Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hybrid System has Stopped, Please put shift lever to P

Had this a couple of times now,

I tend to sit in the car at lunchtime and listen to music in Accessory mode, until the car automatically switches the music off to conserve Battery.

When I then try and start the car, I get the message "Hybrid System has stopped, please put shift lever to P", although it is already in P. I then can't get it to start. It just keeps beeping with the message.

It is still on the original 12V Battery since 2015. Is it time for a new Battery?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

How have you started the car on previous occasions?

Personally I wouldn't recommend sitting with the car in Accessory mode as you have found you run down the 12v Battery. Much better would be to leave the car in Ready mode, in Park and let the car manage the traction Battery charge level by running the ICE as needed. Additional benefit is the climate control still keeps one cool/warm ...

• Like 7

My experience, do not sit in the car and listen to music in accessory mode, it drains the Battery that will cause issues while starting. Always keep your car ignition on. That charges the Battery and let you listen to music etc. I guess you can check the Battery health check done before making a call to change it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I tend to sit in the car at lunchtime and listen to music in Accessory mode, until the car automatically switches the music off to conserve battery.

When I then try and start the car, I get the message "Hybrid System has stopped, please put shift lever to P", although it is already in P. I then can't get it to start. It just keeps beeping with the message.

It's doing exactly what it's designed to do.

By leaving it in accessory mode and making the car turn off to conserve Battery, the hybrid system has stopped. I would have thought a full off/full on cycle would then resume normal working again.

22 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It's doing exactly what it's designed to do.

By leaving it in accessory mode and making the car turn off to conserve battery, the hybrid system has stopped. I would have thought a full off/full on cycle would then resume normal working again.

Thats what I thought, but what is a full off/full on cycle? It seems more than just a few seconds. After you lock the car and walk away you hear various systems buzzing as they power down. Perhaps this is why it works again after a longer delay.

23 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Thats what I thought, but what is a full off/full on cycle? It seems more than just a few seconds. After you lock the car and walk away you hear various systems buzzing as they power down. Perhaps this is why it works again after a longer delay.

Those clicks,clunks and buzzes were one of the first entries mentioned when I read the Owners Handbook more than 10 years ago Paul.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Those clicks,clunks and buzzes were one of the first entries mentioned when I read the Owners Handbook more than 10 years ago Paul.👍

Any you can still remember, I'm impressed ! 🙃

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

On the very rare occasion it's happened to me I've just pressed the button to shut down the car, wait for the whirring/buzzing sounds to stop (only a few seconds) and then foot on brake and press power button, and it's worked.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

If I leave it for 10 minutes, then try again it starts. I think it has convinced me to get a new 12V battery.

My guess is that if you leave it for 10 minutes this is long enough for the Battery to recover enough to get the computers going and into Ready state. Check the voltage if you can but it sounds as though a seven year old Battery is being drained by the radio just enough to prevent it having enough power to get all the systems started until it's had a bit of time to recover.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Check the voltage if you can but it sounds as though a seven year old battery is being drained by the radio just enough to prevent it having enough power to get all the systems started until it's had a bit of time to recover.

This.

Either your Battery isn't fully charged and therefore drops too low before the system does its cutout, or the Battery is old and isn't able to hold as much capacity as it once did. Charge it up fully with a Battery charger and see how it holds up, but given its age it will probably need to be replaced.

Whether you need a new Battery or not, I would advise you put the vehicle in ready mode rather than just ACC mode if listening to audio. Even with a good Battery you are just discharging/cycling it which will ultimately shorten its life.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Had this a couple of times now,

I tend to sit in the car at lunchtime and listen to music in Accessory mode, until the car automatically switches the music off to conserve battery.

It is still on the original 12V battery since 2015. Is it time for a new battery?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

I often sit and listen to music in the car, always in ready mode. Have been doing this years and nothing has happened. Just had service with hybrid check and all OK.

11 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I often sit and listen to music in the car, always in ready mode. Have been doing this years and nothing has happened. Just had service with hybrid check and all OK.

Nothing will happen John except an occasional engine fire up  and shut down as the C.P.U monitors the need to recharge the H.B.

The problem arises when new owners don`t bother to read the Owners Handbook and then complain that the Toyota/Lexus Hybrid System is rubbish as the Battery in their previous Audi/BMW/Merc etc never went flat when they listened to Radio etc in their car.

• Like 3

I've had the same message in my 2020 IS300h. I remember the message came up once when I had the door open for a few minutes, and therefore the interior light was on. Then the car would not start and the message "Hybrid System has stopped, please put shift lever to P" appeared. The Lexus dealer checked the 12V Battery and it was obviously defective. The thing was only 1.5 years old at the time and the dealer could hardly believe it. The car was still under warranty, so the replacement cost me nothing. With the new Battery I have not seen the message again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Just for peace of mind, I've had a new battery fitted by Lexus Chester today for £212.95 including discount for having (had) a service plan.

Paul

Did you have any symptoms of 12v Battery failure? My I Battery is now 8 years old (123k miles) but I can leave it 10+ days and the car starts without a problem at the moment.

The only symptom was that as described above, after using the Battery to listen to music (in accessory mode) for 20 minutes the car would not start, which it used to do when new.

Sounds like your Battery is fine but if you start to get strange electrical gremlins it could be on the way out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links