Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another One Bites The Dust

UKPulse

06:45 this morning - busy dual carriageway, congestion, I slowed down and stopped at the back of a queue of traffic in lane #2. Sat there behind a white van minding my own on a business. Mint '03 reg IS300, 22K miles, pride & joy.

06:45½ this morning - almighty crash, woman behind fails to notice I've stopped. Hits me so hard I'm pushed up the road into the back of the van that I was 8ft behind seconds earlier!!! There is an '03 reg Fiesta where my boot used to be.

Priorities changed - wrecked IS300, just so much metal, at least I'm relatively ok (just bruising & whiplash). Don't know what will become of the car - an '03 IS300 Nav, worth around £17K(?), looks wrecked but I'm no expert. If the repair bill is > £8-9K it's a write off? At least I'm not at fault and have got all the other drivers details (she's with Direct Line).

Only managed one hasty phone-photo as the car had been loaded for towing. That was the 'better' side!

post-976-1133181692.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mishap :(

Creased rear quarter panels are never going to be good. What you must take into account with the repair bill is the cost of providing you with a cover vehicle etc etc, this soon eats into the % of the cars value for repair or write off.

Difficult to tell without a clearer photo and as i'm not an insurance or repairs assessor my opinion is technically useless!

Glad to hear you're ok though - keep an eye on your neck for a couple of days - whiplash can be a funny thing.

Sorry to see that, mate. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago - just gone in this morning for repair. Wasn't as bad as yours, but I was quoted around £3k.

My neck wasn't too bad on the day it happened, but for two days after it was stiff and sore. Just hope yours isn't any worse than that.

Blimey, there's a lot of ppl smashing into Lex's aren't there?

That looks almost identical to my car at the start of the year (except my bumper managed to stay on), and that was repaired ('02' IS200 Auto Nav) so yours should be repairable as long as the chassis hasn't been breached. My repair bill was around £5k, on a car that was prob worth around £12k (?)

Although, as the car was being towed, is it undriveable? (in which case it may be more damaged internally)

Sorry to hear that mate.. :crying:

By the looks of things it will need to be put on a jig, that rear quarter panel's a mess. Probably need a new floor aswell. Check the gaps on the rear doors too..

Like Am said, claim for what your due, and I hope the cars repaired to how it was before the incident.

Let us know how you get on...

ouch ouch ouch!!! :crying: that is not a pretty site...

your IS makes mine look like it had a minor graze with a leaf...

hope you are well, i suggest getting a good massage on your neck before the pain kicks in... no amount of money can cost irrepairable damage to your health and body!

best wishes...

She must have been doing a fair rate of knots by the look of the damage.

Did she get her make-up finished before she hit you, you would not believe that number of women I've seen doing just that whilst driving on a morning up to London.

Main thing is you are OK mate the car can be fixed or at worst replaced. And like Am says claim for the whiplash.

I've followed women drivers in the morning,and the odd one has been doing her hair or makeup in the rear view mirror.................did she have a lipstick smear on her face...................Still cars can be repaired, or replaced..............Hope you're not too sore

gutted for you mate. make sure you claim for whiplash... my sister recieved good money for her whiplash injury..

But pleeeeeeeeeeeeease only claim if you do have whiplash - great money making scam but it all puts up the insurance premiums. I hate these no win no fee things that get money for those people who don't really deserve it and then make a fast buck for some fat greasy ***** who runs the claim company.

I would go and see a doctor to get it checked out (if you haven't already been to hospital that is).

Thanks for the support & kind words everyone.

Did she get her make-up finished before she hit you, you would not believe that number of women I've seen doing just that whilst driving on a morning up to London.

Main thing is you are OK mate the car can be fixed or at worst replaced. And like Am says claim for the whiplash.

LOL - she must have been doing something cos she wasn't looking where she was going. Was one helluva smack because it pushed me a fair way up the road into another vehicle.

Strange enough my neck seems ok. My right shoulder and the top of my arm is all purpley and horrible, but the doc says there's nothing broken and my reflexes are ok. Said it will hurt like bu??ery for a few days (which it does) and then should clear up. (Take these and come back and see me if it doesn't improve).

My insurers reckon it'll be 3-5 days before they can get an engineer out to the car. Spoke to the repairer this morning, he was upbeat - 'sure we can fix it' which actually worries me. Every panel except the roof and doors was bent!! :crybaby:

Now I'm in the situation of either they write it off and I have a fight to get a fair price for the car off her insurers, or they patch it up and while it may look ok, the geometry could be foobar'd and it doesn't drive like it used to, or Lexus give me less than I would have got when I eventually come to p/x it cos they know it was pranged quite badly. Also can't get a courtesy car until her insurers own up and agree to pay for that.

Seems no matter how well covered you are, there's a lot of pain and grief when you get hit, even if you're completely innocent :o

Incidentally - had to take my docs down the police station as a formality. The PC I was chatting to asked how I was and remarked that Lexus cars seem to stand up a lot better than many other cars in accidents.!

Thanks for the support & kind words everyone.

LOL - she must have been doing something cos she wasn't looking where she was going. Was one helluva smack because it pushed me a fair way up the road into another vehicle.

Strange enough my neck seems ok. My right shoulder and the top of my arm is all purpley and horrible, but the doc says there's nothing broken and my reflexes are ok. Said it will hurt like bu??ery for a few days (which it does) and then should clear up. (Take these and come back and see me if it doesn't improve).

My insurers reckon it'll be 3-5 days before they can get an engineer out to the car. Spoke to the repairer this morning, he was upbeat - 'sure we can fix it' which actually worries me. Every panel except the roof and doors was bent!! :crybaby:

Now I'm in the situation of either they write it off and I have a fight to get a fair price for the car off her insurers, or they patch it up and while it may look ok, the geometry could be foobar'd and it doesn't drive like it used to, or Lexus give me less than I would have got when I eventually come to p/x it cos they know it was pranged quite badly. Also can't get a courtesy car until her insurers own up and agree to pay for that.

Seems no matter how well covered you are, there's a lot of pain and grief when you get hit, even if you're completely innocent :o

Incidentally - had to take my docs down the police station as a formality. The PC I was chatting to asked how I was and remarked that Lexus cars seem to stand up a lot better than many other cars in accidents.!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Had a similar problem years back in a Peugeot 405 estate. Insurers decided to repair the car (it was only 5 months old). They ordered a new body shell, and transplanted all the working bits from my old car.

Work took 10 weeks to complete, during which time I was hiring old bangers from my local garage to keep costs down, as it wasn't certain I would get all the hire car costs refunded by other parties insurance. They did however cough up finally, but the whole episode was just so much hassle, and none of it was my fault!

What irked me, was that the car that ran into the back of me was repaired and driving about locally, just 2 weeks after the accident. Pig sick! :angry:

Hope your experience is better. Good luck.

IanB

• 2 weeks later...

WAAAAHHHHHH.... they are repairing it.... and every single panel except the roof and doors was busted, boot floor almost touching the top, bent sills.....!! Bang goes my GAP insurance putting me in a new IS250 :tsktsk:

Went along to the repairers to have a look - now since when do you repair a BENT SILL by putting FILLER in it???!!

I will reserve judgement for when they've finished, but I don't see how they can return the car to the state it was in (i.e. mint!) before that idiot ran into me, and while they may do a reasonable job cosmetically, it just ain't gonna drive right!

I feel a fight coming.... watch this space :angry:

A day in the life of a LEXUS driver......

The other day I was cruising along as usual in my LEXUS coming to one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic didn't slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motor way! The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the LEXUS lane (why do underlings use this lane? surely everyone knows it is for LEXUS drivers only?).

Anyway, once I was in the LEXUS lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was

not only in the LEXUS lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the LEXUS lane of my motorway and to get out of my way. Of course, once he realised it was a LEXUS behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me!

He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast!

Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on (they're not free points either -

they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3)!

But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a LEXUS, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me! See, now THAT's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a LEXUS! :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links