Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drilled And Grooved Discs. Ur Opinions!

sorted vti

Drilled discs are a waste of money, imho. More likely to warp and crack than solid discs.

Unless you are getting a Ferrari where at least they cast the discs with holes in them, drilling holes in a cast iron disc is a waste of time. However, perhaps you are looking for looks over performance?

From listing:

"FRONT DISCS 296mm x 32mm

REAR DISCS 308mm x 12mm"

Why are the rears bigger than the fronts?

The rear discs have to have space for the handbrake shoes inside so are slightly bigger? :)

Oh yeh, suppose so. Braking surface is less but overall diameter may well be more.

These discs are advertised for most Lexus models it seems, would a big V8 have the same size disks as the IS? And everything inbetween?

yeah i must admit it is more for looks. but i do want them to perform better than standard too.

think il order a set. il let you guys know how i get on.

Ditto what the guys said - if you want to get performance better than standard go with the grooved - like the guys say the drilled holes can cause weaknesses in the disk which can potentially crack at some point.

I had some grooved ones which were good, little noisier but at the end of the day it was hardly noticable.

well ive ordered these and hope to recieve them next week.

ordered some mintex pads aswell.

as long as these are just as good as standard discs then il be happy. as i say there more for looks.

il get some pics of them fitted and post them up.

well ive ordered these and hope to recieve them next week.

ordered some mintex pads aswell.

as long as these are just as good as standard discs then il be happy. as i say there more for looks.

il get some pics of them fitted and post them up.

The OEM setup is excellent and more than adequate, its used on the GS300 for sure, and 430 I think. Its definitely for looks, Stavs supra (4 pot) front set up didnt make much difference, even tho they has been rated as one of the best brakes of all time e.g against ferrari, porchse etc

• 2 months later...

I use the ones in the pictures on the listing, they are EBC fronts, both grooved and drilled.

They look good and perform well but they tend to add a fraction of noise. I was looking at the stats and they do help you stop faster in an emergency, stopping 1m sooner could be the difference in a new bumper!

Just be careful, with this, they are giving the pictures of EBC breaks but they say variety of sources. A full retail set of front rotors will cost £198 inv vat and delivery. So not sure what you may be buying here. Would suggest paying the extra and not having to worry that is standard discs with some guy in a garage with a drill and angle grinder adding paterns for you!!

i had ebc grooved with dimples on them on my turbo ka, the dimples dissapeared very fast which left me thinking they are not very hard wearing and after 5 laps at a track day they had turned purple i was using green stuff pads. after that day they didnt feel right so replaced them with black diamond discs and pads. much better.

also i noticed on eBay some sellers selling drilled and grooved discs in the small print it says that only front discs are drilled and grooved so watch out for that

i have ebc drilled and groved on mine,slightly better,but they are slightly noisey,when i was looking for the fronts i also looked for matching rear dics,couldnt find them anywhere,so not sure where he's got the rears from.i got my front ones from esp designs!

I'd take care.

I know what it is to buy these in and at that price its way to cheap for a set of 4.

dave is right...

i wouldnt skint on brakes.....

drilled discs, certainly cheapo ones will for defo end up cracking, the only drilled discs ive never seen crack, are Porsche ones!

the std IS200 brakes are very very good, hence why used on the GS, and i think the n/a supra

the stopping distance was the best in its class...better than some of the more high end cars.

MOST after market brakes....including the supra set up, will not stop the car faster, only that they will be able to do, more high speed braking before fading becomes apparent, plus the supra design is to save a little more weight

my experiance with EBC, has never been good, the reason the discs wear quickly is that the EBC pads are an aggressive compound

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links