Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cherished Number Plates

Ken Timbers

I've been lucky in the past with buying cars that have interesting plates—I owned a Porsche Targa with the number 911KAT (my initials) and was mad enough to sell it with the plate, probably worth more than the car these days! As I'm about to buy what's likely to be my last car (Yes, I'm that old), I've been wondering what might be available that's more interesting than the number on my 'new' car.

I've done a variety of searches and found some possibles that won't break the bank. What do others think of the effect of attractive number plates? I haven't bothered about them for the last 10 years, but the arrival of the SC430 has me thinking perhaps....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ken Timbers said:

What do others think of the effect of attractive number plates?

Well, you did ask :laughing:

Personally I don't see the point.

Pretentious poseur with more money than sense is what they say to me :laughing:  However, each to their own :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are some silly ones like a standard number plate with BMW, yeah I know it's a BMW it's got badges on.

I used to see a car most days travelling to work that was a BMW with a GMW plate, pretty certain the sad owner got that as it was cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Pretentious poseur with more money than sense is what they say to me :laughing:  However, each to their own :thumbsup:

I have two. They're just for fun. Herbs is spot on though as when it comes to cars, I have no sense whatsoever. 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

There are some silly ones like a standard number plate with BMW, yeah I know it's a BMW it's got badges on.

I used to see a car most days travelling to work that was a BMW with a GMW plate, pretty certain the sad owner got that as it was cheaper.

The ones with X3 or X5 make me laugh out loud - especially when no longer on an X3 or X5 :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The ones with X3 or X5 make me laugh out loud - especially when no longer on an X3 or X5 :laughing:

Haha I have X1 OUT not on a BMW. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It has nothing to do with a small BMW, I think I bought it before the X1 came out. I didn't anticipate it but some X1 owners do seem to think the same way as Herbs, though they are rarely laughing. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob King said:

Best place for personalised registrations is direct from the DVLA ……

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

Thanks for that link, Bob. I found exactly what I wanted there immediately and at a very low price. I had tried one of the commercial sites without success, but the DVLA was certainly the place to go!

I don't think the number I've chosen is in the 'poseur' category: it has my initials, which will be a neat reminder as I get old and confused!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Ken

Welcome to you and I hope you enjoy your SC430 for many years to come.

I have had my cherished plate for 20 years and I enjoy it is my initials if I suffer memory loss! Also the fact it is shorter and makes what I think is an asceticly pleasing when on a vehicle.

20220505_081053.thumb.jpg.8e3f0f2c272ada0228fb854e0bce7005.jpg20220523_162236.thumb.jpg.d4fe99de11bc6d925c6f4716370c0c9a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when I bought my car 11 years ago it came with someone else's cherished number  N 7 GNT .......... zero value to me BUT if anyone wants to make me an offer, if they're a Gin'nTonic afficionado ............ then I'll be happy to swap it for a few beers :wink3:

Malc

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Malc said:

when I bought my car 11 years ago it came with someone else's cherished number  N 7 GNT .......... zero value to me BUT if anyone wants to make me an offer, if they're a Gin'nTonic afficionado ............ then I'll be happy to swap it for a few beers :wink3:

Malc

You do realise Malc that the plate will first need putting on retention (£80.00 now I think) and then will need nominating to the new owner ( £25.00 now I think).

Perhaps a few barrels of beer then ? 😀

• Like 1

jeez, rather more than the value of the old 'gal methinks ....  blimey £105  ...  21 pints at my local across the road :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I managed to find the number (from the DVLA) that, without any bastardisation of the numbers, obviously spells our surname (and no, our name isn't KN013 !), so gave it to our son for one of his special birthdays.   

Just good fun at that level

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Herbie said:

Pretentious poseur :thumbsup:

That's almost what my cousin said when she found out that I had one. She spelled "poseur" "w****r".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Illogan said:

I managed to find the number (from the DVLA) that, without any bastardisation of the numbers, obviously spells our surname (and no, our name isn't KN013 !), so gave it to our son for one of his special birthdays.   

Just good fun at that level

We bought one for my Father’s birthday a few years ago, on the basis that he never really wanted anything and had everything he wanted. 

I never thought he was that impressed as he tended to see anything that wasn’t essential as unnecessary, which I think was common from a farming background bought up in the 1930s!

It was just a low number and his initials from DVLA for £250. He gave up driving in 2012 due to Ill health, and died in 2015. I still have it on my cars now…

• Like 10

Both my wife and I have similar personal reg numbers - had them for some 30 years and changed them onto numerous cars - best thing is I never forget either of our reg numbers whenever I need to let someone know... And as I get older that's getting even more useful... 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

We bought one for my Father’s birthday a few years ago, on the basis that he never really wanted anything and had everything he wanted. 

I never thought he was that impressed as he tended to see anything that wasn’t essential as unnecessary, which I think was common from a farming background bought up in the 1930s!

It was just a low number and his initials from DVLA for £250. He gave up driving in 2012 due to Ill health, and died in 2015. I still have it on my cars now…

What a great permanent mementoe - well done you Ed. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

What a great permanent mementoe - well done you Ed. 👍

I got stopped by the Police on the M1 near Leicester - must have been before 2015 as I was doing a job then that required regular travel up North.

Officer was great - I was only going about 75mph, but it was very early and I didn’t slow down when I passed him so he decided to pull me over on a slip road. We had a nice chat, he asked what I did for a living, why I was driving so early, and he reminded me to stay focussed and to make sure I wasn't too tired. All very good. No fine issued, he wished me well and away I went.

What sticks in my mind is that he was curious to know what the registration number was all about as it clearly wasn’t my initials! Which made me think of this…

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/gchq-codebreakers-working-on-personalised-numberplates-2013100880154

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Herbie said:

How ironical Herbs in England to refer to someone using the term poseur 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

How ironical Herbs in England to refer to someone using the term poseur 😅

I would have used 'poser' but the dictionary said 'poseur' was more correct.

However, being from Preston in Lancashire, I would have normally used what Mincey's cousin did but I knew the board wouldn't let me use it anyway :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, PRT68 said:

My plate PRT68, is my initials and present age. Taken 50 years to get there!

I passed my 60, 2 years ago.

The initials still hold true.

But the J for Jimny when I first bought it was long gone 20 years ago!

20210901_164341.thumb.jpg.85073ba6dde194171120d113a2ee6cd8.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links