Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Odd Noise from the Engine Bay

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a noise that shouldn't be there.  I had the engine running yesterday to power the compressor while checking my tyre pressures and it was very noticeable.  Difficult to describe, not heavy mechanical (engine's running sweetly).  Did you ever use a clothes peg and cardboard to create a "clicker" on your bike as a kid ?  It's a softer version of that and frequency increases with revs.  As the offending part is rotating with the engine I can only think it may be a bearing from alternator or water pump maybe ?  Any ideas ?

I'm taking it to Lexus Cardiff on Tuesday, a 120 miles round trip !  Car is under Lexus Extended Warranty so I hope the offending part is covered.  They have informed me that there will be a £138 diagnosing fee, which will be waived if the problem comes under the terms of the warranty.  I'm sure that they will have heard my problem on more than one occasion before and diagnosis will take all of two minutes !!  £138 a bit steep for that methinks ?

Any thoughts ?

I've always noticed a clicker sound on my IS250 on tickover. Nothing mentioned on the last service at lexus Wolverhampton.  To be honest Steve I don't think it's anything to worry about.

It's a little stronger than perhaps I've made out Shaun.  My previous IS250 always sounded a bit "tappety", it had 78,000 on the clock.

This one has only 44,000 and it sounds more than tappety.  It sounds outside of the engine, not on the cams.  While I was doing the tyres yesterday I asked my postman what he thought.....he said it sounded like water pump problem.

I had a similar problem on my Yaris.  I thought it was tappets or pump definitely something mechanical; I was with the mechanic whilst he was diagnosing he reckoned it was a worn belt so he ordered a steering pump belt as this was really worn and a water pump belt but this was only a year old so I thought it couldn't be that.  He replaced the steering pump belt; noise still there.  Water pump belt was slightly loose so he tightened that up.  Noise still there so he replaced and tightened the belt and the noise went; sounds just like a sewing machine again:-)

I know it's a different car but worth a look as it's a much cheaper fix.

Haha !.....you flatter my abilities !

Just watched this about replacing a water pump.

I'd lose all the bits if I tried to dismantle all the stuff in order to get to the belt :confused1:.  Thanks for your input.

You don't need to dismantle anything to get to the belt (except the top and front covers and the air intake thing). You just turn the tensioner slightly with a spanner - there's a hole into which you can insert a 5mm drill bit or similar to lock it. The belt just slips off. (Make a note of its routing before you remove it - take a pic!)

You could run the engine for a few seconds without the belt - be careful because it will quickly overheat without the water pump running. If that cures it, it's the belt or one of the units driven - check each pulley for free running or roughness.

New belts are a bit stiff and unwieldy but they just slip on, then remove the drill bit and release the tensioner. If you put the old belt back, put it on the same way round that it was (mark with a snopake arrow?)

New belts available on eBay for about £16.

This could be the direct injection that all IS250 six cylinders have. Mine always made a relarively loud ticking noise at idle.

The high pressure fuel pump makes a loud ticking and the high pressure injectors make a clicking sound. 

as the engine is so smooth and quiet it is even more obvious. 

If this is the cause nothing to worry about as all IS250 s have it.

8 hours ago, johnatg said:

You don't need to dismantle anything to get to the belt (except the top and front covers and the air intake thing). You just turn the tensioner slightly with a spanner - there's a hole into which you can insert a 5mm drill bit or similar to lock it. The belt just slips off. (Make a note of its routing before you remove it - take a pic!)

Thanks John.  I could probably do that, but don't know if the belt is the cause of the noise ?  Don't have the time to faff with it if I'm honest, especially as it may be something completely different.

8 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

This could be the direct injection that all IS250 six cylinders have. Mine always made a relarively loud ticking noise at idle.

Thanks Bernard.  I'm familiar with that, it was very apparent on my previous IS250.  It's not that I'm hearing, something different and less mechanical sounding.  I'll find out on Tuesday I'm sure.

Been to Cardiff Lexus today.  Usual coffee and greeting from Natalie.  Explained the problem best I could and expressed my concern about the diagnosis charge (£138) as I suspected one of their technicians would have come across this before.  Anyway, lift in to town together with coffee voucher for Marriott Hotel.

Early afternoon I had an email on my phone with video of safety inspection, it highlighted usual stuff.....wiper smearing, brake disc lips, can of gunk in boot out of date etc.....and a siezed rear caliper on driver side.

I then received a call from Natalie advising about the caliper and confirming that the water pump was u/s.  She had received confirmation from warranty people that caliper and pump were both covered and would be replaced foc.  Also, the diagnosis fee would be waived too.

A courtesy car (CT200h) was provided as I was 60 miles from home.  I'm returning tomorrow at 5:00pm to return CT and collect my IS.

Excellent service !!! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Been to Cardiff Lexus today.  Usual coffee and greeting from Natalie.  Explained the problem best I could and expressed my concern about the diagnosis charge (£138) as I suspected one of their technicians would have come across this before.  Anyway, lift in to town together with coffee voucher for Marriott Hotel.

Early afternoon I had an email on my phone with video of safety inspection, it highlighted usual stuff.....wiper smearing, brake disc lips, can of gunk in boot out of date etc.....and a siezed rear caliper on driver side.

I then received a call from Natalie advising about the caliper and confirming that the water pump was u/s.  She had received confirmation from warranty people that caliper and pump were both covered and would be replaced foc.  Also, the diagnosis fee would be waived too.

A courtesy car (CT200h) was provided as I was 60 miles from home.  I'm returning tomorrow at 5:00pm to return CT and collect my IS.

Excellent service !!! 

Pleased for you on this good service been my experience with Lexus Bristol as well,on my car also water pump related, albeit different engine to you.

Many years of BMW various dealers never had the diagnostic fee returned despite faults always warranty related even tried to drink the £85.00 in free coffee and biscuits on a number of occasions 😂

Big Rat

Sounds like a great result.  It's easy to see why people get hooked on the whole Lexus experience when the service is as good as I and many others have experienced .  I sure am.

I'm with Big Rat though - I still try to eat them out of their biscuit supply whenever I'm there.  It'd be rude not to!

• Like 1

Happy to hear it went well Steve.  Good job you took out that extended warranty eh?  As you know I've been concidering taking out an extended warranty myself and after reading this I'll be taking one out.

How much would lexus charge to fit a new water pump by the way?

I'll get the paperwork when I collect my car tomorrow, I'll let you know the costs then Rebecca.

Yes, the extended warranty has been a good purchase for me.  Last year I had nearside headlamp assembly replaced (condensation) and the rear nearside caliper replaced too. From memory £650 and £280 respectively.  So this is another £280 for caliper and I dread to think what the water pump cost will be.  I'm enjoying AA top membership too (Lexus Roadside Assistance) and my warranty doesn't expire until November.  Cost me £895 :smile:

I'll grab some biscuits for you guys when I'm there again tomorrow. 

Sorry about my first post steveledzep. I really did think it would be the normal click associated with the 250 engine but I'm glad to hear your sorted bud 👍 

1 hour ago, peachy said:

Sorry about my first post steveledzep. I really did think it would be the normal click associated with the 250 engine but I'm glad to hear your sorted bud 👍 

Don't think I explained it properly Shaun.

Got my car back today, they didn't manage to complete the jobs yesterday.  No matter, I had a courtesy car.

Lexus would have charged £560 for replacing the water pump.....this is the quote on the Visual Safety Report.  The invoice to the warranty people would be somewhat less I'm sure.

All silent in the engine bay again now :smile:

• Like 1

Great news :smile:

Good to hear a positive post about the warranty consider the problems some people on here have been experiencing recently.

So did they get confirmation from the warranty company before even telling you the water pump was knackered?

Good service from the dealer either way.

Although I am surprised by the cost of the diagnostics.  Lexus Reading told me it would cost £86, which is for half an hour, because it rarely takes longer than that to diagnose a fault.

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

So did they get confirmation from the warranty company before even telling you the water pump was knackered?

Although I am surprised by the cost of the diagnostics.  Lexus Reading told me it would cost £86, which is for half an hour, because it rarely takes longer than that to diagnose a fault.

I was advised of the water pump failure and siezed caliper and told they were awaiting confirmation from the warranty people and expected it to be authorised.  Authorisation was confirmed just 30 minutes later.

I expressed concern at the £138 diagnostic fee as I felt my problem would be instantly recognised by one of their technicians.  It was explained to me that some "extra noise" problems can sometimes take a lot of dismantling to find the source.  I was assured that discretion would prevail and a pro-rata fee would be charged.  In the event, I wasn't charged as the problem was covered under the warranty.

I've only been visiting Lexus Cardiff (infrequently) for three years and I've made a point of developing a rapport with all of the staff, as a result I consider that I'm always treated fairly.

Hi great result there Steve , especially as the warranty was promptly honoured ,not having a warranty the only worry I would have (apart from the cost) is the relative low mileage of your car when the water pump failed

Dave

22 minutes ago, true blue said:

Hi great result there Steve , especially as the warranty was promptly honoured ,not having a warranty the only worry I would have (apart from the cost) is the relative low mileage of your car when the water pump failed

Dave

Yes Dave, I wouldn't expect a water pump failure at 44k either.

Routine servicing to the slide pins in the calipers would avoid siezing.  I'm very surprised this isn't a part of the service schedule, particularly as it's an Achilles heel of the IS. 

Water pump going on a IS250 at 44k is shocking. 

Brake calipers on lexus IS are a disgrace.  It's almost as though they designed them to seize up.

Not what you would expect from a so called prestige car. 

Brake calliper design is a common fault with Toyota, the Lexus ones are the same as a number of other cars in the Toyota range, just a poor engineering design. They can't get everything right, just look at the problems from some other prestige  manufacturers

Its not always a fact that a low mileage car will not have issues - age is a big factor in components and also how its been looked after. Calipers are a given throughout the brand - even the old IS200 suffered from seized callipers so it should come as no surprise that the later models have the issue which they have. It is a surprise that they are not part of the service schedule from Lexus as surely them must know of the issue but its where moneys made in replacement of parts. Takes 1 hour tops to re-grease the pins yourself, mentioned countless times on this forum. there's no way round it - They need doing and that's that.

A low mileage car - such as Steves at 2009 model is 8 years old - should ideally be on at least 90k. I have always gone for a car that has relative mileage to the age as it shows its been used regularly. A car sitting not being used, especially one with a large engine I don't think is good. Looked after it will do well but its the age that takes its toll - rubber perishes / greased joints dry up / exhausts rot if not used regularly.

It shows best in the slight increase in value of an old low mileage car compared to an average / high miler. You need to consider the extra vigilance needed for a low mileage car as services would be based on the age of the car and not the mileage in most cases. Would there be an argument in having the car serviced more as its not being used as much.?

On 04/02/2017 at 2:37 PM, is200 Newbie said:

A low mileage car - such as Steves at 2009 model is 8 years old - should ideally be on at least 90k. I have always gone for a car that has relative mileage to the age as it shows its been used regularly. A car sitting not being used, especially one with a large engine I don't think is good. Looked after it will do well but its the age that takes its toll - rubber perishes / greased joints dry up / exhausts rot if not used regularly.

I don't think there's anything "ideal" about my car having 90k on the clock !  Much happier with 44k :smile:

I agree that a car needs to be used regularly to keep everything "supple".  For the first 6 years of its life, my car was driven by a lady going to work and back, the shops and friends etc., it was serviced annually by Lexus at about 5,500 miles per annum.  Her hubby drove a larger Lexus and that vehicle was used for their family excursions.

I use it daily for work commutes and all other trips (our only car), We do just 10k per annum.  SO, you can't say my car hasn't been looked after nor used regularly.  Maybe my water pump was a Friday afternoon assembly :wink:.  The calipers are a legend in their own right, as everyone acknowledges.

We plan to move the convertible on in a couple of months time.  2009, 7 Lexus stamps, 44k miles, one previous, warranty to 11/17.  Think I'll have far more takers than your advert for a 90k car Noobie :tongue:.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links