Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Not really Ls400 related so if not acceptable please delete.

Tonight I was infuriated by a Honda civic driver who thinks it is acceptable to park in my wife's private disabled space.

I live in a very, very small rural village in Scotland and, as one of the most picturesque village in the whole of Scotland, we have around a million visitors a year.

Our cottage is on the edge of the village and has a private car park at the rear which is clearly marked, with several signs saying RESIDENT PARKING ONLY. And if that wasn't enough my wife has a designated disabled space there.

The poor woman(only 43) has a hip problem and nearly died of kidney failure at the beginning of the year so now has to have 5 days of dialysis a week.

Yet some incredible low life parked his ****ty civic in her disabled spot.

Oh now comes the Lexus part :)

I have parked my Ls400 1 inch away from the civic's rear bumper and left a note on their windscreen. There's no way they can leave without knocking my door :)

I am disabled and also come across what your wife has experienced on a daily basis. I have a private parking space which is allocated and fully marked for disabled only, but I am sure you are well aware no law covers these spaces on private land and anyone can use them with or without a blue badge, doesn't help your mood but sadly today so many people couldn't give a damn what they do or who they upset.

Good luck with the war and keep on fighting. Mike.

• Like 1

The attitude of some motorists never ceases to amaze me. Many of them are totally selfish, uncaring and lazy cretins. A lot of these people really are extremely lazy, if they are visiting someone they absolutely need to park outside of the house they are visiting, not 50 yards away, not even 10 feet away, no no, they can't be expected to walk any distance at all. So much so that just last week, I and another driver had to knock a few doors to get someone to move their car/s as the traffic had come to a standstill, they had parked exactly opposite each other and nothing could get through!

I hope that you have caused the Civic owner a lot of inconvenience. They might learn something....................................................then again, they might not!

• Like 1

Manners and thoughtfulness are sadly in decline. We are living in a world of the ME culture - people with big elbows seem to get their way!

There may be a good explanation (some sort of emergency?) why they parked in a disabled bay. Did the Civic have a disabled badge by any chance?

I think it a good idea to leave a polite (!) note on their windscreen. Any more than that and, well, who knows what answer might follow...

Coming back home and finding your disabled bay has been used by an other which is without a disabled Blue Badge is a real pain and I mean "Pain" Having to park further away means you have to walk further and use a non disabled bay, that can have complications of its own, trying to get in and out of the car because you don't have the space to open your door far enough to get in and out, so you park it further away, even more walking you find a space when there is no car parked next to you only to come out in the morning to find now there is a car parked next to you and you have no chance of being able to get into your car, what to do?

You can cancel going out maybe to a hospital/doctors appointment no chance of getting to that then, have to cancel that and hope you can get another appointment, back indoors until that car has gone which means even more walking.

In the States all Disabled bays on public or private land come under the jurisdiction of Police/ Wardens and the fixed fine out there for ABUSING a disabled bay can be as over $2000 and that is the norm.

So all that walking backwards and forwards, extra pain because of all the backwards and forwards, having to cancel your hospital/doctors appointment, the bad mood you are in now and all because someone hasn't got the good grace not to abuse a parking facility specifically for a disabled person.

A polite note???????????? Mike.

Manners and thoughtfulness are sadly in decline. We are living in a world of the ME culture - people with big elbows seem to get their way!

"There may be a good explanation (some sort of emergency?) why they parked in a disabled bay"

There is no reason for you or anyone else to use a disabled bay. if there is only a disabled bay to park in you park further away or go into a multi story after all you are abled bodied.

I agree with the manners and thoughtfulness being in decline, no one cares anymore. Mike.

Did the Civic have a disabled badge by any chance?

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and give my view as to why some people consider disabled parking spaces fair game. Some are just completely lacking in consideration, or are too thick to realise it makes a difference, as they can't empathise with someone who has mobility problems.. Others probably take the view that many, many blue badge holders are doing so fraudulently. I absolutely do not refer to your circumstances, really, but the percentage of disabled drivers / passengers in my area who get out of their cars and are clearly more sprightly than I am (I have no significant disabilities, touch wood) is astonishing.

I find it both amusing and infuriating in equal measure to see people who get out of their cars in disabled spots, with walking sticks, and miraculously, often do not seem to need them. This sometime happens gradually, as they feel the need to put on a pretty pathetic display when exiting their cars, but when I see them a few minutes later, in the supermarket perhaps, it is clear that the stick is performing no useful function. My educated guess is that they are worried about being filmed by dss investigators and losing their benfits, but it drives me nuts. I sometimes speak up and say something like "disabled, my a**e", but they are quite shameless. I have relatives with significant disabilities so feel quite strongly about it. The penalties should be far more severe, both for thoughtless parkers and fraudulent badge users.

• Like 1

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and give my view as to why some people consider disabled parking spaces fair game. Some are just completely lacking in consideration, or are too thick to realise it makes a difference, as they can't empathise with someone who has mobility problems.. Others probably take the view that many, many blue badge holders are doing so fraudulently. I absolutely do not refer to your circumstances, really, but the percentage of disabled drivers / passengers in my area who get out of their cars and are clearly more sprightly than I am (I have no significant disabilities, touch wood) is astonishing.

I find it both amusing and infuriating in equal measure to see people who get out of their cars in disabled spots, with walking sticks, and miraculously, often do not seem to need them. This sometime happens gradually, as they feel the need to put on a pretty pathetic display when exiting their cars, but when I see them a few minutes later, in the supermarket perhaps, it is clear that the stick is performing no useful function. My educated guess is that they are worried about being filmed by dss investigators and losing their benfits, but it drives me nuts. I sometimes speak up and say something like "disabled, my a**e", but they are quite shameless. I have relatives with significant disabilities so feel quite strongly about it. The penalties should be far more severe, both for thoughtless parkers and fraudulent badge users.

Nothing controversial about that. I wish everyone thought the way you do. I have been disabled since the age of 9 and as I have got older the disability has got worse. Why should we put polite notices on their cars that are abusing the space which has been designated for me and others like me. If anyone wants my disabled parking place you can have my disabilities, they would soon change your mind. If I was given a pound for every time I've heard but I was only a couple of minutes I'd be a millionaire many times over. The Blue Badge scheme and Disabled Parking Bays are heavily abused and I can assure you that steam comes out of me when I see those that need a walking stick to get to the bank but are able to run back because its started too rain I could go on but I am annoying myself just sitting here typing it in.Thanks for your thoughts Hugh. Mike.

• Like 1

Representative of the times we live in, I'm afraid.

Slightly OT: Only recently I had to park outside a neighbour's house a few doors away due to our driveway being occupied. Anyway, later in the day, some pretentious p***k visited the neighbour in question, in some silver nondescript blob (S-max or somesuch). He parked about an inch from my rear bumper (so as not to block the driveway of the neighbour he was visiting - go figure) - and I deliberately hadn't left much room in front of me, so as not to be greedy with space. Eventually I went to get the car. Fortunately I was able to get out of the tight space without a problem. It just took a little while. However, after watching me do this, the cheeky b*****d then emerged and drove off! But not before closely inspecting his front bumper in case I'd damaged it with my 20-year-old heap! (Some people really need a slap!) I was so tempted to approach him and say "Why don't you join your local IAM group? They will teach you considerate parking, and also how to manoeuvre so that you can get out of a tight space with confidence, just like you saw me do!"

But getting back to the thread: In these parts there would appear to be a surplus of disabled bays. Statistically they're empty most of the time. Outside the local Co-op, it's a case of: "Park in a disabled bay (which would seem fair if just a flying visit and there's nobody disabled queueing behind), or cause a backlog of traffic by waiting for a regular bay. Either option is likely to incur somebody's wrath.

Rudy

In the USA your Dis/ space would invoke a $500 penalty if violated .I suggest you put a notice on same stating anyone wishing to park there does so under US law and the equivelant exchange rate apples on the day.

If nothing else it will give them food for thought.

Rudy

In the USA your Dis/ space would invoke a $500 penalty if violated .I suggest you put a notice on same stating anyone wishing to park there does so under US law and the equivelant exchange rate apples on the day.

If nothing else it will give them food for thought.

In many states now it will attract a fine of $2000 especially where the Blue Badge is also used in the abuse. All States run independently from each other but most are fairly similar in fines, laws and rules. It works roughly like this. Use of disabled space without a blue badge $950, misuse of blue badge $950, there is no discount for paying early. You can be fined here £1000 for misuse of badge but sadly it goes in front of a magistrate and we all know what they are like for a sucker story.

Until we get back some honesty and and respect into society we will still suffer every time we go out. Mike.

I did put a not-so polite note on their windscreen including my house number, which was still there untouched when we went out this morning.

When we got back home a few hours later, the car was gone so unfortunately I never got to talk to the owner :(

Must have given them food for thought?

Who knows?

Years ago they would have a public service announcement about driving laws and behaviour - it is about time they brought them back. Do any of you remember Cliff Michelmore and the programmes, "So you think you can drive?"

• Like 1

I did put a not-so polite note on their windscreen including my house number, which was still there untouched when we went out this morning.

When we got back home a few hours later, the car was gone so unfortunately I never got to talk to the owner :(

They may well have known what they had done was well out of order and waited for you to go out. Mike.

I did post pics of the car including registration all over Facebook :)

And no, it did not have a blue badge displayed.

In reply to a post - I see people without badges park in disabled bays at Asda, or other public car parks all the time.

To park in a designated disabled space in a small, private car park, far away from the main road and at a dead end which has large signs saying 'RESIDENT PARKING ONLY', tops my list of inconsideration, anti social behaviour and simply being a selfish ****. amen :)

• Like 1

Being disabled myself I get fed up with those who say "I saw a bloke pull into a disabled bay & it was clear he wasn't disabled" 1st how the hell do they know, simple they don't but they think it gives them the right to park in those bays. I had one *** market trader who was blocking one of the very few disabled bays in the town centre say to me when asked to move the boxes filling the bay "you people think you can park anywhere" I asked "who are these you people you refer to" A great deal more was said but I won't bore you suffice to say he/they have been banned by the town clerk from plying their junk at the market.

A previous post referred to someone leaving their vehicle with walking sticks obviously pretending to be disabled because once in the store they didn't need them. My response to that is once thay had a shopping trolley they wouldn't need the stick as the trolley would act like a Zimmer frame. Also if their limp was for the beneifit of the DSS who might be videoing them why would they stop once in the store, would'nt the DSS follow them into the store, of course they would so that comment is utter nonsence like many I see on the web

It amazes me that many who critize the benefits the disabled aquire are actually jealous of us. Anyone can have my disability AND benefits provided I can be well again. Any takers?

• Like 3

Being disabled myself I get fed up with those who say "I saw a bloke pull into a disabled bay & it was clear he wasn't disabled" 1st how the hell do they know, simple they don't but they think it gives them the right to park in those bays. I had one *** market trader who was blocking one of the very few disabled bays in the town centre say to me when asked to move the boxes filling the bay "you people think you can park anywhere" I asked "who are these you people you refer to" A great deal more was said but I won't bore you suffice to say he/they have been banned by the town clerk from plying their junk at the market.

A previous post referred to someone leaving their vehicle with walking sticks obviously pretending to be disabled because once in the store they didn't need them. My response to that is once thay had a shopping trolley they wouldn't need the stick as the trolley would act like a Zimmer frame. Also if their limp was for the beneifit of the DSS who might be videoing them why would they stop once in the store, would'nt the DSS follow them into the store, of course they would so that comment is utter nonsence like many I see on the web

It amazes me that many who critize the benefits the disabled aquire are actually jealous of us. Anyone can have my disability AND benefits provided I can be well again. Any takers?

I think we could even sell our disabilities as they shouldn't get them for nothing. Second thoughts let them have them. Mike.

I have no time for able-bodied people who park in disabled spaces, but just because somebody appears to be able to walk away from their car unaided does not mean that they do not have a disability which requires them to park close to their destination.

Disabilities come in many forms, and there are many medical conditions which mean that a person has no obvious mobility problems, but that they may have very little energy and are unable to walk any distance. Prosthetic limbs have also improved hugely these days, to the point that it may not be obvious that somebody is using one. Heart or lung ailments may reduce the distance that somebody can walk. And the list goes on.

OP: have you posted the photos on YPLAC? (Sorry, it's NSFW so you'll need to search for it if you don't already know what it is!)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links