Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do Hot Drinks Cool You Down

now not being a tea or coffee drinker myself my partner said lastnight she was gonna have a cup of tea to help cool her down,

does this really work?

nope ... she's mad :hehe:

Thermodynamics would suggest otherwise.

That said, a cup of tea is quite refreshing however hot it is. Something about the bitterness of the taste, and the caffeine provides a boost too.

Iv heard this 2 but also dont drink Tea or Coffee but had a nice hot choc @ WIM but still needed a nice cold 1 so not sure :unsure:

Geoffers will tell u lol :blush:

its true

effectively what you are doing is raising your body temperature, so that in theory you are feeling less difference between the external and internal temperatures, thus having a cooling effect

doesnt work in cold weather with cold drinks as we are warm blooded

its true

effectively what you are doing is raising your body temperature, so that in theory you are feeling less difference between the external and internal temperatures, thus having a cooling effect

cheers bazza shes sitting next to me with her tongue out at me saying told you so :blush:

its true

He's right you know!!

:offtopic: thanks for before, worked a treat.

If you google it, you will come up with an equal amount of yes and no judgements on each side. Having sadly sat here for a good while going through what has been said on shed loads of links on google, I came to the conclusion it was not true. To drink enough hot fluids to be able to effect your body temperature seems on face value not that possible, especially not a mug full. i.e. half fill your bath with body temp'ish water. Now tip a mug of boiling water into the bath. Has it heated up? Nope. So the notion that your temp will rise enough is not that plausible in the end. Seems to come down to the placibo effect.

If you google it, you will come up with an equal amount of yes and no judgements on each side. Having sadly sat here for a good while going through what has been said on shed loads of links on google, I came to the conclusion it was not true. To drink enough hot fluids to be able to effect your body temperature seems on face value not that possible, especially not a mug full. i.e. half fill your bath with body temp'ish water. Now tip a mug of boiling water into the bath. Has it heated up? Nope. So the notion that your temp will rise enough is not that plausible in the end. Seems to come down to the placibo effect.

cheers tigerfish ive got my told you so face back on :D

my girlfriends brother is a doctor and i said this infornt of him the other day and he laughed at me!!

he said in theory it works but in practice it doesnt work.. but the placebo effect for those that believe that will help!!

Nope. Adding hot tea cannot cool you down unless there was a contained endothermic reaction. Or you were hotter than the tea....

Bazza is absolutely right - it is a comparative/perceived cooling effect.

it is a comparative/perceived cooling effect.

A cup of tea does not contain enough heat to raise your body temperature, so comparatively, you would be the same. Therefore no hotter or colder than before drinking the tea.

A cup of tea does not contain enough heat to raise your body temperature, so comparatively, you would be the same. Therefore no hotter or colder than before drinking the tea.

It does. There a surprising amount of energy in a hot cup of tea.

It also one of the reasons you should warm up with a hot drink or two rather than a hot shower or alcohol when cold. With the body cold, you would expect even less warming due to the heat dissipation and conduction yet it still warms and has been proven millions of times. When your body is already hot and is trying to maintain its core temperature at a cool level, this effect is really quite large and even measurable using temporal artery thermometry.

Even if your temperature is normal, after many medical treatments that trigger physiological and behavioural responses causing a slight loss in body heat, a cup of tea warms the body to restore the heat balance well into the small intestine. Many think this is always to alter blood sugar. I'm obviously excluding sugar and milk here which will induce differences in temperature balance produced by metabolism which is a completely different subject.

I should have worded it differently really - the perceived/cooling effect is because you DO warm up. Then your body tries to reach temperature stability within it normal range by sweating ever so slightly more, widening blood vessels near the surface of the skin, the usual stuff. Plus, of course you have removed the heat source that you thought would cool you down originally so effectively, you are cooler.

It does. There a surprising amount of energy in a hot cup of tea.

It also one of the reasons you should warm up with a hot drink or two rather than a hot shower or alcohol when cold. With the body cold, you would expect even less warming due to the heat dissipation and conduction yet it still warms and has been proven millions of times. When your body is already hot and is trying to maintain its core temperature at a cool level, this effect is really quite large and even measurable using temporal artery thermometry.

Even if your temperature is normal, after many medical treatments that trigger physiological and behavioural responses causing a slight loss in body heat, a cup of tea warms the body to restore the heat balance well into the small intestine. Many think this is always to alter blood sugar. I'm obviously excluding sugar and milk here which will induce differences in temperature balance produced by metabolism which is a completely different subject.

I should have worded it differently really - the perceived/cooling effect is because you DO warm up. Then your body tries to reach temperature stability within it normal range by sweating ever so slightly more, widening blood vessels near the surface of the skin, the usual stuff. Plus, of course you have removed the heat source that you thought would cool you down originally so effectively, you are cooler.

or you could just have a Tall Cold Beer :D

Someone said this to me before and I nearly fell of the chair laughing. simple physics tells you that the tea is at a hotter temp than your body so will not cool you down.

If I was out for a run and came back I certainly would not put the kettle on. I would go straight to the fridge for a cold drink.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links