Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

...when I was learning to drive in my Dad`s Ford Popular 100E, I think it was. 3 speed box on the floor and vacuum wipers too.

Now there’s a drive down memory lane.  That was my first car too - and what halfwit ever thought vacuum wipers were a good idea.  Going uphill or trying to accelerate in the rain - and the wipers would slow down and stop!

Eventually I fitted an electric motor to take over the task.

But if I recall correctly (and I may not) the vacuum takeoff came in useful when I fitted a vacuum-operated brake servo.  It also had a four-barrel Carter carb and I’d had the head skimmed.  For a while it also had a sack of coal in the boot to improve the snow-covered hill climbing performance.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

Let us know how it goes, very interested!

I will. I am still thinking if I need to do that as I still have so much different polishes, scratch removers and waxes! Ceramic coating is like totally different field that uses totally different products, as far as I know. So I am dubious at the moment but the thing was ordered! 🙂

I am getting a new (new to me, not brand new!) motorbike hopefully this week so ceramic coating first will go on it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put the CORRECT Wheel nuts on the replacement wheels after realising that the cone nuts on the Grandstand wheels were not correct.   Flat faced 22m and locking nuts now in situ.

The Brain has not been engaged.

Its not been a good year, so far! Doh!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

What'cha bought? :thumbup:

I went for BMW GS, wanted a motor with that engine and a shaft drive for ages, that was an itch that I HAD to scratch! lol! 🙂

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Vlady said:

I went for BMW GS, wanted a motor with that engine and a shaft drive for ages, that was an itch that I HAD to scratch! lol! 🙂

The 1250, 1200, 1150, 1100, R80GS, R100GS, or the 650/800? There's a lot of BMW GSes.
I like the 1200/1250 motor. The rest leave me cold. 
That said, enjoy it! Going out for a ride on my 1000 this weekend. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

The 1250, 1200, 1150, 1100, R80GS, R100GS, or the 650/800? There's a lot of BMW GSes.
I like the 1200/1250 motor. The rest leave me cold. 
That said, enjoy it! Going out for a ride on my 1000 this weekend. :thumbup:

George sorry, forgot to put down, it is a 1200, 66 plates. 1250 are too expensive yet! So far love it!

What 1000 do you have? I traded in Honda CBF1000, 2007 for a BMW. It was a good bike too!

• Like 1

Today I was mostly using a bit of elbow grease on my manky headlights. One Turtle wax headlight restoration kit, couple of cloths and a roll of masking tape later.....  Literally took me 15 minutes to do and I think the results speak for themselves. Its not 100 percent but its good enough for me 

Headlights.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/18/2021 at 12:05 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Which one did you buy? There seems to be a variety?

Turtle Wax 51768 Headlight Restorer Car Headlamp Polish Cleaner Kit about £10 on amazon and Halfords have it as well. 

Just as an aside, they give you one plastic glove for putting on the final stage cleaner and sealer (you really need those as it does help) I'd bin it and use a pair of standard surgical type gloves as the little sachets contain folded bits of soaked paper/cloth and you need to unfold it which is a bit difficult with one hand.  The kit has little sandpaper pads as well if the compound on its own doesn't do a great job and there are some youtube videos that show how to use it that are quite good. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Vlady said:

George sorry, forgot to put down, it is a 1200, 66 plates. 1250 are too expensive yet! So far love it!

What 1000 do you have? I traded in Honda CBF1000, 2007 for a BMW. It was a good bike too!

Hi Vlad, mine are a GTR1000 and a GTR1400. The 1000 is 32 years old and has 200k miles on the frame and 145k on the current engine. The 1400 is 14 years old and has 75k on her. The 1000 is my "Tourer" and the 1400 is my sportsbike. 😁

The 1200 engine is good. Thank god they finally ditched the dry clutch and went for a non-agricultural gearbox. 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Hi Vlad, mine are a GTR1000 and a GTR1400. The 1000 is 32 years old and has 200k miles on the frame and 145k on the current engine. The 1400 is 14 years old and has 75k on her. The 1000 is my "Tourer" and the 1400 is my sportsbike. 😁

The 1200 engine is good. Thank god they finally ditched the dry clutch and went for a non-agricultural gearbox. 👍

OMG! To me these miles seems intergalactic even if they were on the car never mind the bike! My ex Honda had 34k miles and I thought this is high ish mileage!

Well done on looking after the bikes! This is incredible! Message me couple of photos of them, would be good to see these 2 machines!

Bought 4 of these today from Kwik Fit. Heart in my mouth to be honest. All went well until they tried to start the car! Flat Battery! Doh!

Managed to start with a slave Battery - no warning lights. You get 15% discount if you buy 4.or more.

Best price I could find in my area.

Off for a run to check the balancing and charge the Battery a little. Will be on the trickle charge tonight.

Michelin Cross Climates.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Bought 4 of these today from Kwik Fit. Heart in my mouth to be honest. All went well until they tried to start the car! Flat battery! Doh!

Managed to start with a slave battery - no warning lights. You get 15% discount if you buy 4.or more.

Best price I could find in my area.

Off for a run to check the balancing and charge the battery a little. Will be on the trickle charge tonight.

Michelin Cross Climates.JPG

So whats the verdict on these mechelins and what did you have on your car previously?

I have a set waiting to be fitted to my 430 - just getting as much out of the Dunlops as possible

I received my ceramic coating bottle (Avalon King) so last week, when the weather was good I washed the car, removed the tar, clay bar it and polished using DA polisher, all have been done so I could apply ceramic coating. I can't say that the car looks great after coating has been applied, I think after good polish and wax application that car looks nicer and you have that wet look but hydrophobic properties of the ceramic are impressive! 

It took me couple evenings to prep the car, wrt applying the coating it was really easy. So I hope it will last a while and also will protect my paint job better than a wax.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

So whats the verdict on these mechelins and what did you have on your car previously?

I have a set waiting to be fitted to my 430 - just getting as much out of the Dunlops as possible

Bridgestones. The vibration at 80 mph has now gone away! The tyres were over 5 years old and grazing on the side walls. They cost £118 each with fitting/balancing/tyre disposal. Very please so far, though to be honest, I can't feel any difference in the ride quality.

• Like 2

I've had Michelin Pilot Sports on mine, for 16 months, and they are certainly quieter than the Dunlop SPs they replaced. I haven't noticed any, significant, difference in handling. 

I'm thinking of putting all-weather tyres on next time.

3 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

I've had Michelin Pilot Sports on mine, for 16 months, and they are certainly quieter than the Dunlop SPs they replaced. I haven't noticed any, significant, difference in handling. 

The Cross Climates have been praised by many members, so I thought I would take a punt.

Just an update to the flat Battery -discovered the rear power door would not open! After reading the horror stories on here, I was NOT a happy bunny, As has been noted, the door will not open manually. Gutted, was my first reaction.

After locking the doors and unlocking it came back to life! Phew!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

Hi Brian,

I had Michelin Pilot on the E Class for 18 years and found them to be excellent and very quiet. A few weeks ago I PUT 4 MAXXIS  ALL WEATHER tyres on and whilst I `ve not driven more than 100 miles I FIND THEY ARE JUST AS QUIET AS THE MICHELINS.

I have had KUMHO ALL WEATHER SOLUS HA31 tyres on the GS for 4 years and they are excellent in every respect. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The Cross Climates have been praised by many members, so I thought I would take a punt.

Just an update to the flat battery -discovered the rear power door would not open! After reading the horror stories on here, I was NOT a happy bunny, As has been noted, the door will not open manually. Gutted, was my first reaction.

After locking the doors and unlocking it came back to life! Phew!

If you are looking at MCC's try phoning your  local Costco, most competitive cost per corner I have found so far 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The vibration at 80 mph has now gone away!

aha !  you see David ...  we know you're fibbing :yahoo:coz no one would ever admit to breaking the speed limit .....  and we know you've not been on an autobahn with them coz that's not legal right now .. well, unless you're on business I guess :wink3:

Malc

11 minutes ago, Malc said:

aha !  you see David ...  we know you're fibbing :yahoo:coz no one would ever admit to breaking the speed limit .....  and we know you've not been on an autobahn with them coz that's not legal right now .. well, unless you're on business I guess :wink3:

Malc

If the Defence may argue Sir. An indicated 80 is an actual 72, so life is inappropriate, but 2 weeks in the Stocks might be considered for my Client ?🤣🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If the Defence may argue Sir. An indicated 80 is an actual 72, so life is inappropriate, but 2 weeks in the Stocks might be considered for my Client ?🤣🤣

May I point out to both my learned friends that the statement provided "the vibration at 80 mph has gone" did not, firstly, say the tyres were fitted to any particular car, secondly at no point did he state he was the driver of the vehicle to which they were fitted,. Furthermore, you will note that the letter g and h are adjacement on a UK keyboard so I may wish to venture that the wording should have read 80 mpg, ie referring to the wonders of Lexus frugality 😎

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links