Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cat d means uneconomical to repair cat c is pretty much the same, It all depends on the assessor who looks at the car if it goes d or c. when was the car declared cat c. If it was in the last couple of years it needn't be to much damage if it was a couple of years old it would be extensive & best steer clear. I gather the 99,000 miler was no good then as you were on your way to buy it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought the 99000 miler and what a nice car it is, just couple of marks on rear bumper but i can get the whole bumper sprayed etc for £100.

I just wanted to get my head around cat c..as i am still interested in it. It was declared cat c in 2009 and passed VIC check in 2010. So because it was 2009 would it have been heavy damage?

I bought the 99000 miler and what a nice car it is, just couple of marks on rear bumper but i can get the whole bumper sprayed etc for £100.

I just wanted to get my head around cat c..as i am still interested in it. It was declared cat c in 2009 and passed VIC check in 2010. So because it was 2009 would it have been heavy damage?

We always like to see some pictures of your new car. Mike

So do you think i should stay clear of it then? Sorry for all the question, but i dont want to buy a lemon and i am so grateful for your help.

If you don't really know what your looking for or at then its probably wise to steer clear, Or take a good mechanic with you to check it out. You have also just bought one so 2 would be just greedy anyway.

Before i bought My LS400 mk4 it was a cat C due to vandalised damage vertically every panel had been keyed... Car was fully re sprayed and alloys refurbished.. 2 months before I viewed and bought it... In fact it looked and ran like brand new.. Had no qualms about it being a cat C and have now had it for 6 yrs.... You MUST tell any potential purchaser that car is a CAT c or d or whatever ...

The present owner may have a copy of the Engineer's Report from when the car was written off. This will detail all the defects with the car, if it is just panel damage and it has been repaired properly fine but if there are mentions of chassis or suspension damage then I would rethink.

The pictures below are my own LS400 written off as a Cat C all cosmetic with the bonnet edge, wing edge bent,the headlight and sidelight smashed and the bumper and indicator unit cracked.

Bottom picture is after repair with the panels being straightened out,the bumper repaired and the headlight and sidelight having been replaced.

It doesn't take much for an insurance company to write a car off these days.

post-12144-0-50142100-1362329988_thumb.j

post-12144-0-34725900-1362330031_thumb.j

He said he wants to swap it with my ls400? I dont get why,? Mines not even on lpg.

Put that to him, then see if his reasons are credible, and go from there.

Leaving the car aside, do you trust the seller?

If not, I wouldn't go any further - if you do, but aren't sure about the car, get it professionally inspected, either by a garage you trust, or AA or similar.

Well he called me yesterday to say he had sold it. So I asked him then, his reply was he was desparate to get rid of it for 1 he needed the space for his ls430 and 2 he was finding it hard to sell due to it being a cat c.

He had that in his eBay advert as well Mark.

Something doesnt seem quite right there eh?

But what he told Messi sounds like it could be right.

Anyway, if the car is straight someone got a decent deal.

He did say there was nothing wrong with the car other than it was a cat c. So if anyone else god forbid had an accident in it, they wouldnt get paid out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links