Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got in 'The Shed' half an hour ago and - nothing. Someone who will remain nameless didn't shut the drivers door properly two days ago,and now the Battery is as flat as a witches t*t.

Question 1. Would the interior lights completely drain a good Battery in two days,or should I be on the lookout for a replacement Battery? It's a Bosch silver something and less than two years old.

Question 2. Why on earth didn't the interior lights switch themselves off after a while,even with the door ajar?. Other cars I've had did.

Ta.

John

I did exactly the same thing a month ago left the rear door ajar and flat Battery following morning there are three lights on and two with front door. so yes is the answer to your question.

I think your fade the light scenario is if the door as been shut ,why would it turn itself off if the cycle of events as not been completed.

• Like 1

LS 400's only flaw? It's been a regular topic on here. I never 'plipped' mine closed overnight which seemed to help. It's pity the lighter sockets aren't 'live' when parked as a plug-in trickle/solar charger would fix this.

Fitting one to Battery is possible but more fiddly.

Older Audi A8s had a built-in trickle charger in the sunroof! Strangely the later ones didn't to the annoyance of a neighbour owner!

• Like 1

.............. and if you need a new Battery then OEM Lexus/Toyota is the way to go with the Mk3

Inexpensive, fits exactly and will probably last 5 years ... together with coffee and biscuits if you're lucky !

Malc

• Like 1

I'm using an ancient West German (Absaar) charger on 'normal' setting as opposed to 'fast'. Should be cooked in 24 hours. I'll just have to sit in 'The Shed' and make broom broom noises til then. Wait - it's an LS,they don't go broom broom. I'll have to make very quiet purring noises!.

(I believe I purchased the Absaar from Halfrauds in 1984,when I needed to keep a few batteries charged up in my banger racing days.)

I've got an AA charger that I no longer trust. Shows green light and then when removed for five mins shows half charge. Motorcycle not Car Battery. Whats to be believed - half charge me thinks and confirmed with multi meter that suggests past its sell by date. Used for tyre pump.

Ps Malc - did I read INEXPENSIVE ?

• Like 1

Any car's interior light will stay on if the door is left ajar. They are designed that way. It can be switched off completely though, if you choose to. My LS Battery once drained because of leaving the driver's door open but soon recovered after a long overnight trickle charge.

• Like 1

Just phoned Lexus Tunbridge Wells,they want £88 with a 3 year warranty. Forgot to ask if that's plus vat. Could have been a lot worse.

I paid not a lot less than this ( and that included vat ) about 2.5 years ago now and the guy said it would probably last 5 years or so ........ and coffee and biscuits too

And it of course fits the odd shape Mk3 tray ...........

Malc

• Like 1

That's another for the 430 soft close doors

....until the motor fails.......

Or they corrode from the inside, or the double glazing goes cloudy............hmmm, maybe I'll just make sure mine are properly shut.

Rain sensitive wipers, self closing doors, automatic lights.............answers to questions that nobody asked imo, not to mention unreliable and costly to fix.

That's another for the 430 soft close doors

....until the motor fails.......

Or they corrode from the inside, or the double glazing goes cloudy............hmmm, maybe I'll just make sure mine are properly shut.

Rain sensitive wipers, self closing doors, automatic lights.............answers to questions that nobody asked imo, not to mention unreliable and costly to fix.

touchwood have not had any of those problems in 3 years of ownership - bar amplifier failure which was £285 to fix - everything else works perfectly inlcuding steering adjust

Your making the 430 sound like a bag of rubbish!!!

I've had many 400's. But I found the 430 much more superior but that's my opinion,

Hardly a bag of rubbish, but I started out with the intention of buying a 430 a few years back, and after a fair bit of research decided a 400 might be less troublesome.

This is partly because of the extra toys on the 430, in particular the air suspension.

So, for me, it comes down to what matters more to you, and I value reliability over toys, some of which I find utterly pointless.

My swipe at the wipers, lights etc wasn't aimed at the 430 in particular.

The fact that people comment on the 430 in a good or bad way is always a matter of opinion and most of the comments on here are based on experience.

I have owned a 430 and will never buy one again. NOT because of a bad experience, not because of something major went wrong. Just because I don't like the exterior. I thought that the added gadgets and interior wood would convince me....it didn't!

With my '90 400 and '99 celsior I always look back when I enter my house. Never had that with the 430

And to call members tedium......not a good choice...

..... I guess I had best stop contributing then fellas ......... bye

I really don't have to put up with Stuart / Loathecliff's pathetic remarks

Malc

As I don't own a Lexus anymore this will be my last post!

This kind of bickering has plagued the Lexus forum ever since I've been a member, and I don't want to be part of it. I certainly won't be alone in saying that much "smugness" on the part of LS400 owners has always got the back up of LS430 owners, the majority of whom have not even owned one.

How about getting back to what's important, being a car owners forum that offers help and advice, and remembering that all Lexus models are great cars?

• Like 1

Calm down chaps! We are all Lexus fans here! The debate over the merits of the 400 against the 430 are still not crystal clear. The radiator/gearbox issue has a fairly inexpensive preventative measure. The air suspension is another matter. It is not clear to me how many suspension "failures" there have been on the 430. Debate/argument/opinions is what the world is about but let's not fall out about it. I really value all the opinions on the forum because they are mostly from actual experience of owners. I am not mechanically savvy and rely on others for expert advice.

My initial aim was to buy a 430, though to be honest I do not particularly like the styling, but after weighing up the arguments presented on the forum I opted for the best LS400 I could afford. Time will tell if I have made the right choice!

Please keep the debate alive but let's not get too carried away and upset people.

All your opinions are valued by me and I am grateful for any advice. I agree with Mike's common post - we are a friendly bunch so please let's try and keep it that way.

..... I guess I had best stop contributing then fellas ......... bye

I really don't have to put up with Stuart / Loathecliff's pathetic remarks

Malc

As I don't own a Lexus anymore this will be my last post!

This kind of bickering has plagued the Lexus forum ever since I've been a member, and I don't want to be part of it. I certainly won't be alone in saying that much "smugness" on the part of LS400 owners has always got the back up of LS430 owners, the majority of whom have not even owned one.

How about getting back to what's important, being a car owners forum that offers help and advice, and remembering that all Lexus models are great cars?

I would have said that the remarks have flowed both ways, in fact this thread WAS about a problem with a 400, until a 430 owner posted about self closing doors!

But frankly, who cares, it's just a bit of banter about a couple of banger money cars, no need to make it personal.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links