Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interesting Discoveries (good & Bad)

1 hour ago, gtb5 said:

With car stopped have you pressed the button to get the green LED blinking a few times to get to manual mode?  Make sure car is stopped. After setting manual mode you flick the stalk downward once for intermittent manual mode and use the dial to adjust frequency.  It's all in the user manual. 

No, I haven't, as out of ignorance, if I want manual mode I press the button once to switch auto off.

In my first reply, I suppose what I meant was I've never seen the need to go through this process, as with the wipers set to auto, if an extra wipe or two is needed, I just flick the stalk upwards for one wipe, repeating if necessary.

But obviously I have missed something, so I'll try it and see what is different.

Don't know if it is my imagination but the rear wheels on my is300h Exec seem to be at a slight slant - top in bottom out.  If this is correct, does it mean that the tyres will wear faster on the inside edge ?  

It was a problem on my (last) BMW 320Touring.  Apparently a known "fault". 

1 hour ago, BigChange said:

Don't know if it is my imagination but the rear wheels on my is300h Exec seem to be at a slight slant - top in bottom out.  If this is correct, does it mean that the tyres will wear faster on the inside edge ?  

I have just replaced all four tyres on my f-sport and the wear was slightly worse on the rear inside edge after 27k miles. Probably  ok for another 3k but I always replace tyres before the wear is down to the indicators. The original Bridgstones are a hard trye so I doubt the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 which are softer will do as many miles but they are noticeably more comfortable.

Ed:yes:

7 hours ago, BigChange said:

Yes there is some negative camber which is non adjustable so expect wear on the inner edges. 

It's not a fault. It's for increased grip on the road especially going round corners where you get better stability 

On 23/03/2016 at 1:50 PM, LeeG said:

Richard, if your car does have this function it is activated when you press the 'Auto' button opposite your mirror fold button.

This has to be lit. It's a little annoying as every time you manually fold the mirror, you have to remember to set it back to 'Auto'.

Hope this helps.

Lee.

Lee, instead of pressing the same button to open them again, press the auto button - they will open and be back in auto.

A bad one: the lug nuts.

They rust.  I have now used all the 40 extra lug nuts we got with the wife's Prius and my 300h replacing rusted ones.  In just one winter, they get really ugly from rust.

I've heard rumors of stainless ones...

-Tore

1 minute ago, ToreOe said:

A bad one: the lug nuts.

They rust.  I have now used all the 40 extra lug nuts we got with the wife's Prius and my 300h replacing rusted ones.  In just one winter, they get really ugly from rust.

I've heard rumors of stainless ones...

-Tore

Just noticed a couple days ago that I also have a rusting wheel nut. Similar to the problem a couple of years ago on our Auris..

My RX ones (same as the IS ones btw) have no rust on them. You should check out the Mercedes lug nuts lol, they rust completely!

They did have some brown bits on it but it appears it was a bit of fallout that needed removing, most likely from the brakes. Hit it with some fallout remover and it was gone.

I'm happy to say my wheel-nuts are showing no signs of rust.  Also, I'm still using the same set of Toyota-branded anti-theft nuts fitted

to the first IS I bought twelve years=approx. 350K km=ago, and they are still look as good as new after being transferred to my present

fifth!   Tore, I think you have grounds for asking for free replacements unless the rust is superficial or simply attributable to "normal" heavy

road-salting in your part of the world.

4 hours ago, C Mclean said:

Just noticed a couple days ago that I also have a rusting wheel nut. Similar to the problem a couple of years ago on our Auris..

i've noticed i have a rusty wheel nut also ,so i'm not the only one with this issue.

2 hours ago, 200h said:

i've noticed i have a rusty wheel nut also ,so i'm not the only one with this issue.

Try using a finger nail to remove it, mine came off just like that and after applying fallout remover it's not come back. 

A real positive on my new IS300h F-Sport...the optional Adaptive Variable Suspension that I chose when I ordered it.

Try as I might, I simply could not find a demo car with AVS fitted, but I purchased it in the hope that it would make a noticeable difference to ride quality. I've had a bit of surgery on my back over the years and comfort is something I'm forced to take seriously these days. I often face the dilemma that Sports seats are by far the best in terms of support, but they're often only fitted to cars with firmer Sports suspension. With the IS I tried out several models and ultimately found that the benefits of the seats in the F-Sport outweighed the negatives of its firmer suspension. I must confess to being somewhat sceptical about the claims that some manufacturers make about AVS, but in the IS I have found it to make a significant difference. I'm less concerned about the additional Sports + option it brings (although that does tighten up the car's responses for sure), but the ride quality in ECO, Normal etc is very impressive with the AVS. Prior to the Lexus I had a Honda Accord Type-S which I found to deliver a more comfortable ride than the F-Sports I test drove before purchasing; probably a fraction softer than the Premiers I also tried. I traded the Honda in against the F-Sport and it was immediately apparent that the ride in my new Lexus was better than that in the Accord. I have to say, I am really impressed by this AVS option. It's not that expensive when you take into account the overall cost of the car. Of all the options I added (and I added quite a few, including the Premium Nav which is a mandatory option if you want AVS) I think this might be the best.

Ride comfort is a pretty subjective thing - I know a lot of people find the F-Sport absolutely fine. If, however, you're are concerned that the ride feels somewhat hard, then AVS might just be what you need. The handling is sublime and you don't have to suffer back-ache as a trade-off. I hope this feedback is useful to anyone considering this option.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 2

Interesting post Rich. I didn't have AVS on mine but It came with my NX F Sport. I've been labouring under the misunderstanding that it operates when Sport+ is selected. Judging by your experience, it obviously operates all the time. In that case what does Sport+ do over and above Sport? It's obviously made a big difference for you and at £750 seems to be good value, although you do have to shell out for the Prem Nav which certainly isn't cheap (neither is anyone else's mind you).

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

AVS stiffens up the dampers on Sport+. Its very noticeable as it makes the car noticeably stiffer, firmer and more fidgety on anything but a smooth piece of tarmac. Cornering is even flatter than normal and you feel every cats eye, stone or ridge.  In the other modes (Eco, Normal, Sport) there is no difference between them, but it is working all the time to adapt to road and driving conditions. So it is very smooth and a bit softer (like a normal IS suspension) when travelling on say a motorway, but will tighten up if you enjoy some more spirited driving on a A or B road for instance.

Thanks for that Steve. I think I'll choose a piece of road and give it a go in Normal and then Sport+ and see if I can feel a difference. My wife says I'm very insensitive so this will be a good test to see if she's right.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DJP said:

Thanks for that Steve. I think I'll choose a piece of road and give it a go in Normal and then Sport+ and see if I can feel a difference. My wife says I'm very insensitive so this will be a good test to see if she's right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to have a dealer with an IS300h F-sport with AVS. Honestly I could feel it become slightly stiffer in Sport+ mode but in Sport, Normal and Eco it felt the same as the IS F-Sport on standard Tokico shocks.

Try a road with some expansion joints across, the AVS didnt like those at all!

Hi,

As I understand it, from what Lexus told me, AVS does two things:

1. It brings the additional Sports+ mode, which stiffens the suspension and sharpens up throttle (and possibly steering) response. I use this one very occasionally, on winding back roads, or when pulling out onto a busy roundabout where gaps in traffic are brief.

2. It constantly adapts to the road condition (when not in Sports+ mode), smoothing out harsher surfaces.

You're unlikely to feel any difference in ride comfort between ECO and Normal modes on the same car when you have AVS installed (not sure about Sport mode) because it's affecting both of these modes, probably equally. Stepping out of one F-Sport with it installed into one without probably would be noticeable to me. Having surgeons chop bits out of your spine can make you a tad sensitive to road surface quality.

I couldn't do a back-to-back comparison between an IS300h F-Sport with AVS and one without it before purchasing because I simply couldn't find one that had it installed. What I could do was compare both to my Accord Type-S. A car that I'd owned for several years and knew well. The demo F-Sports I tried (without AVS) before purchasing felt harder and less forgiving of bad road surfaces. When I got back into my Accord to drive home from the Lexus dealer, the ride was noticeably smoother. However, when I picked up my new IS 300h F-Sport and dropped off the Accord as a trade-in, I was genuinely surprised that the Lexus was smoother over those same harsh roads. For info, I had to drive over a particularly bad stretch of road near the dealer I purchased the car from, so this was a pretty good test. As I mentioned earlier, the superb seats are what sold me on the F-Sport (it's looks helped too). It was something of a gamble to purchase AVS; for me at least, it seems to have paid off.

Cheers,

Rich

Though I'm happy with my F-sport  as it is, but reading peoples experience with AVS, maybe i should have added the AVS option - i only got the leather and the Prem Satnav.  I read that  in some markets  AVS  is standard in F-sport trim, e.g. Lexus Australia.  With Lexus Uk now doing a Sports grade, i think  F-sport  should have included AVS as standard.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Q. Is AVS basically air suspension?

Not exactly. It uses the same shocks AFAIK but just changes the stiffness. Lexus says "Selecting the AVS system’s ‘Sport’ + mode automatically increases the difference between inner and outer shock absorber damping through corners to further reduce vehicle roll. Simultaneously, VGRS automatically reduces the steering gear ratio by approximately 10% whilst the Electric Power Steering (EPS) increases steering assist torque by some 4%. These measures combine to minimise body roll, sharpen vehicle handling and optimise steering feel for the ultimate in sports sedan driving."

1 hour ago, mpls said:

Though I'm happy with my F-sport  as it is, but reading peoples experience with AVS, maybe i should have added the AVS option - i only got the leather and the Prem Satnav.  I read that  in some markets  AVS  is standard in F-sport trim, e.g. Lexus Australia.  With Lexus Uk now doing a Sports grade, i think  F-sport  should have included AVS as standard.

For me the only noticeable difference was Sport + mode which gets stiffer. However, between normal, eco and sport it just felt the same as the normal IS F-Sport. The AVS doesnt like expansion joints though, they make their way into the cabin with a huge thump. The Standard suspension handles these better

• Like 1

Hi mpls,

If you're happy with your F-Sport then I wouldn't fret. I'm pretty sensitive to how a car rides for reasons already mentioned, others clearly find the difference AVS brings to be fairly subtle. I think Steve44 summed it up pretty accurately when he said that AVS makes the F-Sport's suspension feel more like that of the standard IS. I'd say it's better than that on the 'standard' models that come with 18" wheels and comparable to those with smaller ones. The handling is better though.

I'm slightly surprised by Rayaan's comment about expansion joints causing 'a huge thump'. Maybe in Sport+ mode, but I've not experienced such an effect on expansion joints or speed bumps in other modes. Only the very worst pot holes I encounter on my daily commute give a jolt in the cabin.

1 hour ago, richman6100 said:

Hi mpls,

If you're happy with your F-Sport then I wouldn't fret. I'm pretty sensitive to how a car rides for reasons already mentioned, others clearly find the difference AVS brings to be fairly subtle. I think Steve44 summed it up pretty accurately when he said that AVS makes the F-Sport's suspension feel more like that of the standard IS. I'd say it's better than that on the 'standard' models that come with 18" wheels and comparable to those with smaller ones. The handling is better though.

I'm slightly surprised by Rayaan's comment about expansion joints causing 'a huge thump'. Maybe in Sport+ mode, but I've not experienced such an effect on expansion joints or speed bumps in other modes. Only the very worst pot holes I encounter on my daily commute give a jolt in the cabin.

Yes, to clarify I meant the expansion joints cause a huge thump in Sport + mode, not in the other modes.

Maybe its just me but I never found much of a difference in ride quality between the Premier and F-Sport models at all.

Little thing, but the mouse returns to a central position when you switch the ignition off. Pleased me anyway!

Oh and the music turning itself down if you turn the car off when you're blasting it. When you turn it back on it quickly turns itself down so you don't get a shock

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Question though:

On my 250, when you went on a motorway it automatically showed the motorway screen. Although I haven't been on the motorway since the journey back from picking it up, I seem to remember I had no RHS section with a list of the junctions. Is there an option to change the screen automatically when on motorway?

14 minutes ago, tHomBleached said:

Little thing, but the mouse returns to a central position when you switch the ignition off. Pleased me anyway!

Oh and the music turning itself down if you turn the car off when you're blasting it. When you turn it back on it quickly turns itself down so you don't get a shock

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Question though:

On my 250, when you went on a motorway it automatically showed the motorway screen. Although I haven't been on the motorway since the journey back from picking it up, I seem to remember I had no RHS section with a list of the junctions. Is there an option to change the screen automatically when on motorway?

Mine does have a motorway screen which turns on automatically. I think you have to go on Nav - Map configuration - Motorway. It only comes on when on the motorway of course.

>Maybe its just me but I never found much of a difference in ride quality between the Premier and F-Sport models at all.

I agree. I think the 18" wheels do contribute significantly to the firmer ride. The F-Sport standard suspension adds a little too in my personal experience, not hugely though. The 16" and 17" wheels seemed more forgiving. The AVS seems to give me the best of everything, the F-Sport handling and seats, with the smoother ride of the 16" / 17" wheels.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links