Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trans Oil Change

Although the transmission oil of a gsf etc, is meant to last 'for life' many 'in the know' recommend changing it periodically as the definition of 'for life' is not to be interpreted literally (i.e. manufacturers only consider an upper mileage age limit on the life expectancy of their vehicles that is often considerably lower than they tend to remain in use in practice). 

It seems that it may be prudent to do a transmission at 6 years or 60k miles - 2017 GSF will be 6 years old next year.

Has anyone had their 'sealed' transmission oil changed at a dealer - I'm wondering whether they will do this when it is not a scheduled service item? 

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

@Rob RCF had his done after some persuasion, mine is already 6 years old, but I was going to do it myself but honestly forgot, so with service due soon, I'll be asking them to do it on mine too 🙂

Can you keep me posted? Mine isn't due its next (6 year) service till August.  Thanks 😉

Had it done automatically last service 80K Km. Was actually surprised, as I have heard it will last forever or a lifetime or whatever it is supposed to be called. Just gave the car to service and without mentioning anything. Think it is good, as no oil last forever.

Told all is just like it should be, so car must be fine according to Lexus. Fuel consumes not so much. Mountains are no good for hybrids. around 7L/100Km.

Same driving style, same places, VW Golf 2.0tdi DSG only 5L/100Km.

CT is much nicer to drive than the Golf and ML audio is great.

• Like 1

Yes I had mine done in June this year. It didn't take much persuasion actually, I just asked if they had time to do it while it was in for the major service. The dealers will sometimes try to talk you out of doing stuff that isn't part of the normal schedule though, I think they are well-intentioned and just trying to save you from doing work that doesn't "need" doing. Just be persistent, remember it's your car and your decision.

It's not a sealed unit, it can be drained and filled like any other transmission. The dipstick is built into the drain plug and it's all part of the refill process which involves deliberately overfilling the oil and then bringing the trans up to temp which lets the excess oil drain out. Watch The Car Care Nut's videos about it on youtube if you want to learn more, he explains it in great detail.

And yes you want to do a "drain and refill" every 6 years or 60k miles. Not a flush, and don't do it more often than that either. It's not like engine oil where you want to get as much out as possible, you actually want to leave some old oil in there as it contains clutch material which helps the clutches work.

Some people claim they "changed the fluid now the trans shifts so much better" etc. In my experience there wasn't a big change. Maybe a little smoother when cold or more consistent shifts, stuff like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Yes I had mine done in June this year. It didn't take much persuasion actually, I just asked if they had time to do it while it was in for the major service. The dealers will sometimes try to talk you out of doing stuff that isn't part of the normal schedule though, I think they are well-intentioned and just trying to save you from doing work that doesn't "need" doing. Just be persistent, remember it's your car and your decision.

It's not a sealed unit, it can be drained and filled like any other transmission. The dipstick is built into the drain plug and it's all part of the refill process which involves deliberately overfilling the oil and then bringing the trans up to temp which lets the excess oil drain out. Watch The Car Care Nut's videos about it on youtube if you want to learn more, he explains it in great detail.

And yes you want to do a "drain and refill" every 6 years or 60k miles. Not a flush, and don't do it more often than that either. It's not like engine oil where you want to get as much out as possible, you actually want to leave some old oil in there as it contains clutch material which helps the clutches work.

Some people claim they "changed the fluid now the trans shifts so much better" etc. In my experience there wasn't a big change. Maybe a little smoother when cold or more consistent shifts, stuff like that.

Thanks Rob...as you suggest, I will insist the dealer does it with the major (6 year) service in August. Do you remember the cost by the way?

I watched the car care nut videos....he explains the process vary well. It looks pretty straightforward and at one time I'd have done it myself, but I don't have thevtime or inclination anymore!

12 hours ago, Pielight said:

Thanks Rob...as you suggest, I will insist the dealer does it with the major (6 year) service in August. Do you remember the cost by the way?

I watched the car care nut videos....he explains the process vary well. It looks pretty straightforward and at one time I'd have done it myself, but I don't have thevtime or inclination anymore!

I think they just included it in the cost of the service (around £800) so I'm not sure about the cost of the work in isolation.

Yeah I might be able to tackle some of this stuff myself too, the trouble is it can easily get quite difficult if you don't have the proper equipment, tools, etc. You also need a level surface. I used to work on my old Hondas at home, it was usually a struggle though, limited tools and experience, sometimes the car was in pieces for days while I waited for new parts.

4 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

I think they just included it in the cost of the service (around £800) so I'm not sure about the cost of the work in isolation.

Yeah I might be able to tackle some of this stuff myself too, the trouble is it can easily get quite difficult if you don't have the proper equipment, tools, etc. You also need a level surface. I used to work on my old Hondas at home, it was usually a struggle though, limited tools and experience, sometimes the car was in pieces for days while I waited for new parts.

That's impressive they did it with no extra charge. I got the diff oil changed alone and that was priced at £140, so you done really well there.

I was also quoted £800 for 6 year/60k mile service, but have it included in a 3 year service plan.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 7:18 PM, Pielight said:

That's impressive they did it with no extra charge. I got the diff oil changed alone and that was priced at £140, so you done really well there.

I was also quoted £800 for 6 year/60k mile service, but have it included in a 3 year service plan.

Yeah they are always really good to me for some reason. Last time the car was in they found my passenger side wiper rubber was starting to tear and they replaced both wiper blades free of charge.

44 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Is diff oil in the service schedule - does anyone know? And if so, when/how often?

Looks like the differential oil should be inspected every 18 months/15k miles. Not sure when it's best to change it, maybe every 6 years. I intend to get mine done soon, along with the coolant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Yeah they are always really good to me for some reason. Last time the car was in they found my passenger side wiper rubber was starting to tear and they replaced both wiper blades free of charge.

Looks like the differential oil should be inspected every 18 months/15k miles. Not sure when it's best to change it, maybe every 6 years. I intend to get mine done soon, along with the coolant.

My rear diff oil was changed at my most recent 4yr full service.  Car has done 16k miles

9 hours ago, BillNick said:

Is diff oil in the service schedule - does anyone know? And if so, when/how often?

Every 20k miles or 2 years for my GSF. I was surprised at frequency - it could be down to the torque vectoring diff fitted as standard on the GSF.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

On the ISF it's an annual inspection and changed every 3 years, so maybe the RCF has better oil or diff 😄

Looks like the diff oil change is the same year on the schedule as the ATF inspection/replace.

12 hours ago, Pielight said:

Every 20k miles or 2 years for my GSF. I was surprised at frequency - it could be down to the torque vectoring diff fitted as standard on the GSF.

I'm going to check my service receipts as my RCF has TVD so it should have been done on the time factor as the car has only done 12K miles.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Our GSF is currently at Bristol Lexus for its fuel pipe recall ( second attempt) , service and MOT. I arrived yesterday morning to be told that my Service and MOT was not booked in 🤦🏽‍♂️. This was quickly rectified, but my car would need to stay for a couple of days ( no issues there). I asked them to also change the transmission oil and was give the ‘sealed for life’ story, before being hit with a £450 quote.  To add salt in the wound, I was given the most basic car they had, when the other costumer who turned up around the same time as myself, walked away with and RX500h as his courtesy car 😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's way too much £ !! You can get 5 litres of the fluid for less than £50 on lexus parts direct and it doesn't take hours to do either. Draining the transmission pan and refill is roughly 3.7 litres. Give Lexus Swindon a call (lexus parts direct) I'm sure the price will be less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F.A. said:

Our GSF is currently at Bristol Lexus for its fuel pipe recall ( second attempt) , service and MOT. I arrived yesterday morning to be told that my Service and MOT was not booked in 🤦🏽‍♂️. This was quickly rectified, but my car would need to stay for a couple of days ( no issues there). I asked them to also change the transmission oil and was give the ‘sealed for life’ story, before being hit with a £450 quote.  To add salt in the wound, I was given the most basic car they had, when the other costumer who turned up around the same time as myself, walked away with and RX500h as his courtesy car 😡

Does seem steep, Cheltenham has a dealership that seems to be fair, that’s not too far away is it? Sounds like less that ideal service.

I get that it’s cheap to buy the parts but suppose how inclined someone is to do it themselves on a car under warranty and only a few years old.  If the cost was £150ish then its palatable, not sure I’m going to do it myself though! still got a few years before I need to worry about it mind you.

Ive done worse and knowing me I’ll end up doing myself and swearing the whole time.

• Like 2

Take it to a Toyota dealer, probs get a better quote!

I echo the annoyance about a pants car. I had nothing but CT's other than my last service, a UX instead, which tbf was actually quite pleasant to drive. I did ask about an LC and was considering one for a while, but a no go 😞

I just sit and wait, connect to the wifi and work from the dealer now, not worth the bother. Can take phonecalls outside and have a good nose about the inventroy stored round the back too 😛

• Like 1

Yes, let’s just say that I didn’t go ahead with the transmission oil change. They tried to justify the cost. Apparently the oil was £90 🙄 and it was very labour intensive. Very disappointing really. They were adamant that as it wasn’t a recommended procedure, the warranty will still cover it, if the transmission went bang. 

@hockeyedwards I would love to wait around and work from the dealership, but unfortunately it’s not possible, in my line of work.  I was lucky enough to be give an LC V8 once by the previous, previous service manager, Raj. He always made a big effort and was fantastic. Unfortunately the dealership has changed hands at least twice in the last few years and all the old school staff have long gone, apart from the host Lisa, who is also fantastic.  

@Jgtcracer, yes I think they just didn’t want to do the work so priced it accordingly. I usually don’t have a problem paying the main dealer F car tax but £450 doesn’t sit right to me.  I might try Cheltenham just for comparison. 

• Like 2

Looking at the title of the thread I wondered if it was about gender fluidity and cars mechanics, LOL!

The problem with any dealer is knowing the have done the job properly, I had mine done at 80k last service, but on the ISF I have been told they need to pump the old oil out, and that there is no drain plug, but that may have been incorrect info they told me?  Still having done is a good call as it hopefully avoids any transmission issues in the next 50k+ miles of the car's life....

• Haha 2

A pet hate of mine is the number of 'experts' who really don't know what they're on about.

Please watch the video below. 

When I took my is250 for its annual service at Lexus Stockport I asked them to do a transmission oil service. Yes they said its not necessarily yada yada but I persuaded them. I was charged £180 for labour and 2 litres of oil. Last year I asked for a diff oil service. To my surprise they did it FOC.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links