Luggage Capacity 400 L

Fuel Capacity 70 L

Turning Circle 5 m

Unbraked Towing Weight 450 kg

Braked Towing Weight 1200 kg

I thought interesting until i saw the next page

Lexus IS Saloon (99-06)

2.0 4dRates effective from 13 March 2008

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

26 Oct 2001 – 1 Apr 2005 £115.50 £210.00 F 231

Rates effective from April 2009

26 Oct 2001 – 1 Apr 2005 £165.00 £300.00 K 231

Rates effective from April 2010

26 Oct 2001 – 1 Apr 2005 £236.50 £430.00 L 231

Well done Mr Brown and Captain Darling :tsktsk: , looks like my IS ownership may have to come to an end once again as there is no way i can afford those tax prices. seems everytime i get my car looking how i want it look the the government put the boot in and i have to sell it :tsktsk:

These tax rules are bloody stupid!

I mean my Aristo which has a 3.0L Twin Turbo engine that I bet pollutes much more then a standard IS200 is £185 for the year. I'm not complaining, but if I had an IS200 I would be! :o

dont give up dude, by selling you give in to those :tsktsk: in the government.

dont let them win!!!!!!!!

i wont be able to afford it though

Much as I am disgusted by this totally ridiculous increase I will certainly not be selling my car. The extra tax they are stealing from us equates to about 2 pints a week so I suppose it is something I will have to stomach, distastful though it may be.

THEY, wont be in long enough to implement the Tax hike

Probably right.............BUT have the Tories said they will not introduce it ??????

It won't be a question of not introducing it, more a question of will they repeal it!

i must admit i feel quite lucky having a 2000 plated IS200 so it only goes up £15 in 2010 :D You cant have anything nice nowadays without being hit by tax or something else! Hope it doesnt come in and you can keep your lex Chris as it would be a shame now that you have it looking so nice :)

Old news im afraid.

Unfortunately a lot of people will be out of pocket on the one but it will take a year or so for people to realize it.

Once people start getting their tax renewal forms is when **** will really hit the fan

Please let this go through!

Either way - i can't see them getting away with this - it hits too many people with a tax they didn't know about when they bought the vehicle.

High taxes on new cars? Fine - we can weigh that up when we make our buying decision, but massive tax hike ambush? I'll be taking to the streets poll-tax style.

As much as I loathe and despise supposed New Labour, I can't help thinking this is all just scare mongering. There's going to be too much protest from too many people. It's a blatant tax ambush and I can't see people going quietly.

For what it's worth, the tories aren't much better either.

I vote JEREMY CLARKSON FOR PM!!!!!

Won't come to much when the environmental audit comittee say the plans won't make much difference and are not ambitious enough.

The whole thing is a pile of crap. Lets face it the emission levels of your car are bugger all to do with how much you pollute. I could have an ecofriendly £0 rated car kicking out 100g/Km and drive 30,000 miles a year while my neighbour with an IS200 with emissions of 231g/Km, pays £430 road tax and drives 10,000 miles a year. The facts are that my eco car has put more **** in the atmosphere that my neighbours "gas guzzler".

When will they stop poncing about and stop the politcal posturing, CO2 emissions are directly related the MPG, lower MPG = higher emissions. Lower MPG = higher fuel consumption = higher cost. So in short you pay for your pollution through fuel costs, the more you burn the more you pay, thats the way it is and should be.

At the risk of this being a wildly unpopular suggestion, I'd be quite happy to pay a bit extra on fuel and have them abolish road tax completely. Let's face it, it'd mean they could get rid of all those stupid DVLA vans, cut down on paperwork and so on.

As a bit of a techno geek, I've even thought of another way to cut down on motorists with no insurance. When you take out insurance, the company should provide you with a little bar code you can stick on your keyring. All petrol stations should have bar code readers installed and you must scan your barcode before it lets you have fuel. Therefore if you haven't got valid insuarance, you couldn't get fuel. That'd work!

You're considering selling your IS and buying what instead may I ask?

What is the value of your time?

For example, the time and effort involved with selling your IS (advertising, valeting, tidying up, depreciation) and then buying a replacement vehicle (going to see vehicles, test drives, altering insurance policy, new car is an unknown quantity etc).

Think about it. Panic for the sake of a couple of hundred quid a year, and possibly incur much greater costs via the sale of your current car and purchase of a replacement vehicle.

Just looking at it logically. :shifty:

ive looked at it logically,

1. im the only one earning in the house

2. my mum doesnt work due to illness and isnt old enough to draw a pension yet

therefore 90% of my earnings go on household and car bills, paying another £200 extra on road tax would would be really difficult for me to pay other more important bills like gas and electricity which keeps rising too.

I've looked at other options and i could buy other marques of car with more performance and newer for less running costs that what the IS has

for example im looking at

option 1

VW Golf 1.4 GT Sport 170

1.4 Supercharged/Turbocharged producing 170bhp, mpg of around 39mpg

Rates effective from 13 March 2008

1 May 2007 – 28 Jan 2008 £93.50 £170.00 E 174

1 May 2007 – 28 Jan 2008 £112.75 £205.00 I 174

1 May 2007 – 28 Jan 2008 £115.50 £210.00 I 174

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2

Mk5 Golf Gti 2.0 Turbo

200 bhp with an mpg of around 35/36 mpg

Rates effective from 13 March 2008

1 Jan 2005 – 28 Jan 2008 £115.50 £210.00 F 189-194

1 Jan 2005 – 28 Jan 2008 £143.00 £260.00 J 189-194

1 Jan 2005 – 28 Jan 2008 £148.50 £270.00 J 189-194

plus with working for VW now my parts are cheaper. It even costs less to tax a Focus ST

You're going through exactly the same thing that I went through not that long ago. The first mistake I made was buying an uneconomical car. To sell it when the going gets a little tougher would be a second mistake. You have the car now, it's not hurting you, it's all paid for (I assume) and you enjoy your ownership of it - exactly the same as me.

From the list of cars you've given, what are you ACTUALLY going to save? Like Maneesh says, factor in the costs of selling it - that can easily mount up to a couple of hundred pounds and you're down on the deal before you start. Then sit back and look at the difference in road tax. Comparing the figures, the biggest difference there is to your current Lexus is the £220 bewteen the £430 (2010 Lexus) and the £210 (2010 Golf 1.4) rates. Divide that cost to a day-to-day cost and it's an extra 60pence per day. That's the price of a can of Fanta.

All it would take with the VW is one repair bill to wipe out the difference.

The way I think about things like this - if you're going to make a saving - then make it substantial. I'm not sure how much of a saving you'll realistically make with either of those two replacement cars. If the value of those two is more than you get for your Lexus, you're going to be hundreds down before you start too. Factor in how much you like your Lexus and whether £220 a year isn't worth worrying about because you like it so much and you'll get your answer.

Alternatively, work an extra day's overtime at some stage to make up the difference.

Remember - all these rates are just speculation at the moment. Until it's officially announced and going on the renewal forms, it's all pie in the sky.

Having said that, if you really want to swap, nothing anyone says will (or should) change your mind in which case good luck. :)

• 3 weeks later...

chris here is a way to pay it

get a TESCO credit card Pay for the road tax spread the payments out

and earn money at the same time towards your shopping bill or other items

That is what i do Every month i Buy fuel and stick it on the Tesco CC and earn points

at the same time, but i do pay it off in full the following month

but the good thing with the card is that Tesco vouchers can also be used towards

things like Car breakdown cover, and probably insurance discounts.

But As all the others said i think they (Brown n co) will not get away with it

and i can see this being like the poll tax was, there are too many personal owned cars

that are 51 plate to 54 plate, the people the government call Middle working class

or too you and me the Real workers and payer to the country, and most 55 plate onward

are all emmision friendly and i guess most are company owned. as they are not yet 3 year old.

so the long n short of it Dont sell it and dont let them tell you what you can and cannot drive

We need to start adopting some of the French tactics over here there government come up with

daft ideas, so the french go out on strike and block everything, so the government take a U Turn

REMEMBER THIS

THE PEOPLE IN POWER GOT THERE BECAUSE WE PUT THEM THERE, TO DO A JOB FOR US

AND WE CAN ALSO GET THEM REMOVED AND PUT ANY PARTY IN POWER, WITH SINGLE X IN A BOX.

AND AT TIMES WE NEED TO REMIND THEM OF THIS LIKE MASS PROTEST.

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links