Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cyclists, new Highway Code rules

mdj8

7 hours ago, Shada said:

Cycling is not a great activity. It was invited as a form of exercise for people without the mentality to walk a dog 🤣

Were you drunk when you wrote this? I also have a dog and walk her regularly. Very confused by this idea of "without the mentality to walk a dog", what does that even mean? All dogs need exercise.

15 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I think they also said "sprocket", which I think might be the cassette, either that or it's just bike shop word for "we added £50 to your bill sir"

A sprocket is the toothed wheel the chain sits on. A cassette is a collection of sprockets that sits at the other end of the chain, making up the gears.

11 hours ago, Shada said:

Cycling is not a great activity. It was invited as a form of exercise for people without the mentality to walk a dog 🤣

And there was me thinking it was the kind of excercise for people who preferred not to pick up dog **** 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Were you drunk when you wrote this? I also have a dog and walk her regularly. Very confused by this idea of "without the mentality to walk a dog", what does that even mean? All dogs need exercise.

Maybe Shada had seen this viral video on social media, here is an example exchange 

"

In the video, the user can be heard hysterically berating an EMT who was behind the wheel of the ambulance, "Get out of the bike lane!... You're killing us! Get out of the bike lane!"

The woman did not appear to be actually dying, or in any physical danger at all, during the course of filming the video.

Before confronting the EMT, the woman reportedly vented her frustration about being inconvenienced by a rescue vehicle in her bike lane, saying, "Here's an ambulance in the bike lane. There is a business they can park in. They can block the car lane, they can block the non-existent motorcycle park lane. I am not even half a mile from a home on a rainy day. What the f—k. What the f— k."

Now would you trust her to walk your dog? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Life is too confusing and fast for some Philip.

By the way walking the dog can easily be done on a bike. You peddle the dog walks or runs. ( depends on what make/brand of dog of course). And biking while utterly drunk is also an option but maybe not the best..

Cycling was invented as a means of transport to go from A to B. the recreational part came later. When i grew up bikes were costing 300 euros max and i sometimes stare in awe at the window of the local cycle shop. Very popular and on offer this month the boogaloo trike, kids in front electrically supported and a snap for 6500 euro. The world has gone mad!!

I vaguely remember my secondhand Triang tricycle back in the '50s now  .  gave me much pleasure running up and along the back garden path too

my next endeavour was with a two wheeler when I moved to Brookland on the Romney Marsh in Kent, thinking the roads were actually flat .....  jeez not for me   wore me out all those inclines and potholes and grassed over centres to the roads / tracks

Don't remember incivilities of cyclists then either, not like these days 🥶

Malc

When I was growing up in the 1970s, using a bicycle was pretty much limited to;

- children, including newspaper delivery boys;

- Policemen and Postmen;

- those who couldn’t afford a car.

There didn’t seem to be a ‘recreational’ element, certainly not in the Home Counties where I was. There were far fewer cars and bicycles on the roads, and fewer lorries too, thus less potential for friction between the groups.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

When I was growing up in the 1970s, using a bicycle was pretty much limited to;

- children, including newspaper delivery boys;

- Policemen and Postmen;

- those who couldn’t afford a car.

There didn’t seem to be a ‘recreational’ element, certainly not in the Home Counties where I was. There were far fewer cars and bicycles on the roads, and fewer lorries too, thus less potential for friction between the groups.

Same here.

Even as a kid I didn't really use my bike for recreation in itself,  and more for getting from A to B.

Adult recreation seemed to be mainly smoking, endlessly fiddling with the TV aerial, and wife swapping parties, where throwing your bicycle clips into the bowl didn't have the same appeal 🙂

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Same here.

Even as a kid I didn't really use my bike for recreation in itself,  and more for getting from A to B.

Adult recreation seemed to be mainly smoking, endlessly fiddling with the TV aerial, and wife swapping parties, where throwing your bicycle clips into the bowl didn't have the same appeal 🙂

Ah!

They were YOUR bicycle clips!

I did wonder

• Haha 3

Frist proper week of commuting done, my god what a machine!! 

As agile as my sub 8kg Trek Madone, comfier than my hybrid Boardman, and 250 watts of extra power on demand. 

Honestly it's the most exciting form of transportation I have owned ,:)

52610901988_42b990e4a2_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Frist proper week of commuting done, my god what a machine!! 

As agile as my sub 8kg Trek Madone, comfier than my hybrid Boardman, and 250 watts of extra power on demand. 

52610901988_42b990e4a2_k_d.jpg

How do you prevent that thing from getting stolen? Looks expensive guess you will always take it inside even at work?

41 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

How do you prevent that thing from getting stolen? Looks expensive guess you will always take it inside even at work?

Two D-locks left at work, secure bike shed at 2 locations, and third I take it into a locked in a private office (I work across 3 sites in the city).

I probably should insure it, list price is £5k. 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, Bluemarlin said:

A sprocket is the toothed wheel the chain sits on. A cassette is a collection of sprockets that sits at the other end of the chain, making up the gears.

And here I was thinking sprocket was a salad leaf, a cross between a sprout and rocket (arugula) 😅

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ganzoom said:

mine was my 1950's Triang 3 wheeler methinks ...........  my first set of wheels too  .  I could chase and " fly " everywhere on that and no fear of it being stolen 🥰

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

mine was my 1950's Triang 3 wheeler methinks ...........  my first set of wheels too  .  I could chase and " fly " everywhere on that and no fear of it being stolen 🥰

Malc

3 wheels, chance of major injury I suspect is zero....where is the 'fun' in that?

For me part of the reason I love road cycling is the adrenaline rush of 'just making it' through the corner, Gap, pot hole avoided etc. No matter how many times the tarmac reminds me how body doesn't like hitting the deck, without the real risks there is no adrenaline rush........the new eBike has some real potential for real life risk exposure:)

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg

13 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

some real potential for real life risk exposure:

Excellent  ....  you could introduce Front Line Ukranian forces to it's use for a " real life adrenaline rush "

chasing around Russian forces, wheelies and all, is bound to confuse them and lower their guard

Malc

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Excellent  ....  you could introduce Front Line Ukranian forces to it's use for a " real life adrenaline rush "

chasing around Russian forces, wheelies and all, is bound to confuse them and lower their guard

Malc

...and thats why some people do it. We have very different levels of risk acceptance and control. That's why life is full of variety which is a good thing, but cars though, are just dull compared to anything with only 2 wheels :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Shada said:

Not exactly sure how any of these abusive ads are even funny. Maybe you also thought that all Clarksons jokes dehumanising muslims were also very funny. Really can't believe some of the comments and whatnot on this thread. Always thought better/smarter from Toyota/Lexus owners. Sorry if my remarks are felt as uncalled for.

Drivers kill cyclists... not the other way round. Nothing to be making merry about!

Shafiq - muslim cyclist who also drives an LS430 to work as well as my cycle for the past 20 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ganzoom said:

3 wheels, chance of major injury I suspect is zero....where is the 'fun' in that?

For me part of the reason I love road cycling is the adrenaline rush of 'just making it' through the corner, Gap, pot hole avoided etc. No matter how many times the tarmac reminds me how body doesn't like hitting the deck, without the real risks there is no adrenaline rush........the new eBike has some real potential for real life risk exposure:)

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg

That looks nasty that mate. If thar was shown to a (really good and up to date) tissue viability nurse he/she would definitely be advising some form of pure (quality/Manuka) honey to get on there after you've had it properly cleaned and ensure there's no debri left in.

Hope you get well soon. In the last 12 years of commuting to various hospitals across the regions (racked up some decent mileage and not had to worry about the sometimes non-existant parking), thankfully I've only been knocked off once (chap cut across me whilst it was my right of way driving forward as he turned right across my lane).

I'm really careful (as a driver as well as cyclist) to ensure I'm fully lit up (bright colours/lights) and don't let the arrogant drivers push me into the kerb. Similarly, sometimes I've seen some arrogant cyclist act like complete idiots too (but I'm not sorry, though they should be).

Anyway, get well soon @ganzoom

2 hours ago, Redefined said:

Not exactly sure how any of these abusive ads are even funny. Maybe you also thought that all Clarksons jokes dehumanising muslims were also very funny. Really can't believe some of the comments and whatnot on this thread. Always thought better/smarter from Toyota/Lexus owners. Sorry if my remarks are felt as uncalled for.

The sad reality is angery and hate of all kinds hides well behind the internet. Luckily the reality is in real life most humans are still nice and kind to each other. 

I cycle all the time on UK roads, I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 12 months a car driver has acted in 'aggression' towards me, infact just twice. But clearly me on pedal bike vs a metal box driven by a lunantic is pretty uncool even if its one incident.

Even the 'worst' poster on here in real life I suspect/hope act very differently to their internet egos. As to why people want to be aggressively on the internet?? That's the question Mi5 and the like I suspect keep on trying to work out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Redefined said:

Drivers kill cyclists... not the other way round. Nothing to be making merry about!

Shafiq - muslim cyclist who also drives an LS430 to work as well as my cycle for the past 20 years.

Nothing against Muslims, I'm unsure why you brought that into the mix.

As to why you would think better from Toyota lexus owners is itself a stereo type assumption.

I'm simply not a fan of cycling on roads, it's an inconvenience to other road users it's dangerous as many have pointed out, and I wouldn't use my car on a cycle path. I would never do anything to endanger a cyclist same as I wouldn't start a fight in a pub just because I don't like something.

I only comment on this thread because it's my opinion and I'm entitled to.

Your remarks aren't uncalled for they are your opinion and enjoyable to read.

• Thanks 1

@Shadasorry.. I wasn't meaning you had anything against muslims. I was talking about that team (Clarkson and the other two) have many a time let some of Clarksons Islamophobia comments slide and even look at em amusingly. BBC obviously thought it acceptable that they didn't edit such prejudism out.

Apologies if you thought I was calling you such a thing. Just for clarification, it's been illegal (though maybe not enforced) for many years to ride on footpaths. Bicycles are indeed a road going mode of transport and riding them along the footpath does indeed endanger pedestrians. Hence why I just don't do it...

• Like 1

I vividly remember cycling back in my youth and that was in the 60's and 70's. I did it for pure pleasure and the great thing is there wasn't much in the way of cars on the road back then. I learned oh so much about bike control and how to negotiate obstacles like cars lol. It put me in great stead when I started on motorbikes. Anyway a couple of years ago I thought I'd get my bike out (I bought a good one 20 years ago and hardly used it lol) and use it to go to work 1.5 miles away. Jeez it must have been 18 or so years since I rode it and could I ride it? Eventually after a minute or so. Going to work at 4.45am was easy as it was downhill. Coming home at 4pm OMG ruddy hard. Roads full of kamikaze aholes had no idea I was there. I thought to myself this is not a good idea. 

I have a high respect for cyclists and I for one give way to them. I still have that bike but I'm doubtful I'll ride it again. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links