Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

As I hadn't used the car for at least a fortnight I started it up yesterday evening. The Battery had gone pretty flat because it struggled to turn the starter over, but it suddenly fired up - then all the needles on the display (including the rev counter) shot right over to the right and back to the left again. Everything seemed okay except that the VSC warning light stayed on - I've never seen this before. After a 20-minute drive I switched off, waited a few seconds and switched on again. It started up fine and must have reset everything because the VSC warning no longer displayed. Moral: use the car more often!

........ you will have inner peace if you use your car everyday, it's a wonderfully therapeutic environment to spend at least a part of every day of your life :hehe:

Malc

• Like 3

First time this happened to me in previous LS, made me panic, but having had 3 Battery replacements, kind of get used to it.

If the Battery is fine fettle then should be able to leave standing for more than 2 weeks, even a MK4. Left my Mk4 for 3 weeks at Gatwick, fired up first time on return. Left my Mk2 once for 3 months, and it fired up first time.

But a Battery can go from good to pretty rubbish very quickly.

• Like 1

I remember when I had an ls400 I left it for 3 weeks, came back from holiday and got inside the car and it started first with no problems at all, so when I see posts like this it just makes me think there may be something wrong with your car's. I once left it for 2 weeks as I went to Egypt and it still started up first time

It's an expensive Bosch Battery and is only about 18 months old. Perhaps it needs a few long runs.

The red alarm light on the dashboard flashes gently even when the car's sitting unlocked in the garage; does key locking disable this?

Yes this is an indication that you might have some charge but it's not enough to crank (usually) the engine.

My Jag does the same - all needles flick to their extreme and back again. Bit like a death throw!

My LS dash lights just look dimmed and nothing happens!

They should be able to cope with light mileage etc. If you need to recharge and if it's 3 or more years old it's probs done for.

I didn't think the alarm on an LS 400 could be disabled, there's been various posts in the past asking that.

you have grey leather aswell like mine - thats rare

very easy to keep clean unlike cream - black in my opinion doesn't to the car justice

I didn't think the alarm on an LS 400 could be disabled, there's been various posts in the past asking that.

you have grey leather aswell like mine - thats rare

very easy to keep clean unlike cream - black in my opinion doesn't to the car justice

Current and previous LS have grey leather, and totally agree about the black. Not sure about the cream, I think it looks okay, but not so sure I would want to have one given my 400 is everyday workhorse.

A tad off topic but, my MK4 LS400 had black leather and it really did suit, and looked great. In my opinion black clashes with the large amount of walnut on the 430. I really like the grey, gives a nice light airy feel.

• Like 1

I'm on my 4th Battery in 9 years of ownership all down I think to lack of use. It spends more time parked up in the garage than on the road with an annual mileage of 2-3000.

The previous one was on it's way out and 2 weeks in the airport car park completely finished it ( wouldn't even smart charge).

So the old Lexus officially broke down for 20 minutes waiting for the AA,even though I'm a member I called the airport car park people on the barrier intercom and the AA guy said don't bother with your membership details it's more paperwork,I'll charge it to the airport.( So that's why parking is so expensive).

Fortunately it's start and go with mine apart from reseting the radio everything else stays the same unlike older models where windows etc need resetting.

Found this link about lead acid life.

Does seem that if your LS is allowed to drain the Battery, then it will not last long.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/can_the_lead_acid_battery_compete_in_modern_times

So does explain why trickle charging is good, and leaving a the alarm to drain the system is a route to having a short Battery life.

I have managed to get mine started using a Battery that is much smaller, so maybe the larger Battery is designed in to keep all this electronics ticking over for a month or more.

.... why not just go for a simple OEM Toyota / Lexus Battery ..... when I replaced mine with OEM ( coffee and biscuits included ) it really wasn't any more expensive then any other make !

Malc

.... why not just go for a simple OEM Toyota / Lexus battery ..... when I replaced mine with OEM ( coffee and biscuits included ) it really wasn't any more expensive then any other make !

Malc

because if you are only doing a couple of thousand miles per year the Battery will be cycled too much for a standard lead acid Battery to cope with.

The Battery discussion as been charged and re-charged so many times it is inevitable members will come up with their own solutions.The best tried and tested method and more so with the 98-2000 LS is a constant Battery charger/ monitor.I use a golf caddy charger/ monitor that I pulled out of the recycling skip and they are ideal because they are specifically designed to be left on all the time,it has a minimum 2.5 amp output this is important so as not to overtax the charger.A lot of the digital chargers sold on the internet and in stores have a .75 amp output and it just not enough, the chargers burn out in a short space of time.

Colin is right in that small usage of the car leaves the Battery open to discharge in about ten days and that kind of cycling will kill the Battery in about two years, Battery monitors subject the Battery to the kind of charge / discharge it needs under daily use with the drain taken by the alarm and electronics of the car's electrical consumption.

I know that some members are not able too hook up to mains chargers and solar chargers can be the answer if that is the case,again go for the highest amperage output if you take this path.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links