Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Cross Climate

Hi, it looks like Michelin have reduced the size range for the Cross Climates, but their own site came up with 225/60R18 104W XL for the NX. It's available as a Cross Climate 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a puncture in one of the front tyres, I decided to replace the OEM Yokohama Blue Earth with the Cross Climates which were fitted earlier today. As I have mentioned before, I love the x-climates and have had them fitted to my previous NX and to RXs before that as well as to our non-Lexus cars. I replaced all 4 tyres as it is best to have the same tyres all around on a AWD vehicle. Interestingly, the rear tyres appeared to have plenty of life left in them, but showed cracks in the inside of the grooves, which was a bit of a surprise.

Unusually, my local Lexus dealer were not able source tyres from their usual suppliers, so I went to Protyre.co.uk, who have fitted tyres to my cars before.

https://www.protyre.co.uk/search#/car/225/60/18/any/H/nonrunflat

Cost was £152.00 per tyre.

Note that these are Cross Climate SUV, which apparently are being phased out (which explains the reduced stock) and replaced with the Cross Climate SUV 2, which do not appear to be widely available as yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the cross climate SUV’s fitted late last year and have 4000 miles on them, minimal wear. Great tyre.

Today I went out to the car and found a screw on the edge of the tread which is non repairable.

There are no Cross Climate SUV tyres available now on any of the tyre company websites as this size is discontinued. 225/60 R18

I’ll call Protyre tomorrow to discuss my options but it looks like I’m screwed, pardon the pun and back to 4 new summer tyres at this point.

Not happy this evening…..

• Sad 1

I had 4 new Continental All Season tyres fitted 2 months ago and spookily, just like you, I have a screw embedded in the tread which is not repairable. A new tyre arrives tomorrow.

Try Camskill tyres as they have Michelin cross climates in stock in your size at the time of writing.

I had Cross Climate SUV's all round. Protyre sourced a Cross Climate 2 in the correct size so all sorted.

The tread has a slightly wider block separation, you have to take a closer look to see the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in 4 x Crossclimate 2 tyres, ATS are currently selling 225/60 R18's at £149 each, but with £64 off fitting costs for 4, and an extra £50 claimable cashback... making it only £120 a tyre!.... til the end of August.

Just had 4 fitted and can't believe how quiet they are.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Noise ratings do not relate to the noise inside the vehicle-

Summer and winter tires have the EU tire label that indicates the noise level. This label, however, only covers external rolling noise. External rolling noise and interior noise may even be polar opposites, and reducing one may increase the other.

I had original Yokohamas on my NX at a rating of 69db. Changed to Continental all season at 72db and there is now hardly any cabin noise. The car is transformed.

I have just swopped all 4 tyres on my wifes golf and put on Goodyear vector 4 seasons. I read all the reviews available and TBH there is little difference between Michelins/Continental/Goodyear/Hankook's. Therefore for me it all came down to price and I got 15% off 4 Goodyear tyres. At the moment Black circles have 10% off Cross climates.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Noise ratings do not relate to the noise inside the vehicle-

Summer and winter tires have the EU tire label that indicates the noise level. This label, however, only covers external rolling noise. External rolling noise and interior noise may even be polar opposites, and reducing one may increase the other.

I had original Yokohamas on my NX at a rating of 69db. Changed to Continental all season at 72db and there is now hardly any cabin noise. The car is transformed.

I have just swopped all 4 tyres on my wifes golf and put on Goodyear vector 4 seasons. I read all the reviews available and TBH there is little difference between Michelins/Continental/Goodyear/Hankook's. Therefore for me it all came down to price and I got 15% off 4 Goodyear tyres. At the moment Black circles have 10% off Cross climates.

Thanks I did not know this. "Noise ratings do not relate to the noise inside the vehicle".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

That's right. The noise test is measured by the test car passing a microphone, placed a certain distance away, at the side of the track.

All true I'm sure. Just to say though, the Cross Climates are remarkably and noticeably quiet IN the car in comparison to the original tyres.

6 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

All true I'm sure. Just to say though, the Cross Climates are remarkably and noticeably quiet IN the car in comparison to the original tyres.

What were your original tyres?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Just to update - I replaced my Bridgestones with Cross Climate 2s. Might be anecdotal, however, it does seem to be quieter inside on the roads I have driven on. I have yet to take it on a motorway, however, it does appear to be quieter. 

I would expect any brand new set of tyres to be quieter than worn ones because there is more depth to the tread. Mine have 19000 miles on them and I think they have got noisier with tread wear. Again, it is anecdotal and subjective though.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, hunslet said:

I noticed that there are a few topics on here relating to tyres for the NX. I've done 28,000 miles now on the original Yokohamas so decided I had better start doing some research. The consensus seems to be that the Michelin Cross Climates are a sound choice but I had a slight panic as availability seemed to be an issue for some forum members. I went down to my local ATS and they said that they could get the tyres that I wanted tomorrow and as there is a deal on they would be £150 per tyre. If you look on the website you could be forgiven for thinking that Michelin doesn't do a tyre for the NX as everything is listed except those.

I'll be getting four cross climates fitted next week. There is loads of life on the rears which is a shame but I will be happier with some decent tyres

I had trouble getting Michelin for my rx450h so went with yokahama and they seem to be a good tyre 👍

23 hours ago, Pm4 said:

Is there a get me home tyre for a nx450h in Michelin Cross climate? Or a good alternative? 

Same question ...extended. Should I need to replace just front tyres on my NX450h [which are run flats], can I use normal Cross Climate on front and  keep existing run flats on rear?

34 minutes ago, Mobeam said:

Same question ...extended. Should I need to replace just front tyres on my NX450h [which are run flats], can I use normal Cross Climate on front and  keep existing run flats on rear?

Ideally you should have the same tyres all around to avoid different handling characteristics. That advise is more strongly given with regards to runflats - replace all 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Ideally you should have the same tyres all around to avoid different handling characteristics. That advise is more strongly given with regards to runflats - replace all 4.

Agree. If however only two tyres are being replaced I would be putting the cross climates on the rear wheels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Rotating the tyres at the prescribed intervals helps ensure that all 4 tyres wear at a similar rate and therefore need replacing at the same time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links