Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

Who designs food packaging these days? Do they not cater for the senior members of society any more? M'lud, I offer the attached for your deliberation. White writing on a yellow background? Who on Earth a) thought that was a good idea, and b) signed it off? It really isn't on. I had to take a photo of it, then blow it up in order to make any progress. I wasn't happy, I can tell you. The end product wasn't too bad for a quick meal though to be fair.

20220321_181811.jpg

• Like 2

About upcoming "Life in the UK" test next months. Any tips or advices someone can give me?

So far i was using only this service and it seems to be great but i would appreciate a good friendly advice from a real person too. Thanks guys. 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, dutchie01 said:

Waiting for a red light with no other traffic to be seen for miles. ( happens a lot to me at night). Why in 2021 are traffic lights not intelligent??

Try flashing your Headlamps at the traffic lights as you approach them Bernard as they sometimes have light sensors fitted at the top.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herness said:

About upcoming "Life in the UK" test next months. Any tips or advices someone can give me?

So far i was using only this service and it seems to be great but i would appreciate a good friendly advice from a real person too. Thanks guys. 

As a UK citizen who has travelled a lot, and read a heck of lot on world history as well as UK history, I always fail when I take example tests for living in the UK, and I know 90% of UK citizens would fail.  

My advice is to somehow remember 'off by heart' as many of the answers as you can.  The challenge is whether your brain is better at taking tests or not.  My brain is rubbish, and I mainly fail tests, even on subjects where I am classed as an expert.  

The trick is to know how your brain stores and retrieves info, then at least you stand a better chance of knowing some techniques to improve memory.

If you want to Private Message me, I can send over some simple tests for you to take that would help me see how your brain helps you learn, then maybe that could help. 

Steve,  maybe ask yourself how you've coped in earlier tests in your life .........and remember the best way you performed with the skills you have to achieve that 

Might help ......

some people are good at tests, others are not so  ........  I'm quite good at Theory tests but totally 95% USELESS at Practical tests ......  those combined in exams was always a probable no-no for me in my earlier career life when it all mattered !  ( at the time )

Best wishes with it all

Malc

I clipped an alloy wheel on a very tight width restriction last week. The mark is only about an inch long and right on the edge of the wheel but I’m very irritated about it. Haven’t kerbed a wheel for over twenty years…typical that I’d do it now on a new car!

I go through that very restrictor at least twice a week and just can’t have been concentrating. Doh! Repair coming up…

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I clipped an alloy wheel on a very tight width restriction last week. The mark is only about an inch long and right on the edge of the wheel but I’m very irritated about it. Haven’t kerbed a wheel for over twenty years…typical that I’d do it now on a new car!

I go through that very restrictor at least twice a week and just can’t have been concentrating. Doh! Repair coming up…

May I venture to suggest that an otherwise routine manoeuvre became affected by your subconscious anxiety to protect your new car? I managed to do the same some years ago on my wife’s new car. She wasn’t happy at all , understandably. Think it isn’t something that detracts from your character or intelligence, but deeply annoying.

PeteTP

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

When I did that with my newly acquired Lexus in the first week of ownership, I found that my local ChipsAway guy was able to carry out an excellent repair.

Of course, it is a franchise and abilities may vary.  But it’s a service that comes to you - so very convenient.

30 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

May I venture to suggest that an otherwise routine manoeuvre became affected by your subconscious anxiety to protect your new car? I managed to do the same some years ago on my wife’s new car. She wasn’t happy at all , understandably. Think it isn’t something that detracts from your character or intelligence, but deeply annoying.

PeteTP

I’ve had the car for five months, and been through there many times. I think it’s more likely that a) it was very early and pouring with rain, and I had a two hour motorway journey ahead of me, and b) that journey was to present to a relatively large group of people. 

I like presenting but I think my mind was elsewhere and I was on autopilot. To be honest it’s probably a good reminder to always be 100% focused when driving even when there’s nobody else around.

33 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’ve had the car for five months, and been through there many times. I think it’s more likely that a) it was very early and pouring with rain, and I had a two hour motorway journey ahead of me, and b) that journey was to present to a relatively large group of people. 

I like presenting but I think my mind was elsewhere and I was on autopilot. To be honest it’s probably a good reminder to always be 100% focused when driving even when there’s nobody else around.

I`d have stayed overnight Ed and had a leisurely breakfast!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The weather's good, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and those factors put together can only mean one thing: it's not safe out on the roads. Why? Old f*****s in Nissan Qashqai's, driving around completely oblivious to any other road users, road markings or Highway Code procedures. Is the opening gambit of the Nissan salesman when approaching a prospective Qashqai customer something like "Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic? Are you not quite the shilling?" If the answer to at least one iis yes, he can proceed with the sale. Many of you will know that I have a thing against drivers of German cars. The thing is, they're generally a predictable bunch - you know one is going to cut you up, or glue themselves to your rear bumper on dual carriageways or motorways or be driving like a complete [insert expletive of choice here] most of the time. Qashqai drivers are a very different thing though. Dangerously unpredictable. Heed my advice and steer clear. Steer very clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Mincey said:

The weather's good, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and those factors put together can only mean one thing: it's not safe out on the roads. Why? Old f*****s in Nissan Qashqai's, driving around completely oblivious to any other road users, road markings or Highway Code procedures. Is the opening gambit of the Nissan salesman when approaching a prospective Qashqai customer something like "Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic? Are you not quite the shilling?" If the answer to at least one iis yes, he can proceed with the sale. Many of you will know that I have a thing against drivers of German cars. The thing is, they're generally a predictable bunch - you know one is going to cut you up, or glue themselves to your rear bumper on dual carriageways or motorways or be driving like a complete [insert expletive of choice here] most of the time. Qashqai drivers are a very different thing though. Dangerously unpredictable. Heed my advice and steer clear. Steer very clear.

Definitely one of my favourite moans of recent times! It should be utterly irrational, but instead it’s strangely familiar…

Going back a few years I used to drive quite a few miles each year, about 25-30k, as my job meant I had to visit offices across England.

I swear that, during that period, I came to the logical conclusion (to me, based entirely on my own experiences) that during the week post the school run (now there is a nightmare worth a rant!) driving standards were far better than at weekends or during holiday periods. I became able to tell - or so I thought - drivers who didn’t drive as much, or who were less used to busy motorways, roundabouts, junctions and suchlike. It was something about their general awareness, hesitancy and positioning on the road. 

I only drive about 5-8k miles a year now. I’ve almost certainly become ‘one of them’. Eeeeek.

• Like 3

....... seeing all the Qs of, I guess frustrated beyond belief drivers in stationery vehicles on the M2 yesterday lunchtime, coast bound,  as i was sailng thru' ( opposite direction ) to visit relatives in Bexley area ......... and the Qs waiting from the M2 junction to get onto the Dartford Crossing entrance road to visit Essex ........  now, why on earth would anyone wanty to go there :whistling:

Needles to say upon our return trip about 7pm the M2 coast bound  ........ roads were very EMPTY thankfully

Malc :yahoo:

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Definitely one of my favourite moans of recent times! It should be utterly irrational, but instead it’s strangely familiar…

Going back a few years I used to drive quite a few miles each year, about 25-30k, as my job meant I had to visit offices across England.

I swear that, during that period, I came to the logical conclusion (to me, based entirely on my own experiences) that during the week post the school run (now there is a nightmare worth a rant!) driving standards were far better than at weekends or during holiday periods. I became able to tell - or so I thought - drivers who didn’t drive as much, or who were less used to busy motorways, roundabouts, junctions and suchlike. It was something about their general awareness, hesitancy and positioning on the road. 

I only drive about 5-8k miles a year now. I’ve almost certainly become ‘one of them’. Eeeeek.

My own experience entirely, Ed.
During the week, when commuting between offices in London, Leicester and Manchester, I found that driving competence and road manners were noticeably superior to what was on display at the weekends.

It was as though there was a ‘Fellowship of the Road’ that had developed, in which HGVs were allowed room to manoeuvre and considerate driving was recognised and acknowledged. 

Now I often drive through towns with streets constricted by traffic and find that oncoming drivers don’t even apparently notice, let alone show any appreciation, that I have shown them any consideration.  And sadly this is no longer confined to weekends!

30 minutes ago, LenT said:

My own experience entirely, Ed.
During the week, when commuting between offices in London, Leicester and Manchester, I found that driving competence and road manners were noticeably superior to what was on display at the weekends.

It was as though there was a ‘Fellowship of the Road’ that had developed, in which HGVs were allowed room to manoeuvre and considerate driving was recognised and acknowledged. 

Now I often drive through towns with streets constricted by traffic and find that oncoming drivers don’t even apparently notice, let alone show any appreciation, that I have shown them any consideration.  And sadly this is no longer confined to weekends!

All of which supports your (and mine) long held view Lenny that the installation of a dashcam is of immense importance, notwithstanding its recording of one`s own mistakes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

All of which supports your (and mine) long held view Lenny that the installation of a dashcam is of immense importance, notwithstanding its recording of one`s own mistakes.

A good point, well made. 😊

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:46 PM, LenT said:

My sentiments entirely Ed.

I have spent many a happy hour debating - if such it can be called - with conspiracists.  But it’s akin to playing Wacka-mole.  I would often ask participants to provide the ONE piece of ‘incontrovertible’  evidence by which their argument would stand or fall.  

Inevitably if that was discredited then up would pop an equally fallacious alternative - often contradicting the previous position.

But the real danger of such thinking is that it discredits genuine conspiracies.  Which is why the tobacco companies of the early 60s were able to suppress their own evidence of a causal link between smoking and lung cancer.

And why that discredited crook, Andrew Wakefield, is now making a good living from gullible Americans by pandering to unsubstantiated fears about vaccines.

I once complained (Ie moaned) to the local Education Authority about an evening class to be run by a homeopath.  My  complaint was that she was claiming to teach ‘cures’ that even her own Association would not support.  They cancelled her class.  I suggested they ran courses in Critical Thinking instead.

It is astonishing that there are still people who will claim that the Moon Landings were faked despite practical evidence to the contrary.  Or that the Twin Towers attack was a US plot.

However, it is incumbent upon all of us to always remain receptive to claims that run counter to common experience.  For example, I have long been cynical about claims of ‘intelligent life’ on other plants.

But the reemergence of long-suppressed documentary evidence has caused me to rethink this possibility.  I’ve examined it closely.  It’s either a very clever piece of fakery - or it’s genuine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E

Morning Len.

Critical thinking you say (rightly) that is rarely used by the talking heads nowadays.

How then do you explain building 7 (?) 

You cannot of course so “it must” bring the whole story into question & if not why not ?

1 hour ago, VFR said:

Morning Len.

Critical thinking you say (rightly) that is rarely used by the talking heads nowadays.

How then do you explain building 7 (?) 

You cannot of course so “it must” bring the whole story into question & if not why not ?

Well I hadn’t expected the resurrection of a five month old post, but I have to say that your question is a touch too enigmatic for me.  I was tempted to suggest it might be the building constructed between numbers 6 and 8, but feared that might come across as facetious- for which I would apologise in advance. 🙂

But if you really think it’s an appropriate question for this Lexus forum, and one for which you think I might be able to provide an answer, then I suggest a little more detail would be helpful to avoid any misunderstandings.

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Well I hadn’t expected the resurrection of a five month old post, but I have to say that your question is a touch too enigmatic for me.  I was tempted to suggest it might be the building constructed between numbers 6 and 8, but feared that might come across as facetious- for which I would apologise in advance. 🙂

But if you really think it’s an appropriate question for this Lexus forum, and one for which you think I might be able to provide an answer, then I suggest a little more detail would be helpful to avoid any misunderstandings.

Guess it may be appropriate as it was a response to what you wrote.    😉

Building 7 was the third building that fell to earth later in the day after the two towers fell down, it had people scratching their heads at the time & still does I read.

I have posted on this thread before about how when you click onto it you arrive at page 1 every time (well it does for me ?) and not the last post as you expect, so I think I clicked on page 6 (?) that was showing and somehow ended up reading your post from a few months ago.     🤔

If you click on the title of a thread it will go to the first post in that thread. If you click the little dot (or star, if you have posted in the thread) it will take you to the first unread post since your last visit

• Like 1

My moan for the day is about my memory

Last week, I was tidying up the garage and came across a plastic device, looking like a fuel filler cap.  No idea what it was, I thought probably a piece of packaging from a washing machine, so I threw it away.

Fast forward to yesterday, where I was cleaning the oven (my wife insists I do this at least once a decade, whether it needs it or not!) and I wanted to take the oven lamp cover off to clean around it.  Could I budge it?  No, of course not.  Resorted to Google and found a recommendation for a cheap tool that helps remove stuck oven lamp covers.  It is, of course, the thing that I threw away last week.  Once I saw it online I even remembered buying it for exactly the same reason.

It's only a few pounds thankfully.  I'll think of it as an amnesia tax 😀😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Simon F said:

My moan for the day is about my memory

Last week, I was tidying up the garage and came across a plastic device, looking like a fuel filler cap.  No idea what it was, I thought probably a piece of packaging from a washing machine, so I threw it away.

Fast forward to yesterday, where I was cleaning the oven (my wife insists I do this at least once a decade, whether it needs it or not!) and I wanted to take the oven lamp cover off to clean around it.  Could I budge it?  No, of course not.  Resorted to Google and found a recommendation for a cheap tool that helps remove stuck oven lamp covers.  It is, of course, the thing that I threw away last week.  Once I saw it online I even remembered buying it for exactly the same reason.

It's only a few pounds thankfully.  I'll think of it as an amnesia tax 😀😄

Welcome to the club Simon. I`ve got mine in a box marked "use to remove light cover in the oven"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Welcome to the club Simon. I`ve got mine in a box marked "use to remove light cover in the oven"

Good idea.

I'll put it next to my box marked "pieces of string too short to be worth keeping".  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links