Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed limits could be lowered to 50mph on UK motorways to protect the environment

Phil xxkr

On 2/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, Phil xxkr said:

Headline from today's paper. Apparently CO2 is no longer the issue it's NO2 now. Another pressure point from the EV lobby no doubt. We should start a sweepstake on what's next 🙁

Funny how they never talk about the Ozone layer anymore (remember the rage in the 90s) it's since been replaced with Climate change!!!   😠

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Funny how they never talk about the Ozone layer anymore (remember the rage in the 90s) it's since been replaced with Climate change!!!   😠

Correct! What about acid rain, or in 1970 Life reported"by 1985 pollution will be that bad only half of sunlight will be reaching the earth, or, "Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”☠️😂

• Haha 1

Headline from today's paper. Apparently CO2 is no longer the issue it's NO2 now. Another pressure point from the EV lobby no doubt. We should start a sweepstake on what's next 🙁

Very old news - believe the story first surfaced a couple of years ago following a trial on a section of the M4 in Wales. There’s a thread on it somewhere!

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Very old news - believe the story first surfaced a couple of years ago following a trial on a section of the M4 in Wales. There’s a thread on it somewhere!

I take the affected part of the M6 daily.. during rush hour you can't do more than 60mph anyway, but on a weekend, everyone just ignores it as it's just for "air quality" like that's gonna make any difference between only 2 exits..

10 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Agreed Ed, but now it's back. Pretty usual tactic, sow some seeds, give them time to germinate, then it doesn't come as any great shock. 🤔

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Correct! What about acid rain, or in 1970 Life reported"by 1985 pollution will be that bad only half of sunlight will be reaching the earth, or, "Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”☠️😂

... and the impending ice-age.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I thought that the Planet was warming up Piers ?

In the 70s when we were young. Now it's the opposite. For now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

I take the affected part of the M6 daily.. during rush hour you can't do more than 60mph anyway, but on a weekend, everyone just ignores it as it's just for "air quality" like that's gonna make any difference between only 2 exits..

Is this in the variable speed limit part of the M6 - if so and the speed limit signs are showing 60mph then they are legally enforceable speed limits just like at any other time so drivers may be fined. Crazy when the motorway is empty like at night - I travel on the M4 in Wales from time to time and when that is quiet in the restricted zones due to "air quality" it is incredibly frustrating - they are starting to issue fines for breaking the reduced speed limits now so all I can is to set the cruise control and try and divert my thoughts to something more positive...!

14 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Is this in the variable speed limit part of the M6 - if so and the speed limit signs are showing 60mph then they are legally enforceable speed limits just like at any other time so drivers may be fined. Crazy when the motorway is empty like at night - I travel on the M4 in Wales from time to time and when that is quiet in the restricted zones due to "air quality" it is incredibly frustrating - they are starting to issue fines for breaking the reduced speed limits now so all I can is to set the cruise control and try and divert my thoughts to something more positive...!

The not so "smart" motorway.. yeah it's annoying. Luckily there are no speed cameras between J6 & J7 where the air quality zone is. 

• Like 2

more b*****

lets add more smart lanes to kill off more people while at it - that should reduce traffic

On 2/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, agent_dess said:

carbon neutral - net zero..!! 

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, royoftherovers said:

I thought that the Planet was warming up Piers ?

And what of the hiatus initially denied? Eventually even the IPCC and the UK Met Office acknowledged that there had been a temperature ‘pause’ in the years after 1998. But they tried to explain this away by suggesting that these natural factors were merely ‘masking the underlying warming trend’, which in due course would re-emerge. Or they suggested that the heat created by man-made warming was only no longer visible because it was ‘hiding in the oceans’.”

This type of behaviour was identified by Thomas Kuhn in his 1962 book, The structure of scientific revolutions. “Long before a paradigm finally comes to be superseded, awkward ‘anomalies’ often come to light, which those within it try to explain without abandoning their belief in the established consensus,” for example, why aren't there more Tropical Cyclones if things are getting warmer? 

Why don't people get it??  The shorter a trip lasts the less pollution there is!! If i can do a blast in 20 minutes and my neighbor obeying the speed limit takes 40 minutes my engine will be running half of his time, so??

20 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Why don't people get it??  The shorter a trip lasts the less pollution there is!! If i can do a blast in 20 minutes and my neighbor obeying the speed limit takes 40 minutes my engine will be running half of his time, so??

Interesting logic Bernard 😊

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Well the issue is, that statement isn't true.

Using your example, dependent on speed and other variables, doing a blast in 20 minutes will produce more than double the emissions than your neighbour doing his journey in 40 minutes at a steady lower speed. There's lab research that proves at 60mph travelling for a few minutes more still reduces emissions significantly compared to travelling at 70mph for a shorter period of time. In reality, the difference is probably even more as we all know most vehicles are blasting down the motorway at 80mph+. 

The problem with the 60mph rules is that it doesnt make any logical sense. If it was about "Air quality" then EV's should be exempt. Maybe its the cynic in me but I reckon its probably a good money maker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Well the issue is, that statement isn't true.

Using your example, dependent on speed and other variables, doing a blast in 20 minutes will produce more than double the emissions than your neighbour doing his journey in 40 minutes at a steady lower speed. There's lab research that proves at 60mph travelling for a few minutes more still reduces emissions significantly compared to travelling at 70mph for a shorter period of time. In reality, the difference is probably even more as we all know most vehicles are blasting down the motorway at 80mph+. 

The problem with the 60mph rules is that it doesnt make any logical sense. If it was about "Air quality" then EV's should be exempt. Maybe its the cynic in me but I reckon its probably a good money maker. 

I support Rayaans !!👍👍🤣🤣

44 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I support Rayaans !!👍👍🤣🤣

So do i !

Same logic. Drive as fast as you can to the petrol station as the tank is almost empty!! 

and yes finances do play a big role here. In the relatively small country of Holland the total sum of speeding tickets in 2019 was around 400 million euro.

This increased dramatically after the fully automatic radar controlled  highways were switched on. 100km allowed. 104 km is 4 too fast is 40 euro next morning in your letterbox. This is controlled by the ministry of FINANCE and a big cash cow.

Not sure about the UK but those figures will be much higher?

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

So do i !

Same logic. Drive as fast as you can to the petrol station as the tank is almost empty!! 

and yes finances do play a big role here. In the relatively small country of Holland the total sum of speeding tickets in 2019 was around 400 million euro.

This increased dramatically after the fully automatic radar controlled  highways were switched on. 100km allowed. 104 km is 4 too fast is 40 euro next morning in your letterbox. This is controlled by the ministry of FINANCE and a big cash cow.

The last nine years saw £1.9billion netted by cameras which now number 3,224 according to Freedom of Information requests to 45 police forces by insurers Tempcover. The cash goes to the Treasury and is given out to councils, police forces and other government departments. Maximum fine £2500 😱

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

In Holland is it just a fine? In the UK points on your license are more of a deterrent than the fine for most people I suspect.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links