Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That was some game!

Can't say I'm surprised by result and although I am disappointed, the best team won.  They closed down and snuffed out our attacks, were more mobile and found their men better.  They were also more consistent with penalties.  The England side were overhyped by press, fans and commentators before the game leading to over expectation.  I hope expectations are more realistic for the World Cup! 

• Like 2

We just can’t handle the pressure. Italy were more savvy after the first 30 minutes, with professional fouls when needed to stifle England who ran out of ideas as the Italians closed the game down. That was men against boys.

The World Cup? I’m not confident. This was their chance. I’m sure we’ll get plenty of media saying how proud we should be and how well they’ve done but ultimately when it mattered they lost. Again.

I’m glad the football that matters - club football - starts again soon!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Pigs might fly, my friend. (0-3 is my guess)

I didn`t know Tranmere played yesterday....more info please Brent.

Tranmere rovers 1-0 Glasgow rangers. Apparently Stevie Gerrad blasted his players after the match not happy at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

We just can’t handle the pressure. Italy were more savvy after the first 30 minutes, with professional fouls when needed to stifle England who ran out of ideas as the Italians closed the game down. That was men against boys.

The World Cup? I’m not confident. This was their chance. I’m sure we’ll get plenty of media saying how proud we should be and how well they’ve done but ultimately when it mattered they lost. Again.

I’m glad the football that matters - club football - starts again soon!

Yes Ed they were more savvy as you say. They know every trick in the book always did.

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

It came home again. But does it matter?

Not where many in UK wanted. Hope people behave when going home.

We drive in great cars and that we can be happy about in a forum like this. In my opinion.

My opinion too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Can't say I'm surprised by result and although I am disappointed, the best team won.  They closed down and snuffed out our attacks, were more mobile and found their men better.  They were also more consistent with penalties.  The England side were overhyped by press, fans and commentators before the game leading to over expectation.  I hope expectations are more realistic for the World Cup! 

Spot on Barry, except "overhyped" was an understatement!

21 hours ago, steve2006 said:

football with players actually running up and down the pitch for 120 minutes.

couldn't help thinking how old and aggressive / gnarled some of those brilliant Italian players looked last night 

Their concentration seemed that of old men intent on a win ...  just so sad the temptation to pull shirts and whack English bodies and legs was also on their agenda ..... which those of us who saw the colour 1966 World Cup match the other day on tv would have noted that anything resembling that sort of action resulted in a foul being awarded

How the policing on the field has changed and gentlemenly acceptable behaviour has flown with the wind ........  sad about Rashford's mis-kick .....  poor lad, his mum must have been devastated .  as were we :unsure:

Live to fight another day eh !

Malc

• Like 2

Just now, steve2006 said:

“They think it’s all over.........It is now!”

“Some of the crowd are on the pitch…”*

* they want to take the penalties. After all, they couldn’t do much worse!

All I can say is that last night what I was feeling as the final penalty was missed rhymed with mucking bell.

• Like 1

I was saying that at half time Ed.

No strategy, no tactics, no leadership, no full team(Sterling might well not have played), no evidence whatsoever that Southgate has changed anything.

And I watched the game with TV on mute so as to avoid "the atmosphere" the hype and the superfluous drivel called commentary.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I was saying that at half time Ed.

No strategy, no tactics, no leadership, no full team(Sterling might well not have played), no evidence whatsoever that Southgate has changed anything.

And I watched the game with TV on mute so as to avoid "the atmosphere" the hype and the superfluous drivel called commentary.

John, I think there was a strategy, and it worked well for twenty minutes. However, once the Italians regained their composure and adapted there didn’t seem to be any ‘Plan B.’

I do worry that Southgate - nice chap that he clearly is, and noting he HAS had more success than any other England manager in recent history - just isn’t a ‘winner.’ Are England ruthless enough to now thank him for his achievements and move on to somebody who may be able to take the team to the next level? I doubt it.

I’m fully aware that opinions about the (Italian owned, Pozzo family) Watford management structure vary - to say the least - but they do know when to ruthlessly move a manager on if it isn’t working or if they feel a different manager could do better. I can’t help feeling that time is now for England if we’re going to have a real chance of reaching the World Cup semi-finals or beyond. I hope I’m wrong, I really do!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m fully aware that opinions about the (Italian owned, Pozzo family) Watford management structure vary - to say the least - but they do know when to ruthlessly move a manager on if it isn’t working or if they feel a different manager could do better. I can’t help feeling that time is now for England if we’re going to have a real chance of reaching the World Cup semi-finals or beyond. I hope I’m wrong, I really do!

From an AFCB ST holder...enjoy Josh King - not a bad transfer on a free if you can get the best out of him. I'd say best of luck for next season but the silly little rivalry that's built up between us prevents me :wink3:..(only joking I'm above all that but it seems large sections of our respective support on both sides aren't -at least on social media )

As for last night - frustration. Frustration that we could ALL see Italy getting back into the game and Southgate did nothing to counter it. The subs were too late and I won't comment on the penalties as I took the dog around the block knowing what would happen so missed them on purpose.  You could hear the roar from nearby houses when the Italians missed then silence, a very long silence. That said we're all armchair experts, fair play to England for making the final, at least the win over the Germans buried a few demons. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, doog442 said:
20 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

From an AFCB ST holder...enjoy Josh King - not a bad transfer on a free if you can get the best out of him. I'd say best of luck for next season but the silly little rivalry that's built up between us prevents me :wink3:..(only joking I'm above all that but it seems large sections of our respective support on both sides aren't -at least on social media )

^^ Luckily I don’t use social media! The rivalry only really started as both clubs were doing well, and both are small in stature. Got to have a rivalry with somebody, and at that point Luton Town we’re still a couple of divisions below.

I remember watching Luther play for AFCB at Exeter in the early 1990s when Alan Ball had just taken over from Terry Cooper as manager (there’s a 1966 link right there!). Never really had anything against any other club. Watford fans - like those from AFCB and pretty much all others - have a small percentage of meat heads but the other 99% just want to enjoy the game and have some light hearted banter. The only away games I’ve ever felt uncomfortable were Burnley and Wolves, both of which were quite unpleasant to visit!

Good luck for the coming season. I’ll wager we’ll be in the same division again one way or another before too long…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LenT said:

And probably would have done so, John, had I not been distracted by nearly twenty years of Prelude / Accord - what I now think of as my Wasted Years.

So clearly that WAS a subtle nuance that had eluded me!  I’m just relieved it hadn’t degenerated into a reference to Moby D***’s D***.

I appreciate that Phil was quoting someone else, but a less generous person than yourself (me, for example) might have pointed out that going after MD in a rowing boat was exactly what they did do.  And since whales are aquatic mammals, tartare sauce would be wholly inappropriate.  Mustard or horseradish would surely be the hunting condiment of a gentleman.  🙂

I think Len's compass is adrift here. MD is entirely an allegorical tome which I also used to express the task in hand and an interpretation of self-confidence. As to the whale being a mammal well everyone knows if it swims in the ocean it's a big fish really 🧑‍🍳but if you've ever eaten it you also know the best way to eat it is to add tartare sauce liberally then throw it away and get yourself a decent piece of Dover Sole . Which I did earlier on yesterday the seafront in St.Helier, marvellous 😎

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

John, I think there was a strategy, and it worked well for twenty minutes. However, once the Italians regained their composure and adapted there didn’t seem to be any ‘Plan B.’

I do worry that Southgate - nice chap that he clearly is, and noting he HAS had more success than any other England manager in recent history - just isn’t a ‘winner.’ Are England ruthless enough to now thank him for his achievements and move on to somebody who may be able to take the team to the next level? I doubt it.

All fair points Ed.

The Strategy was to win the game. The tactics were designed to achieve the Strategy

In my recent dreams I met a man who was the son, of the son of the son of an old Wizard  named Brian Clough. This old Wizard had once said "Give me a Goalkeeper, a Centre Half and a Centre forward and I `ll give you a Team. 

Last night we had a Goalkeeper who plays as if he`s the Curates Egg. Good in parts. Last night he hoofed the ball upfield many ,many times and on 90% of occasions he gave the ball to Italy. He saved a couple of penalties and let three in by choosing to dive before the ball had been kicked. Southgate let him do that.

Last night we had a Centre- Half, in fact we had two. One was submissive throughout and the other more dominating, but who cannot be pivotal ,nor head a ball in the direction of the goal, nor does he display leadership qualities that demand that other midfielders control the midfield. Our midfield did not turn up last night. Southgate was responsible for that.

Last night we had a Centre forward whose midfield play and ball distribution skills were first class, but that was not his job. It was the job of others who were not evident. When he was in the Centre Forward`s position in the opposition`s penalty area he was on his own surrounded by the opposition. Southgate was responsible for that.

The Manager selects the Team and allocates individual responsibilities in such a way as to play to everyone`s strengths for the benefit of the whole team.

We were fortunate to finish second last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

All fair points Ed.

The Strategy was to win the game. The tactics were designed to achieve the Strategy

In my recent dreams I met a man who was the son, of the son of the son of an old Wizard  named Brian Clough. This old Wizard had once said "Give me a Goalkeeper, a Centre Half and a Centre forward and I `ll give you a Team. 

Last night we had a Goalkeeper who plays as if he`s the Curates Egg. Good in parts. Last night he hoofed the ball upfield many ,many times and on 90% of occasions he gave the ball to Italy. He saved a couple of penalties and let three in by choosing to dive before the ball had been kicked. Southgate let him do that.

Last night we had a Centre- Half, in fact we had two. One was submissive throughout and the other more dominating, but who cannot be pivotal ,nor head a ball in the direction of the goal, nor does he display leadership qualities that demand that other midfielders control the midfield. Our midfield did not turn up last night. Southgate was responsible for that.

Last night we had a Centre forward whose midfield play and ball distribution skills were first class, but that was not his job. It was the job of others who were not evident. When he was in the Centre Forward`s position in the opposition`s penalty area he was on his own surrounded by the opposition. Southgate was responsible for that.

The Manager selects the Team and allocates individual responsibilities in such a way as to play to everyone`s strengths for the benefit of the whole team.

We were fortunate to finish second last night.

John, you are displaying your hang 'em and flog' em side I never knew existed. 😎. I have never followed football always preferring RFU in the winter, cricket in the summer and listening and reading about last night's debacle confirms my choice 🤠 

But if I understand it correctly at the conclusion of 90+30 minutes England had not lost? So no matter how high you laud the Italian strategy, play, tactics whatever it simply wasn't enough to overwhelm England was it? And England could not have been that bad albeit we finished as first alternate as the Americans would say. 

• Like 2

Thank you my friend for your penetrative observance of my (Dover?) soul.

Had you not declined my invitation to interview you would have been better informed than you are today.🤣🤣

I have been a competitive sportsman all of my days. Far too small to play Ruggers, but I did open the batting for School and Employer and bowled slow left arm round the wicket many many years ago.

I played football, Tennis, Squash and Golf and never went anywhere with the intention of not winning. A good mindset to have methinks.

Reasons are more important than excuses in all walks of life.

Glad you are back from your holiday and hope that it was most enjoyable.👍

We did well to reach the final and hold Italy to 1-1 in normal time. Very well. It wasn’t to be and to lose on penalties is always particularly hard to take. A great campaign but let’s hope we can go one better next time. Well done England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thank you my friend for your penetrative observance of my (Dover?) soul.

Had you not declined my invitation to interview you would have been better informed than you are today.🤣🤣

I have been a competitive sportsman all of my days. Far too small to play Ruggers, but I did open the batting for School and Employer and bowled slow left arm round the wicket many many years ago.

I played football, Tennis, Squash and Golf and never went anywhere with the intention of not winning. A good mindset to have methinks.

Reasons are more important than excuses in all walks of life.

Glad you are back from your holiday and hope that it was most enjoyable.👍

Well John you strike a rather wistful note reminding me of Kiplings "IF" and not the cakes 🎂 But also of Lou Holtz 'You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say you are when you lose" 🤩

I am still in Jersey and about to adjourn to the Lamplighter in St Helier to renew my acquaintance with a long standing friend - beer 😛, have a good day. 

• Like 2

Congratulations with the second spot and i mean that without irony. I found the game entertaining but not high quality football. The whole tournament was a bit like that really. Holland, Spain, France, Germany all fell through. Strong individual players ( especially France) but no team. Belgium was slightly above that but Denmark and Switzerland i really liked. more team spirit than talent but it can reach far in a tournament. And i miss the player of the tournament, the one everybody wants to see, the new kid on the block that all of a sudden is in the spotlights. All a bit bland really.

Anyway here's to Qatar next year, the country with an exciting football league of its own!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, dutchie01 said:

Anyway here's to Qatar next year, the country with an exciting football league of its own!

They have an exiting lot of money so who care how the quality of their football may be.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, dutchie01 said:

The press will go into overdrive over human rights Issues and the deaths of migrant workers. There's already talk of players boycotting. What an absolutely appalling decision to award them a World Cup. I guess we will never really get to the bottom of how much was handed out in backhanders as I understand Investigations are still ongoing.     

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links