Recommended Posts

To save me trawling through the manual, does anyone know if the door mirrors can fold automatically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Apparently not, as I have requested this myself of the dealer, both on my previous car, a 55 plate GS and my current one an 11 plate GS. It seems that it is only an option on the mk4 (2012 onwards). I have heard of kits that people have bought that can do it and perhaps someone has a price for one of those. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cruisermark said:

So what does this button do guys?

 

GS.jpg

It controls the mirrors but has to be done manually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone can tell me how to get at the back of those buttons in the drop down tray. I believe I can come up with a simple wiring diagram to make the mirrors auto fold when the doors lock, and unlock.

John.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That'd be a neat trick John.

Oooh I like taking stuff apart...

Still surfing for details but found a few useful images showing mounting of the overall unit; http://www.usedautopartsyouneed.com/lexus-used-parts/lexus-gs300-ls430-switches-84010-30200-624.html

How the switch panel clips onto the housing; https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-08-LEXUS-GS300-GS350-GS430-GS450h-GS460-MASTER-SWITCH-CONTROL-PANEL-OEM/222969384015

Part numbers; https://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/lexus+gs/334510/gws191r-bexqhw/4/5501/551630f/#55459D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Britprius said:

If anyone can tell me how to get at the back of those buttons in the drop down tray. I believe I can come up with a simple wiring diagram to make the mirrors auto fold when the doors lock, and unlock.

John.

I'll be looking with great interest at this.  Even my Volvo has the option to auto fold, I'm really surprised the GS doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have a go at removing the button tray, and see what I can come up with. I have the circuit diagram for the mirror operation, but for the life of me I cannot find a reference to the operating button in the drop down tray.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BMW E60 could auto fold with some coding via a Android app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's annoying that the mirrors on my is300 don't fold either. I also have a Ford BMax and they fold automatically.

Then again, that also has voice control which my lexus doesn't.  It does seem to amount  to unnecessary penny pinching.

Or maybe they are optional extras when buying the car ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hadrian said:

It's annoying that the mirrors on my is300 don't fold either. I also have a Ford BMax and they fold automatically.

Then again, that also has voice control which my lexus doesn't.  It does seem to amount  to unnecessary penny pinching.

Or maybe they are optional extras when buying the car ?

The GS has voice control for various things. I can ask it to set the interior temperature and it will do it quite happily, maybe I should try shouting!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are things which I didn't even consider when buying the car. I'm still happy with the purchase though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hadrian said:

They are things which I didn't even consider when buying the car. I'm still happy with the purchase though.

 

It's a minor thing so I'm really not that bothered.  I did speak to the car this morning to see what happened when I said "fold door mirrors" it came back at me saying "setting temperature to 30 degrees" 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree this would be a nice modification and really should have been part of the standard specification.

Another thing that would be good if the mirrors automatically unfolded once you exceed 10 mph or thereabouts.


Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y

13 hours ago, Odysseus said:



Another thing that would be good if the mirrors automatically unfolded once you exceed 10 mph or thereabouts.


 

Yeah had this on previous cars too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I agree this would be a nice modification and really should have been part of the standard specification.

Another thing that would be good if the mirrors automatically unfolded once you exceed 10 mph or thereabouts.


Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Driving off without having unfolded mirrors stikes me as driving without due care and attention!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Driving off without having unfolded mirrors stikes me as driving without due care and attention!

Yes, my thinking too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, better to have them open when you start!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of automatically folding mirrors in Lexus is American thing, in US they don't even fold at all. That is because in US average car parking space is at least twice as wide as one in EU, so it is simply not necessary. As such Lexus has retrofired folding mirror function in EU without much thought about it. I think they later added it as feature in US, just because exotic Europeans like BMW does it and it "looks cool".

On 5/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, Mike Hartland said:

 I have heard of kits that people have bought that can do it and perhaps someone has a price for one of those. 

There is PO-40 kit for IS250 and I see no reason why it would not work on GS, simply folds the mirrors when you lock the car and unfolds when you unlock it. you can still manually fold and unfold them with the button in you need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fitted a PO-40 kit to my ISF and it works a treat. The mirrors fold in when I lock the car and fold back out again when I unlock the car. It's very handy to be able to answer the question "did I lock the car" with out walking back to check - something that occurs with increasing frequency as you get older (believe me!). I ordered the kit from a guy in Australia and it arrived in about a week. The details are elsewhere on the forum if you search for PO-40.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now