Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Digital Camera.

Bob King

Guys ,a bit of advice please.......i'm starting to feel my old Fuji Finepix A201 digital camera is due for an upgrade, 2 years back 2 million pixel seemed just fine,but now 4 or 5 million seems the way to go, and a optical zoom seems a must.

I spent about £170 last time, seems i can spend less now and get allot more, any advice on what to buy ,and any reputable on line places to use would be much appreciated :) .

And before i get shot down :P , i did do a search, but the last time this was asked Dec 2003, i hope camera technology as moved on since then :winky:

Bob.

Bob, I am a Police Surveillence Camera Instructor.

If you are going to be @ Bunters ..... I will explain what the best camera is to buy, and what to look for in a camera, obviously depending what you need it for.

Cheers.

Cannons are quite basic though I found. FujiFilm make excellent cameras and would recomend them to anyone for every day use to proffesional use.

I wouldn't advice Fuji for professional use ......... Nikon is better .....

Cannons are quite basic though I found. FujiFilm make excellent cameras and would recomend them to anyone for every day use to proffesional use.

I wouldn't advice Fuji for professional use ......... Nikon is better .....

What would you suggest then Mr. SF :blush:

As i am also in need of an upgrade

More reviews here

http://www.dpreview.com

I consulted this website for many weeks before purchasing my £550 Sony V1.

Obviously the camera was only out for a total of 3 days before it was delivered to my door :D I've been a happy bunny since, and the counter is now at 6000photos. Of which i have ALL saved on my home pc.

My choice would be the sony range, if your budget allows it. :)

#

Cameras are not all about the features.. its the Lens that should be considered over every other feature! Canon and Nikon are right up there.. they did not get there with fancy features

#

Cameras are not all about the features.. its the Lens that should be considered over every other feature! Canon and Nikon are right up there.. they did not get there with fancy features

Sony V1... one of the main reasons i chose this was because of the Vario Sonar lens.... very high quality.

Bob, I am a Police Surveillence Camera Instructor.

If you are going to be @ Bunters ..... I will explain what the best camera is to buy, and what to look for in a camera, obviously depending what you need it for.

Cheers.

Sorry to say , i can't get out for the Bunters meet ;)

The sort of spec, i think i want, is 4-5 MP, optical zoom, sound and movie capture, 2.0 LCD, with SD or MS memory card, to be used for car photos and general household use (kids, cats , etc.) :)

I got a Kodak DX7630 6.1 M Pixel with 3x Optical zoom and 10x? digital zoom. Quality is superb. I also loke the "docking port" you just sit it on and press the button and off your pics go

Hmmm..seems i've got an extra complication, the new XD format for memory cards is not compatible ( well i don't think so anyway ? )with my less than year old PC, i have a 6 in 1 card reader, smartmedia and compact flash seem to have gone out of date , so the options i have are MMC, SD or MS.

looking at an Argos catalogue, the SD format is the way to go, i just hope its not cutting my choices down of a very good camera.

Hmmm..seems i've got an extra complication, the new XD format for memory cards is not compatible ( well i don't think so anyway ? )with my less than year old PC, i have a 6 in 1 card reader, smartmedia and compact flash seem to have gone out of date , so the options i have are MMC, SD or MS.

looking at an Argos catalogue, the SD format is the way to go, i just hope its not cutting my choices down of a very good camera.

You don't need to use a card reader.

The camera will come with a usb lead that will allow it to connect to the PC for file transfer.

The other option is to buy an xD USB card reader for a total of around £6

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7510785253&rd=1

I got a Kodak DX7630 6.1 M Pixel with 3x Optical zoom and 10x? digital zoom. Quality is superb. I also loke the "docking port" you just sit it on and press the button and off your pics go

10 x Digital Zoom is pretty crap.

You need a decent "optical" zoom, over the digital zoom ........

Optical Zoom will magnify the image to an "optimum" level ...... then the digi zoom enhances that zoom even more, ...... losing resolution on the way !

Mr SF,

Since you know so much about digital cameras...what do you think of this one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=83271

I am after a pretty cheap camera and for the price it seems amazing spec i.e 6.3MP for £140 inc Vat! :D

I know Acer are better known for Laptops and PCs but the camera does look good. I have searched for some reviews and only found one - but it was in Danish (I'm abit rusty on my Danish :lol:)

I do use Acer products alot at work and have found them to be excellent quality at great prices.

Forget it ........ it's crap.

6.3MP - you are never going to use that resolution. max 3.2mp is fine for everyday use, anything bigger - and it becomes pointless, as the files are well in excess of 1-2mb each.

It has no optical zoom, only a 4.4 digital zoom. - again you want something with a good optical zoom, (3 at the least)

People tend to just see a High Mega Pixel camera ... and think they are good.

If you can afford it ........ get your self a decent Digital 35mm SLR Camera. (£600-£6,000) price range.

OR for an everyday "snap and shoot" camera .... I'd advice an all round good camera being the Casio Exilim

This is a 5mp one, bit costly, but decent :

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...clickfrom=image

Has a good optical zoom, and digital zoom.

The thing with these snap and shoot cameras, they use up batteries like there is no tommorrow. So you need to invest in one with a rechargeable Battery, like the Exilim comes with.

You can get the 3.2mp version of that camera for a lot cheaper ....... I'd advise that. :D

Forget it ........ it's crap.

Please ScarFace say what you really think! :P :P :lol::lol::tomato:

The camera does actually have 3x Optical Zoom (says so on the specs page)...oh well...just saw it on the off-chance as was impressed as you say by the "big numbers"! :excl:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links