Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A rare occasion for me, I had to drive from London to the west Country on my own on Friday Night, to meet up with the wife and kids. My Lexus is 18 years old and has just tripped over a Hundred K.

I am an old git staring sixty in the face and am mostly well behaved these days.

Once I got past the road works on the M4,found myself cruising at 85-90.Then an occasional blip up to 110 just for fun ,then I heard this voice in my head saying" I can do 150 , Go on, Pleeeaaase!!"

Common sense kicked in for a bit ,then I was reasonably well behaved until I got off the motorway and passed through Melksham.You then have a series of Roundabouts with a two mile stretch of straight between them.

So obviously I put it into sport mode and floored it, talk about Jeckyll and Hyde!,It can fly!, Slow down for each roundabout, ( a bit), then off again

I turned up at Trowbridge grinning like a loon, The Oldest Boy Racer in Town!

The best and fastest car I have ever had.

• Like 4

I bet that wasn't repeated on the return journey with the real voice of common sense sitting next to you!!

These cars do have an annoying way of pleading for release don't they?  Being an even older git staring mid 60's in the face I can only say it doesn't go away!  I've just had a very pleasant traffic free drive to Brighton and back, only just over an hour but still a very enjoyable car to do it in, plus 32 MPG which is definitely a figure you wouldn't have seen at 110mph!  Naughty boy. 

52 minutes ago, moonraker58 said:

Once I got past the road works on the M4,found myself cruising at 85-90.Then an occasional blip up to 110 just for fun ,then I heard this voice in my head saying" I can do 150

It's the speed cameras that hold everyone back, those digital cams stuck up on high posts can get a number & speed at well over 2 miles & have been able to do that for much more than a couple of years, others you simply can't see, it's always good to have a TomTom running in the hope someone has sent them a warning of a cam somewhere. Takes around 3 or 4 weeks for the ticket to arrive through post.

It’s strange how effortless it is to hit silly speeds in a modern car. I did a European roadtrip in a modified Evo X earlier this year. With nearly 500bhp on tap I found it fun to sit at 150-160 on the derestricted stretches of the autobahn.   

Should encounter a few derestricted stretches on next years trip which will hopefully be in a LS430. Let’s see what she manages to do!

16 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

It’s strange how effortless it is to hit silly speeds in a modern car. I did a European roadtrip in a modified Evo X earlier this year. With nearly 500bhp on tap I found it fun to sit at 150-160 on the derestricted stretches of the autobahn.   

Should encounter a few derestricted stretches on next years trip which will hopefully be in a LS430. Let’s see what she manages to do!

There's an interesting YouTube video about the launch of the LS430 in 2001 with Chris Goffey where he states that you quickly find yourself doing instant disqualification speeds without realising how you got there, and I can certainly relate to that!

and in October I found there was the opportunity for a Speed Awareness Course at 80mph ................  bugger this car with zero morals about exceeding 70mph   :yahoo:

Malc

@moonraker58 Henry know that road like the back of my hand having lived and worked around there it's the A350, so we're the same age albeit with different cars the sensations are the same for us all so here's me recently behaving just like you briefly of course.........

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.280135801cc5b1a012f2463910c9663c.JPG

Big Rat

I just love how effortless and smooth these cars are to drive, it’s so good knowing how much muscle you have under your right foot, it’s great fun teaching the boy racers a lesson sometimes!!!

3 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

I just love how effortless and smooth these cars are to drive, it’s so good knowing how much muscle you have under your right foot, it’s great fun teaching the boy racers a lesson sometimes!!!

From what I've been reading here the boy racers are in fact you lot!

• Like 1

There was an old boy in his Seventies in my area.....with a Black 96 MK3... who made a point of hitting 150 over a deserted Shap Fell.... every time he took his three  pals to play Golf somewhere....he said they all giggled like Schoolboys every time.... said it was what the car was built and designed to do....and would do it good to  blow out the cobwebs.....and it always ran noticeable better for weeks later too....he was an Aero Engineer and knew his Motors..

When i had my Ls there was a trip betweeen work sites for a lecture we had to attend. I had 3 colleagues with me and the guy behind in his tt had a passenger. Lets say we were making good progress to the meeting and with a slight bend in the road approaching i pulled over to let the tt passed. He pulled in behind me. When we arrived i asked why he didnt fly passed? His reply was that was all he had. The Ls had plenty more to give. Reminded me now how much i need another lol

I have to tell you about my experience with my ’96 LS400.

Long story alert.

I bought it in 2001 with about 50k miles on it and in August 2002, I decided we’d do a Grand Tour of Europe, with the intention of exercising my LS on the Autobahns.
That year had torrential rain during our passage through Germany - we were limited to practically walking pace on the Autobahn, and that’s where I learned of the eminently sensible practice of traffic parting between the lanes to create a clear lane for the emergency services - they were needed due to the number of aquaplaing accidents.
We witnessed some epic flooding and cut short our stay in Germany to head over the Alps to some better weather. It was there, on the Autostrada that I got up to 140mph with my wife videoing the road and speedo. To quote: “You’re not doing that again!” Just as she said that, we went under a gantry festooned with cameras and other gadgets which could well have been speed cameras!!

A few days later (21Aug2002) we were on another autostrada which was so clear and inviting - but SWMBO declined to hold the camera.
Those were the good old days, when it was in no way dangerous or irresponsible to hold a video camera while edging up to 150mph!
I still remember just how quickly your intended exit looms up - and goes past - when you’re travelling at that speed.

Here (hopefully) is a screen shot...147mph.jpg.d6ed3f1a58fdb3b669662293f0410076.jpg

Another story - I hope that the statute of limitations applies here.
Nov. 2013 and my wife and I, my daughter and her partner were going from Oop North to that there London to see my new-born grandson. We were hooning down the M1 at about 8pm, 70 - 85 ish depending on traffic when we were overtaken by a car which settled down in front of us at a slower rate, causing me to overtake them. This was repeated twice more, and on the third time we all made eye contact with the people in the other car and smiles ensued (!).
They overtook again, and I said those fateful words to my crew: “I’ll show him who’s boss..!” and floored it. Went past him at about 130mph and slowed right down again to (I think) about 110 when I saw the shape behind me. No lights as yet but I hurriedly coasted to 69mph and watched downhearted as the shape settled in behind me then put on the lights.

In the back of the police car, I was abjectly apologetic, and they showed me the video: “We clocked you at 110mph…”

Now, we had a “full and frank discussion” at the end of which the officer said: “We’re going to recommend you for driver education”. Wow, what a relief and surprise. I found out later that they could not have recommended if they reported a speed greater than - I can’t remember without looking it up - but say 82mph.

They were adamant that driver training was a good result as “you won’t have any record, or penalty other than the cost of the course”. I complained that this was not true - the insurance comnpanies insist on being informed, and act accordingly…

Many weeks pass by, with me doing extensive research on what the possible outcomes were, but still no contact from the Police.

My research leads me to believe that, as the offence was reported by an officer, there is no time limit to prosecution, so I’m hoping that the reason I’ve heard nothing is that the police somehow screwed up the paperwork - they did not give me a copy of the ticket!
Here we are, four years on, and I still have the Traffic Offence Report on my desk as a reminder. These days I very rarely do those sorts of speeds :~)

5a4c229e07886_TrafficOffenceReport2012.thumb.jpg.c9e361d9f347712431f0b9d2faa5b5d8.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/12/2017 at 7:25 PM, Malc said:

and in October I found there was the opportunity for a Speed Awareness Course at 80mph ................  bugger this car with zero morals about exceeding 70mph   :yahoo:

Malc

hahahahaha ...................  I said this earlier  .....  the letter said  " in excess of 70 mph "  and of course it was BUT I don't know how much at all

As gentlemen we only speed when the situation demands, where as when I was a hot head in my 20's driving from Heathrow to Bristol in under an hour was a challenge to be met (and regularly achieved).

Got stopped once doing 120 overtaking an unmarked police car (just before midnight) and got let off (why, I do not know - maybe they were on their way back for cocoa and biscuits and as M4 was empty decided I was an idiot but not endangering anyone else and the paperwork would be a pain).

A few weeks later I tried the M3 from Winchester to Basingstoke (2am in morning) at 130, was okay until when overtaking a lorry that gap seemed awfully small at that speed.

After that M3 run, I was mainly a good boy.

My dad was motorway patrol office in the 80's on the M3, and he said anyone doing over 85 was a dead cert for a ticket at any time of day, but he was more keen to stop dangerous driving, not fast driving. 

Only ever taken either of my LS up to 115 a couple of time, but it is scary how quick it gets there, but nice to know the power is there. 

Driving my wifes X-type sport at the moment (my LS having new radiator) and though it is quick, the power kick of a the V8 is certainly something I miss

There was gov talk sometime last year that they were going to raise the limit to 80mph & that the 70mph was made in the 1960's which took into account the car technology of that time

I always found a warning from a police officer more effective than a fine. I still recall a trip up to Denmark in my IS250 several years ago. It was night, dark and it rained like never seen before. The road was still very driveable and quiet so i was cruising at around 90mph. At a certain moment a volvo was about to overtake me but kept driving next to me. Police...  The only thing they did was flash the blue flashlight they had ( inside the car on the dashboard!!) and  waved their hand telling me to slow down. I nodded in confirmation and they were off..

Education is part of their duties i guess..

On 1/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, dendonc said:

There was gov talk sometime last year that they were going to raise the limit to 80mph & that the 70mph was made in the 1960's which took into account the car technology of that time

if it was 70 in the 60's, should be around 100 today

On 04/01/2018 at 9:38 AM, Cotswold Pete said:

Only ever taken either of my LS up to 115 a couple of time, but it is scary how quick it gets there, but nice to know the power is there. 

How noticeable is it when the Car slips into Overdrive, presumeably by the time you reach that speed? 

Is it smooth or jerky?. 

I've not gone up to that speed as I think I have a fault with overdrive which may have something to do with the Capacitors.  Just too humid to take out the box in this weather as I don't have a garage I can get the Car into.  Well thats my excuse though I've set out a workbench for the job. Four different soldering irons, wipes, cue tips, Isopropyl, bicarb, flux sticks etc..    

Its the only noticeable issue I have with the Cars running, so I'm unable to have the occasional "lad" moment on those lovely French roads between Orleon and Limoges at 2.00am in the Morning, when I'd quite like to give it some Welly.

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

How noticeable is it when the Car slips into Overdrive, presumeably by the time you reach that speed? 

Is it smooth or jerky?. 

I've not gone up to that speed as I think I have a fault with overdrive which may have something to do with the Capacitors.  Just too humid to take out the box in this weather as I don't have a garage I can get the Car into.  Well thats my excuse though I've set out a workbench for the job. Four different soldering irons, wipes, cue tips, Isopropyl, bicarb, flux sticks etc..    

Its the only noticeable issue I have with the Cars running, so I'm unable to have the occasional "lad" moment on those lovely French roads between Orleon and Limoges at 2.00am in the Morning, when I'd quite like to give it some Welly.

Stuart,

A smooth as a baby's bottom all the way through, never had had snatching/jerking in any mode, even in my Mk3 which had the Capacitor issue (stalling after long runs when coming to a halt).

I guess capacitors going AWOL will cause all sorts of weird issues.

• Like 1