Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This was said recently on the radio. 98p per litre average UK price.

I usually have to pay 103 -105 around here.

On a trip to Shrewsbury, at Shrewsbury services it was 98p!!!

For it to average at 98 where is it selling for 95p?

Why can't we all pay the same?

How much is normal unleaded round your end?

I filled up my LS430 on Saturday evening at a BP in Hoddesdon Herts, BP Ultimate was £1.12 per litre :sick: and yes it was almost empty. Cost £81.00.

It could go to £2.00 per litre and it would still be worth it to drive an LS.

I also have a Range Rover 4.6 HSE (what carbon footprint?) with a 100 litre fuel tank so you just move the decimal places two digits to the right to know how much it is to fill from empty.

Given that 15MPG only gives you a 330 mile range you are on first name terms with the forecourt cashier quicker than you know it!

I also have a Range Rover 4.6 HSE (what carbon footprint?) with a 100 litre fuel tank so you just move the decimal places two digits to the right to know how much it is to fill from empty.

Given that 15MPG only gives you a 330 mile range you are on first name terms with the forecourt cashier quicker than you know it!

How do you judge whether petrol is expensive?

In 1954 I was earning £7.7s a week (that's £7.35p) as a newly graduated professional engineer, working in a design office for a large engineering company. This was the union (AESD) rate for the job. The maximum was £11.11s (£11.55p) for a 25 year old.

Jet petrol was set up in that year and sold petrol for the "cheap" price of four gallons for a pound (25p a gallon).

I am retired now so I have no idea what professional engineers are earning, but it is difficult to imagine a starting rate of less than £20,000 a year (about £385 a week)

So that's an increase in salary of a little more than 52 times. 52 times 25p is about £13 a gallon.

So - it's still pretty cheap really isn't it ? . . . . . . . :driving:

How do you judge whether petrol is expensive?

In 1954 I was earning £7.7s a week (that's £7.35p) as a newly graduated professional engineer, working in a design office for a large engineering company. This was the union (AESD) rate for the job. The maximum was £11.11s (£11.55p) for a 25 year old.

Jet petrol was set up in that year and sold petrol for the "cheap" price of four gallons for a pound (25p a gallon).

I am retired now so I have no idea what professional engineers are earning, but it is difficult to imagine a starting rate of less than £20,000 a year (about £385 a week)

So that's an increase in salary of a little more than 52 times. 52 times 25p is about £13 a gallon.

So - it's still pretty cheap really isn't it ? . . . . . . . :driving:

nah...engineers are way overpaid :lol:

try comparing a litre of petrol to water or beer even !!!

There's no point comparing petrol to any other fluid.

Yes, in these comparisons the petrol price per litre comes off a winner, I mean, i bought a Lucazade Sport drink, 700ml for £1.20, but the point is, that I don't buy 70ltrs of it a week!

The same can be said for any other fluid, some might say "oh yeah, i easily down that much in drink on a Friday night ha! ha! ha!!" but that's only as they think its cool to glorify drink.

We need to buy many many litres of the stuff to keep our cars running, so to be happy about the fact its cheaper then French Alps mineral water is just another ploy to get us to think that we arent infact paying way too much for fuel!

Time to get some serious protests started is what i say!

</rant>

p.s That's not a dig at anyone on here, im just getting annoyed at the public domains eagerness to idolise what people like Clarkson say and then suddenly think its Ok! [he compared it to water a few eps back]

Let me know if you ever see a petrol station doing BOLGOF ( Buy one litre get one free!) :whistling:

Where I live you'll be lucky to see a petrol station - period.

They've all been shut down and flats built on their sites.

:tsktsk:

Hmmm - you've noticed that too... Outside the south-east, has anyone else noticed loads of petrol stations being shut down in the last few years?

Let me know if you ever see a petrol station doing BOLGOF ( Buy one litre get one free!) :whistling:

Where I live you'll be lucky to see a petrol station - period.

They've all been shut down and flats built on their sites.

:tsktsk:

Hmmm - you've noticed that too... Outside the south-east, has anyone else noticed loads of petrol stations being shut down in the last few years?

up here in sheffield there have been LOADS that have closed, there used to be lots of independants around, the only ones remaining now are Shell,BP, Texaco and supermarkets. MOst seem to have either had flats built on them or turned into those hand carwashes

And has anyone else noticed how slow the pump delivery is nowadays?

It seems that as the price goes up, so the pump speed goes down. It takes an age to fill up now (even without any blow-back). On a cold, wet and windy forecourt this can be a right pain in the proverbials.

I was a pump-attendant in the late 1960s, and I reckon it took ABOUT 20 secs to stick in 4 galls (c.18 litres). I reckon it takes two or three times longer now. Or am I just more impatient?

I wonder what the real calculations would be.

Meanwhile, as fuel becomes more expensive, so driving an LS becomes yet more special.

Season's Greetings to all Lexus pilots!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links