Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Recommendations

Sadly, my favourites, Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen2 (or 3) or Michelin Cross Climates aren't available in 20" size, so I'll be keeping my eyes on this topic myself.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:11 PM, Spock66 said:

Mine still has factory originals which are Dunlop SP SportMaxx.

I have the Dunlops on my 2021 RX. They seem fine to me, albeit nothing to compare against. It does seem to be a tricky size to source - there are a few value brands available but not much else beyond some Continentals and the Bridgestones previously mentioned.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:43 PM, robpace said:

Will need a couple of 235/55/20s for my 2016 RX450h F sport soon

Recommendations please !

TIA

If you’re considering fitting new tyres on just one axle, have you considered the potential problems that might be caused by mixing different handling and performance characteristics caused by variations in tread pattern and compound?

Personally, I always fit the same tyres all round.

• Like 1

I replaced all 4 tyres on my 4RX 450h recently and quite frankly I had a choice of Bridgestone Duellers or Bridgestone Duellers unless I wanted to pay £200+ for each tyre. Nothing else seemed to be freely available at local retailers. I would have liked to try Yokohama Geolanders as the wet road performance seems to be better , but availability at the time was poor. So I ended up with the Bridgestones again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 08ISF said:

I replaced all 4 tyres on my 4RX 450h recently and quite frankly I had a choice of Bridgestone Duellers or Bridgestone Duellers unless I wanted to pay £200+ for each tyre. Nothing else seemed to be freely available at local retailers. I would have liked to try Yokohama Geolanders as the wet road performance seems to be better , but availability at the time was poor. So I ended up with the Bridgestones again.

Some of the online outlets have other options. Pirelli Scorpion Verde look to be quite well reviewed at £188 from Asda Tyres. They also have a Chinese made (I assume) Saferich at £109, but who knows whether they would be any good!

Blackcircles have an ‘Infinity’ at just £94. At the other end are the Continental Cross Contact at £228.

I’ve just ordered the Yokohama Geolanders from Black circles delivery and fitting for £678. I always try and do all four tyres together, and ask the garage to rotate at service time. 

I managed to get 26k miles out of the Bridgestone Duellers. Would have got more, but the outside edges of the tyres are heavily worn. Perhaps I need to slow down on roundabouts!?

3 hours ago, WipeOut said:

I’ve just ordered the Yokohama Geolanders from Black circles delivery and fitting for £678. I always try and do all four tyres together, and ask the garage to rotate at service time. 

I managed to get 26k miles out of the Bridgestone Duellers. Would have got more, but the outside edges of the tyres are heavily worn. Perhaps I need to slow down on roundabouts!?

Hi Wipeout

Ive got a couple of months left in my Duellers so please could you let me know what the Yokohama Geolanders are like .

Might give them a go if you like them otherwise I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes.

If i could have got Michelin Cross Climates in 235/55/20 i would Definately have gone with them 

I sent an email to Michelin asking if Cross Climates are available in 235/55/20 size to fit Lexus RX450h F Sport. Here is the reply.

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN!

I regret to confirm that the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 is not available in the mentioned size (235/55/20 ) for your vehilce (sic) and we do not have any estimated date of release either unfortunately.

We will reply to you in 2 working days at least.

For additional information please contact us by email: contact@tc.michelin.eu, on our website http://www.michelin.co.uk/, our contact formhttp://www.michelin.co.uk/contact or by phone to 08000318802 or 0845 366 1590.

MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for the confidence. 

So they are not actually happy enough to accompany us on our journeys.

Perhaps it is time for all us Lexus owners to bombard them with requests for Cross climates in our size as they are missing out on a potential market.

JBP

33 minutes ago, JBPRX400h said:

Perhaps it is time for all us Lexus owners to bombard them with requests for Cross climates in our size as they are missing out on a potential market.

It's a nice idea but I'm not sure the tiny market the RX creates in Europe would be enough to justify bringing a non-standard size tyre to market.

38 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It's a nice idea but I'm not sure the tiny market the RX creates in Europe would be enough to justify bringing a non-standard size tyre to market.

Michelin Cross climates were available for my Chrysler 300C which was also an unusual tyre size (225/60R18)

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

255/50R20 seems a way more popular size with plenty of options. Are the RX wheels wide enough to consider up-sizing?

The RX wheels are 20"x8", most vehicles that take the 255/50 tyres (eg Jaguar F Pace) seem to be fitted with 20"x8.5" wheels.

11 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Michelin Cross climates were available for my Chrysler 300C which was also an unusual tyre size (225/60R18)

Maybe not the most common of sizes but still way more than the 20" ones being discussed here. I think that size was used on the NX, RAV4 and other manufacturers too.

So the 20” Yokohama Geolanders where fitted to my RX450h today.

You should remember I am comparing old worn Bridgestone Duellers with new Yokohama Geolanders. It’s hardly a fair comparison. On other cars I’ve fitted Michelin Cross Climates as I prefer an all round tyre, rather than one more focused for summer. I needed a tyre that can cope with living a rural location, the occasional muddy field and farm track, and the British winter countryside without too much of a compromise on the motorway and town. Noise, comfort and safety are important to me, not Nürburgring track times!

I’ve only done a dozen or so miles, but initially I am really impressed. I was concerned that the Duellers are rated at 69db and the Geolanders are 71db, but to me the Geolanders are quieter. Perhaps tyres get noisier with wear, but I am impressed with their quietness. The ride is a better, less minor road vibration. I had thought the car needed a geometry check as I wasn’t happy with the steering response, but that’s now all resolved. Again this could be due to worn tyres. Overall I am impressed, and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. They’re marked with mud and snow, and deeply grooved and sipped, but not the three peaks symbol ( a more demanding criteria for snow).

Initially, very happy with the purchase and happy to recommend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

morning folks, jumping on here for a tyre related question, i hope the OP does not mind

i order a tyre for the gen 3 RX and this is the

rating etc.

235/55 R19 105W XL

i am worried about the weight on each corner, the tyre i have ordered is rated at 925kgs.  

questions is have i messed up or are these good to use ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links