Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The cold has arrived in the South

stormchaser

But the feeling tonight of heated soft leather seats was bliss on the way home from work at 1am. Air con still works at 3 degrees (take note Skoda!) with a temperature of 23 in the car. Felt great. One annoyance is that when you let the front windows down and back up again the windows don't clear.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stormchaser said:

But the feeling tonight of heated soft leather seats was bliss on the way home from work at 1am. Air con still works at 3 degrees (take note Skoda!) with a temperature of 23 in the car. Felt great. One annoyance is that when you let the front windows down and back up again the windows don't clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that you mention the non-clearing windows.

Mine are also like that on both the RX and IS. I think its to reduce the amount of scratches on the glass. On the other hand, BMW 1 series have really tight seals, they clear the windows with one up/down motion but end up having loads of fine vertical scratches after a while.

However, the front side windows have rain repellent glass so the water usually disappears after a short drive

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

Interesting that you mention the non-clearing windows.

Mine are also like that on both the RX and IS. I think its to reduce the amount of scratches on the glass. On the other hand, BMW 1 series have really tight seals, they clear the windows with one up/down motion but end up having loads of fine vertical scratches after a while.

However, the front side windows have rain repellent glass so the water usually disappears after a short drive

Odd..my windows clear on my IS200t (which is a bonus)...but didn't on my 62 plate 135i.  ...2 door thing I presumed.

• Like 1

2 degrees here on the Sussex coast this morning and just one minute along the road and warm air was coming through which is pretty impressive.  But alas, the side windows needed the hands on approach!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stormchaser said:

I must admit the CT does warm up quick. I like that compared to what I've had to put up with in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to put up with numb fingers on the way to work.  My last estate car was a Vectra, and just as I arrived at the door of my workshop (5 miles from home) the first hint of something vaugly warm came through.  I do find the perforated leather seats take slightly longer to heat up than electric elements.  My Volvo has perforated seats as well and I'm sure the older electric ones heated faster, although on a positive note the Volvo ones could freeze your hind quaters in the summer!  

• Like 1

On 03/11/2016 at 10:15 PM, The-Acre said:

2 degrees here on the Sussex coast this morning and just one minute along the road and warm air was coming through which is pretty impressive.  But alas, the side windows needed the hands on approach!

Make sure your side vents are pointed up and out...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PCM said:

Make sure your side vents are pointed up and out...

It's just the way the outside of the glass isn't cleared when it's wet by lowering the windows, some cars it seems are just made that way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

It's just the way the outside of the glass isn't cleared when it's wet by lowering the windows, some cars it seems are just made that way.

Understood. I just wipe mine with the rubber sider of a scraper - amazing what a difference it makes in the dark!

42 minutes ago, PCM said:

Understood. I just wipe mine with the rubber sider of a scraper - amazing what a difference it makes in the dark!

I know, I'm just being lazy!  Actually, when it comes to good visibility I guess there's no room for laziness.

We have mini one of those things window cleaners use? It clears the rain off without scratching. I appreciate Lexus doing this so the windows don't get scratched, but it can be difficult to see on these Autumn mornings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As a note of caution, do not scrape frost off privacy glass with an ice scraper. I am still annoyed at being charged £500 at trade in time for scratches on the privacy glass by the money grabbing Lexus dealer I traded it in at.

I use warm water to melt the ice then a sponge to wipe it off.

• Like 1

I know, I'm just being lazy!  Actually, when it comes to good visibility I guess there's no room for laziness.

Haha yes me too. Rains ok but just the damp that blocks them.

I asked my dealer about this when my RX was in for a service a few weeks ago. I was told that indeed, the design adopted by Lexus does not allow for water/moisture to be cleared by winding the windows down and back up.

This is for two reasons:

1. to protect the rain-repellent coating on the front side windows

2. to prevent the glass from being scratched. This is apparently in response to customer feedback. (Before you argue this one out, bear in mind this is customers globally, not just in the UK).

• Like 1

I'm sure I read in the owner's handbook about using a jug of warm water for clearing the side windows, or was that just to free the glass from the rubber surround?

I know many drivers that use warm water to de-ice or defrost their windscreens.

Thanks for the research DanD.

I'm using a scraper for the windscreen and the rubber part for the side windows. I've had it for years and is still very good. I don't like de-icer because when you drive off it just freezes again. Tonight was a hard freeze but I'm still amazed how quick the CT heats up.

I have to admit to using de-icer, mainly because the it is difficult to reach the middle of the screen with the RX. I agree, it often freezes again.

I wonder if some are better than others, and also whether someone has found a reasonable alternative.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2016 at 11:06 AM, PCM said:

... on that note, just stocked up on de-icer and screen wash, and a new battery ... 

Ditto - just bought some myself yesterday - car has been sluggish to start last 3-4 days so have had to order a new Battery whch is arriving soon - the cold has certainly arrived!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links