Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

17 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Today I will be moaning about managers who cut you off at the legs just as you are about to get the client over the last hurdle

Start your own business Pete 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc said:

Minister Hacker i.e.Paul Eddington ( RIP ) was the most useful of all MPs and PMs this country has ever seen or will ever see ..........  except PM Boris who is doing a sterling job in promoting sterling and giving this country some sterling effort too ....

but before we all jump on this bandwagon let's just wait and see what the Friday Gray Report brings forth eh !:wink3:

Malc

Yes len, sterling is at 1.20 yet no one seems to comment, had it been 1.02 the media would have been full of it 🤐

44 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Start your own business Pete 👍

It obviously depends on what business you’re in, personal temperament and a host of other parameters.  But it can be the best advice and a life-changing decision.

And once you’ve had a taste of running your own business, it’s almost impossible to go back to working for someone else.  At least, that was my experience! 

6 minutes ago, LenT said:

It obviously depends on what business you’re in, personal temperament and a host of other parameters.  But it can be the best advice and a life-changing decision.

And once you’ve had a taste of running your own business, it’s almost impossible to go back to working for someone else.  At least, that was my experience! 

Perhaps Len, like me, you were always unmanageable 🤣

• Haha 1

Chip Shortages. According to  one of the largest producers ASML it will take 2 to 3 years before the situation will be resolved.

A moan for people waiting on a new car like me but maybe good news for the ones that will keep driving theirs as the value definately will go up.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Chip Shortages. According to  one of the largest producers ASML it will take 2 to 3 years before the situation will be resolved.

A moan for people waiting on a new car like me but maybe good news for the ones that will keep driving theirs as the value definately will go up.

Used prices in the UK are insane , the same in the US apparently. My car is 42 months old and I could sell it back to the dealer for nigh on what I paid for it, just a little under. A neighbour works for LR / Jaguar and they're expecting no real  improvement on delivery dates until 2023. As you say its not a good time to buy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Tell me about it.

Assuming this delivery date is actually kept, I would have been waiting for my new car for almost a year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, doog442 said:

Many 'proper' cyclists have Insurance. They don't have to by law

I find this amazing .  why on earth should cyclists be allowed not to protect other road users from their own causation of accidents etc ?

Wonder if the Motoring Organisations have a view on this 

Has anyone on here been damaged by a cyclist and had trouble claiming on them for repairs etc 

I haven't yet but after my Upchurch village incident I think it's quite likely that some cyclist at some stage is going to cause my car some harm ..  it's just a matter of time methinks

Malc

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

I find this amazing .  why on earth should cyclists be allowed not to protect other road users from their own causation of accidents etc ?

Did you not cycle as a kid Malc ? If you want to instantly cull a completely green mode of transport  and a hobby enjoyed by millions of people of all ages (that actually improves their health) reduces the amount of traffic on the road and cuts carbon emissions then introduce Insurance on the miniscule chance you might actually get hit by a bicycle. My guess is more cars get damaged by supermarket trolleys than bicycles. 

Also how would anyone enforce it? 

As I said though many cyclists do have third party Insurance, often home insurance would also provide cover and there's nothing to stop you pursuing a civil claim against any individual who damages your property. 

24 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Did you not cycle as a kid Malc ? If you want to instantly cull a completely green mode of transport  and a hobby enjoyed by millions of people of all ages (that actually improves their health) reduces the amount of traffic on the road and cuts carbon emissions then introduce Insurance on the miniscule chance you might actually get hit by a bicycle. My guess is more cars get damaged by supermarket trolleys than bicycles. 

As I said though many cyclists do have third party Insurance, often home insurance would also provide cover and there's nothing to stop you pursuing a civil claim against any individual who damages your property. 

From memory the Coalition Government consulted on a ‘licence’ type scheme, along the lines of the old Cycling Proficiency, but it was a non-starter - as @doog442notes it would have been virtually unenforceable and with little benefit but additional cost and administration.

I’ll say again - 90% of Road users, regardless of what they drive or ride are reasonable and just want to get along with their fellow citizens. Most people don’t want confrontation - why would they! 

As in society more widely, generally it is those who take an extreme view who cause problems - ‘fundamentalists’ for a cause if you like - but they really are low in number if not in the noise they make. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Took the words from my keyboard Doog.

We concentrate too much on the word cyclist, when we mean "any 3rd Party."

I`m reading the new text now and it seems eminently sensible to me, although I and many others will need to adjust our rusty skill-sets pretty smartish and seek out our old file marked common sense !😊😊

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

From memory the Coalition Government consulted on a ‘licence’ type scheme, along the lines of the old Cycling Proficiency, but it was a non-starter - as @doog442notes it would have been virtually unenforceable and with little benefit but additional cost and administration.

I’ll say again - 90% of Road users, regardless of what they drive or ride are reasonable and just want to get along with their fellow citizens. Most people don’t want confrontation - why would they! 

As in society more widely, generally it is those who take an extreme view who cause problems - ‘fundamentalists’ for a cause if you like - but they really are low in number if not in the noise they make. 

agreed Ed.

For me it would be a freaking nightmare just the idea to have an accident with a cyclist. I dont care what happens to my car but causing harm to another human beeing is reason enough to always give way even if i am legally not obliged. 2000 kg of steel and 80 kg of tissue and water is not a good combination.

And middle age overweight men in Lycra is also not a good combination!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Took the words from my keyboard Doog.

We concentrate too much on the word cyclist, when we mean "any 3rd Party."

I`m reading the new text now and it seems eminently sensible to me, although I and many others will need to adjust our rusty skill-sets pretty smartish and seek out our old file marked common sense !😊😊

Not under-control horses can be an issue... ( I like horses but only when respected and behaving. )

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PCM said:

Not under-control horses can be an issue.

if I ever see that whilst driving I just STOP and pray they get off the road very very quickly 

and cyclists with extreme attitude really get my goat ...  some think they actually own the road and cars are a blo---dy nuisance ..........  who'd have thought that eh !

Malc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

if I ever see that whilst driving I just STOP and pray they get off the road very very quickly 

and cyclists with extreme attitude really get my goat ...  some think they actually own the road and cars are a blo---dy nuisance ..........  who'd have thought that eh !

Malc

Talking of cyclists with extreme attitude, there's this self-righteous chump https://www.youtube.com/c/CyclingMikey Not that I would ever condone violence, but apparently he received a slap recently.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Talking of cyclists with extreme attitude, there's this self-righteous chump https://www.youtube.com/c/CyclingMikey Not that I would ever condone violence, but apparently he received a slap recently.

he is the type that told your secret to the headmaster back in school. Seems to become some sort of cult hero in some circles though

• Like 1

Given that goverment and local authorities want to encourage cycling, then it would make no sense to apply licences or specific insurance requirements to cyclists. I suppose one could conceivably make a case for local authorities to underwrite any damage caused by an activity they enable and encourage, in much the same way as one can claim for pothole damage, but I can't see them being enthusiastic about the idea.

As has previously been said though, there are plenty of other causes of uninsured damage to cars, like shopping trollies, careless kids playing, dogs off leashes etc. Switzerland used to have a bike licencing scheme and then scrapped it for being too expensive to run, but I believe they have an "almost" mandatory requirement for people to have some kind of third party liability insurance, which would cover such things, and seems to make some sense.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I recall seeing these videos some time ago.

I may be a lone voice here, but the only villains I see are the motorists who are blatantly breaking the Law because they feel entitled to drive on the wrong side of the road rather than wait to turn correctly at the junction.

Stats seem hard to come by, but what I can glean from the local paper (the Ham&High) is that at this junction in Hyde Park, a cyclist was killed last year by just such a driver.  Also in the first quarter of 2020, the Police successfully prosecuted about 40 drivers for this very offence.

This traffic island that some motorists feel entitled to ignore is also a pedestrian crossing.  They might not look left, under the impression that their only danger is from traffic to their right.  I gather that collisions between other motorists, let alone cyclists, at this junction are also common, resulting directly from the arrogant actions of the few.

Although most of us rarely exercise it, it is a Citizen’s duty to report a crime when they see it.  Thanks to what I presume is his Go-Pro, this Dutch cyclist is doing for local Londoners what they could be doing for themselves.  Namely, obtaining unarguable evidence of blatant, irresponsible and potentially life-threatening behaviour by the sort of driver whose contempt for basic road safety endangers all road users.

It’s one of the reasons why I also have a dashcam!

• Like 3

A moan about the limited offer of Lexus in Europe. Compared to the states only a couple of models and no choice in engines. I am convinced there are lots of Lexus customers that want to stay with the brand but simply cannot find what they need and subsequently leave Lexus for another make. A shame really..

19 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

separate the bikes from the other heavier traffic, thats all there is to it. Create bike lanes everywhere

This what they are doing in Leeds and its conurbation to a large extent. The issue is that as you get towards  Leeds City Centre cyclists do not use these expensive green strips of tarmac as using the road allows them to take shortcuts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

as using the road allows them to take shortcuts!

and in Rochester High Street Kent there are many many cyclists that just cycle with impunity the wrong way down this one way road ....  then get annoyed and wave their fists when cars come towards them ..  I s'pose they could just be offering a cheering greeting tho' 😈

Run 'em all over I say and damn the consequences ....... :yahoo:

2 hours ago, LenT said:

a cyclist was killed last year by just such a driver.  Also in the first quarter of 2020, the Police successfully prosecuted about 40 drivers for this very offence.

could this possibly be out of context I wonder :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links