Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

High Fuel Costs - Any Changes In Your Driving Habits?

Rabbers

Had I been able to predict the future cost of filling up my car I would have envisioned a scenario in which I would today not only be endeavouring to drive more economically but would also be driving less and walking more, thereby cutting out unnecessary  journeys and acquiring a series of good habits to place alongside what experts tell me would be a significant reduction of my carbon footprint.  However, I regret to say that this has not happened.  I drive as much and as often as I did before, and my attempts to drive smarter have been disappointingly short-lived.  When I ponder these facts, I don’t know whether I should be glad that I can afford an unchanged lifestyle or be ashamed of my lack of will-power and self-discipline.  It would be interesting to know if anybody has succeeded where I have failed. 

• Like 1

Still drive as little as possible.

A CT is comfortable but not a fun machine, so we use it to get our vegetables and so on. Happy we no longer have over-dimensioned fuel guggling engines.

Answer is : no change.

maybe a little more conscious of petrol costs driving both my V8 4ltr Ls400 and the 3.5 ltr Honda Legend too  ... sometimes we're both out at the same time driving and not being too careful etc to just use the one car

and actually focussing on getting better value from shopping less often, just popping out ( in the car ) to get a loaf of bread etc  ( have you tried that Aldi sliced honey drizzled 800gm standard loaf ....  it's just brill ) 

so YES, we have slightly changed our driving habits and YES I do tend to drive at a gentler pace these days too .......

one day a few weeks back I had to fill both cars within a couple of days ..... spent £265  ...  gulp :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

I think I posted this elsewhere but, as an experiment over a few recent long runs, I've tried driving at 60-65 mph instead of 70-75 mph.

At 70+ I'd average around 33-35 mpg, whereas at 60 I was getting 40 mpg. Apart from the improved mileage, I noticed that at the slower speed I rarely needed to use the brakes, which meant less accelerating too, instead of the continual speed up, cruise, slow down, repeat etc that came with the higher cruising speed. I also noticed that it didn't seem to affect the overall journey time,  with journeys almost exactly matching the google maps estimate.

I found it also a lot more relaxing not to treat the speed limit as a target 🙂

• Like 8

I have discovered since the price of petrol shot up I don’t seem to get as many miles for £40.00 worth. 

I have however saved money as the grass has only needed cutting twice so far this season

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I think I posted this elsewhere but, as an experiment over a few recent long runs, I've tried driving at 60-65 mph instead of 70-75 mph.

At 70+ I'd average around 33-35 mpg, whereas at 60 I was getting 40 mpg. Apart from the improved mileage, I noticed that at the slower speed I rarely needed to use the brakes, which meant less accelerating too, instead of the continual speed up, cruise, slow down, repeat etc that came with the higher cruising speed. I also noticed that it didn't seem to affect the overall journey time,  with journeys almost exactly matching the google maps estimate.

I found it also a lot more relaxing not to treat the speed limit as a target 🙂

I realised Donkeys years ago Steve, that it is not the speed of travel which is important it is the number of times you have to stop, that determines the journey time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rayaans said:

… It's honestly peanuts over 10k miles

Agreed.  It’s a view to which I’ve more or less instinctively subscribed all my life, secure in the knowledge that the further I get into my next twenty tankfuls the less I’ll remember what I had been paying for the previous twenty.

34 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

… it is the number of times you have to stop, that determines the journey time.

John, was that intended as a subtle change of subject to the Frequency of Bladder Activity in Lexus Drivers?

• Haha 1

No change whatsoever, even at current prices fuel remains minor cost of car ownership for me. Secondly, what changed my driving habits was covid and not fuel prices, that is - I used to drive to work daily, at least 3-4 days a week and sitting in horrible traffic... and I would do 12-14k miles a year. Now I get to the office once in two weeks at best and most of my miles are actually weekend trips to sea side or visiting friends that tends to be more quiet driving on motorway as well. Besides I only do like 2-4k miles a year now, so fuel literally does not matter at all. 8x£80 is still not even as much as insurance.

And let's not forget - it isn't £640 more, because fuel wasn't exactly cheap even last year, realistically I am paying maybe £20 more per tank now, maybe not even that... that works out to what... maybe 50p per day. So yes - I would like fuel to be cheaper, but in grand scheme of things it was minor expense and the increase despite being annoying really makes maybe few hundred £ difference per year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

John, was that intended as a subtle change of subject to the Frequency of Bladder Activity in Lexus Drivers?

That is a really clever and funny interjection Renato, I did not think about my Bladder at all. I have held that view about the frequency and length of stops for more than 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

No change whatsoever, even at current prices fuel remains minor cost of car ownership for me. Secondly, what changed my driving habits was covid and not fuel prices, that is - I used to drive to work daily, at least 3-4 days a week and sitting in horrible traffic... and I would do 12-14k miles a year. Now I get to the office once in two weeks at best and most of my miles are actually weekend trips to sea side or visiting friends that tends to be more quiet driving on motorway as well. Besides I only do like 2-4k miles a year now, so fuel literally does not matter at all. 8x£80 is still not even as much as insurance. 

I’m very much of a like mind, Linus.  Fuel consumption has never been a consideration when weighed against driving pleasure.

Except in one respect:  I do like to set the dash displays to show the estimated mileage left in the tank!  So I was quite surprised to discover that while my previous Honda Accord 2.2 diesel promised 660 miles on a tankful, the Lexus would only go as far as 330 miles.

Even more surprising, the Lexus tank was one litre bigger.

• Haha 1

I just heard a radio interview with an oil industry analyst.  2022 sales of automotive fuels in the U.S. and Europe are significantly up year-on-year but not as much as anticipated, rapid increases in mobility post-Covid being compensated by the higher number of hybrid and electric vehicles, increased reliance on public transport, and apparently successful  private and corporate efforts to economise in view of higher prices at the pump.

22 hours ago, LenT said:

I’m very much of a like mind, Linus.  Fuel consumption has never been a consideration when weighed against driving pleasure.

Except in one respect:  I do like to set the dash displays to show the estimated mileage left in the tank!  So I was quite surprised to discover that while my previous Honda Accord 2.2 diesel promised 660 miles on a tankful, the Lexus would only go as far as 330 miles.

Even more surprising, the Lexus tank was one litre bigger.

Well I guess I have benefited by not owning Accord, so that is where you went wrong! 

That said diesels on the run are always very efficient, so no surprises there.

12 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I just heard a radio interview with an oil industry analyst.  2022 sales of automotive fuels in the U.S. and Europe are significantly up year-on-year but not as much as anticipated, rapid increases in mobility post-Covid being compensated by the higher number of hybrid and electric vehicles, increased reliance on public transport, and apparently successful  private and corporate efforts to economise in view of higher prices at the pump.

And let's not forget many people did not go back to the office and will never go back, despite government trying to feed it by force. 

It is so funny when they say they care about the environment, but at the same people demand people back to office... despite it being FACT that working from home is the best way to reduce pollution from traveling, it is even more green than cycling or even walking... yet they still demand people to "go out and pollute". Why? Because unsustainable economic grow and GDP inflation is more important than environment, and working from how pretty much destroyed hospitality and other services in the cities, which generates quite a bit in economic output. 

No change in my driving habits whatsoever yet, or at least not due to the price of fuel.

There was a time when only the rich could afford to fly anywhere - and then it came to the masses.

There was a time when only the rich could afford to own a car - and then it came to the masses.

On a global scale we are slowly returning to those times and I truly believe that my generation (I was born in 1958) has had the best of the times when the masses could afford to do things that used to be the preserve of the rich.

I don't want to shuffle off my mortal coil for quite a few years yet but, as a mate of mine says, "I'm glad I'm on the last bus."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a recent trip to Somerset from the midlands via the M5 the average speed was at most 50 mph.

Frustrating for sure & pulled into 2 services that were bulging at the seams so drove straight out, but, my fuel consumption was good (real good) so keeping your foot away from that pedal on the right makes a huge difference (stating the bleeding obvious I know)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Well I guess I have benefited by not owning Accord, so that is where you went wrong! 

Now that’s fighting talk, Linus!  😀

It was a 2.2 i-DTEK which I had for six years until it was written off on the M25.  I chose Honda on the strength of my previous Prelude which I’d had for 10 years and 120k miles.

Both cars had only ever had basic servicing - not even any minor problems that I can recall.  And I would have had another Accord - except they were no longer sold in the UK.

I got the Accord when motorists were being encouraged to buy diesel - and never felt there was any lack of performance.  Equally, the excellent consumption figure was not a factor when I bought it.

Fortunately it also wasn’t a consideration when I got the Lexus!  That 2.5 V6 is a delight - but frugal it ain’t!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

No change in my driving habits whatsoever yet, or at least not due to the price of fuel.

There was a time when only the rich could afford to fly anywhere - and then it came to the masses.

There was a time when only the rich could afford to own a car - and then it came to the masses.

On a global scale we are slowly returning to those times and I truly believe that my generation (I was born in 1958) has had the best of the times when the masses could afford to do things that used to be the preserve of the rich.

I don't want to shuffle off my mortal coil for quite a few years yet but, as a mate of mine says, "I'm glad I'm on the last bus."

Indeed, Herbs.  As you do, I feel the immediate post-war (WWII!) generation has been amongst the most benefitted in terms of income, living standard improvements and disposable income of all the UK generations.

We're not the most 'affluent' of the Western countries, and, ignoring ALL, but ALL, political stances and opinions, we are certainly amongst the most fortunate.

We are also at the forefront of the increasing awareness of the planet's problems (AKA on the last bus) - I'd suggest we've even booked the front seats on the upper deck.

But to answer the question - 'have fuel prices affected my driving'?    I'd have to answer, possibly, probably and maybe, but the very act of owning an hybrid car has sparked my naturally competitive elements. I always try to achieve a better result than last time, (just as I always tried to improve my performance on the b'stard rowing machine in the gym* - *(now many years behind me)).

The only thing that has upset 'The Quest' is E10 fuel, but the desire to ever improve is quietly winning the day.

The most satisfying aspect of being a competitor,

is when one is a winner!

Edited by Illogan
Grammar!!!!#
  • Like 1

The only change for myself is not due to the increase price of fuel but due to taking early retirement at the end of June resulting in now only having to fill up once a month rather then 3 times a month. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, Malc said:

one day a few weeks back I had to fill both cars within a couple of days ..... spent £265 

it's getting a little more bearable .  at the weekend .  both cars to fill-up cost me only   £211    ... so it's def getting cheaper / less expensive :whistling:

Malc

11 hours ago, Herbie said:

and back again .  believe me, I know this .. typical flight costs have just about tripled since the end of covid in the UK  ..........  and the airports globally are just about the worst places on earth to spend 3 hours waiting for that plane seat 

Notwithstanding, my business has never been so busy selling air tickets .  people must be MAD .  .......but the coffers here in sunny old Kent seem to be overflowing with the potential to buy a brand new big Lexus or two right now ........  but I won't coz I still dream that I have the best Lexus ever ....  my Mk3 Ls400 :thumbsup:

Malc

11 hours ago, LenT said:

Now that’s fighting talk, Linus!  😀

It was a 2.2 i-DTEK which I had for six years until it was written off on the M25.  I chose Honda on the strength of my previous Prelude which I’d had for 10 years and 120k miles.

Both cars had only ever had basic servicing - not even any minor problems that I can recall.  And I would have had another Accord - except they were no longer sold in the UK.

I got the Accord when motorists were being encouraged to buy diesel - and never felt there was any lack of performance.  Equally, the excellent consumption figure was not a factor when I bought it.

Fortunately it also wasn’t a consideration when I got the Lexus!  That 2.5 V6 is a delight - but frugal it ain’t!  

Not at all... same as I got spoiled by IS250 and now I can't accept IS200/300h as one is too thirsty and rough, the other too slow and both sounds lame. Same for your - you got used to 660 miles tank, so it is hard to accept 330 miles tank. You got spoiled by the era of diesel range, whereas I never owned diesel so I don't know what it was like 😄 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Not at all... same as I got spoiled by IS250 and now I can't accept IS200/300h as one is too thirsty and rough, the other too slow and both sounds lame. Same for your - you got used to 660 miles tank, so it is hard to accept 330 miles tank. You got spoiled by the era of diesel range, whereas I never owned diesel so I don't know what it was like 😄 

Have recently driven from Rouen to home on Wirral (650 miles) on less than one tank of Diesel in the Merc.Unable to achieve 450 on one tank of Petrol in the GS. 

• Like 1

I think my best tank ever was like 44MPG, so 600 miles are possible in IS250, but with average being closer to 30 to maybe 38 on the run this means ~450 miles is more usual. Not horrible, but not amazing either.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links