water temperature was too hot (had to mix cold with it)

Off on a tangent but how do you heat your hot water?

Nope, nothing to do with outdoor temperatures, not only me but all the family notice it.

46 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Nope, nothing to do with outdoor temperatures, not only me but all the family notice it.

Actually, it is everything to do with outdoor temperatures, and more generally, with the weather.

The used hot water is replaced by cold water entering your tank under pressure. The cold water usually is ground reticulated through pipes. Think about what happens to ground temperature during the winter.

The tank temperature is initially pulled down by the incoming cold water, much more so in winter. The tank element then has to reheat the water, which takes far longer in winter, and, depending on household usage, may NEVER rise to peak summer temperature.

In many jurisdictions, power production is substantially hydro, so network engineers are constantly load balancing the network to avoid draining the lakes too much in dry periods. Hot water reheating causes a huge morning surge in demand, so often lines companies can control and spread the timing of hot water reheating via “ripple control”. Your household power supply may consequently be insufficient over a 24 hour period to fully replenish your tank in mid-winter...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hieronymous said:

Actually, it is everything to do with outdoor temperatures, and more generally, with the weather.

The used hot water is replaced by cold water entering your tank under pressure. The cold water usually is ground reticulated through pipes. Think about what happens to ground temperature during the winter.

The tank temperature is initially pulled down by the incoming cold water, much more so in winter. The tank element then has to reheat the water, which takes far longer in winter, and, depending on household usage, may NEVER rise to peak summer temperature.

In many jurisdictions, power production is substantially hydro, so network engineers are constantly load balancing the network to avoid draining the lakes too much in dry periods. Hot water reheating causes a huge morning surge in demand, so often lines companies can control and spread the timing of hot water reheating via “ripple control”. Your household power supply may consequently be insufficient over a 24 hour period to fully replenish your tank in mid-winter...

No, it’s nothing to do with the outside temperature, I’ve no idea what you mean, I’m talking about the heated seats which have nothing to do with hot water tanks!!

I've had the car nearly 6 years from new, hence 6 winters, it’s only in the last few weeks that they are not heating up as much, previous to that they’ve been fine, not as good as my Volvo but acceptable, now they are useless.

Just want to know if there is any kind of reset, button press sequence etc or they just degrade over time. I’ve tried putting the temperature up but no better.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Could it be some of the pores in the seats have become clogged-up over time with accumulated dirt, cleaning product residue etc?

Thanks for the reply, seats are clean and passenger one is hardly used but still same issue with it. I’ll let the dealer know when it’s next in for service.

20 hours ago, Mikey B said:

Mine have 2 settings - first they just stay on where you set them (1,2 or 3) or they drop back down through 2 then 1 as the cabin warms - could it be yours are dropping back?

Thanks, mine are set to stay on the same as you left them, if they steadily dropped temperature then they would be hot at some point, these barely register.

I read somewhere about holding both buttons down but I think it might refer to the older IS.

• 1 month later...

Sweden is colder than many other countries.

Both Saab and Volvo used to have seat heaters that could boil you and needed to be turned off pretty fast.

Do not know if the seat heaters in the CT function. Never tried them.

Lived in Norway long time ago before cars had seat heaters.

No such thing as bad weather; something as not dressing properly for different climate/temperature.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links