Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX loaner

I’ve had a UX250H as a loan car today whilst my NX300H has been in for a service and MOT.

I’m so impressed with the UX. It feels like a quality car to drive, so much nicer than a CT. It goes very well and the powertrain is so much more responsive than an IS300H and an NX300H with a much more linear relationship between throttle and get up and go. No rattles, doors feel solid, and it all feels nice. Comfortable seats. Quiet, refined and a very nice place to spend time. I’ve been exploring the performance on offer and yet still recorded 52 mpg. I love it in fact. A surprising amount of performance from a 4 cylinder Lexus hybrid and the best I’ve experienced this side of a GS450H.

Downsides? The centre console feels a bit hard against the outside of my left knee. There is no padding or soft feel materials here. I also can’t get my golf clubs and trolley in the boot without dropping one of the rear seats. The latter is probably a deal breaker for me because it means my clubs would always be on display. As has been said by many, the boot is quite poor.

What a great car though and a genuine small Lexus. I can see why so many are buying them.

The spec of the one I’m driving is, I think, a standard car with the premium pack. It has blind spot monitoring, premium nav and leather. Some gorgeous 18” wheels too, at least I think they are 18”. Didn’t have my glasses so couldn’t read the small numbers on the sidewalls. Bridgestone tyres and they are runflats and the ride is fine, absolutely fine, and I can be quite critical of that in cars.

Above all else, it is a fun car to drive around in. Seemingly endless grip and it goes very well.

An idea is forming to swap NX for UX with my wife driving the UX. I then buy something with a V8 under the bonnet. Had two and want to scratch that itch again. Watch this space!

The UX is a cracking car in my opinion. If you can manage the smaller boot then it’s a very fine car.

• Like 5

Just now, paulrnx said:

I also can’t get my golf clubs and trolley in the boot without dropping one of the rear seats. The latter is probably a deal breaker for me because it means my clubs would always be on display. As has been said by many, the boot is quite poor.

That's the deal breaker for me as well. In the IS and now the 340i I can keep the trolley tucked back out the way and the bag will go sideways.

My dealer do this daft thing of cramming in tiny suitcases in the UX, like they're trying to convince you that silly tiny space can hold more than two jack Russels.

That said I looked in the boot of an NX last week and walked away. How do you get a set of clubs and a trolley in there ? 

Just now, doog442 said:

That's the deal breaker for me as well. In the IS and now the 340i I can keep the trolley tucked back out the way and the bag will go sideways.

My dealer do this daft thing of cramming in tiny suitcases in the UX, like they're trying to convince you that silly tiny space can hold more than two Jack Russels.

That said I looked in the boot of an NX last week and walked away. How do you get a set of clubs and a trolley in there ? 

The bag goes in first with the club heads in towards the corner behind the seats with the base of the bag just clear of the tailgate. The trolley then goes into the large space between the club heads and the tailgate. The trolley just clears the parcel shelf, just. Then there is room left for my shoes. My IS and a previous Jaguar XF were better but it does all fit in my NX.

• Like 2

Try the UXe! Even better to drive. Honestly Its almost on par with the RX and a bigger boot to match

I was genuinely surprised how different it is to the UX hybrid

• Like 1

Rayaan is spot on as the UXe Is the best UX by far given the price is a key spoiler.

Trust Paul's NX service has significantly improved the drive characteristics of his car as it polar opposite to mine even in D-Mode.

Tel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I’ve had a UX250H as a loan car today whilst my NX300H has been in for a service and MOT.

I’m so impressed with the UX. It feels like a quality car to drive, so much nicer than a CT. It goes very well and the powertrain is so much more responsive than an IS300H and an NX300H with a much more linear relationship between throttle and get up and go. No rattles, doors feel solid, and it all feels nice. Comfortable seats. Quiet, refined and a very nice place to spend time. I’ve been exploring the performance on offer and yet still recorded 52 mpg. I love it in fact. A surprising amount of performance from a 4 cylinder Lexus hybrid and the best I’ve experienced this side of a GS450H.

Downsides? The centre console feels a bit hard against the outside of my left knee. There is no padding or soft feel materials here. I also can’t get my golf clubs and trolley in the boot without dropping one of the rear seats. The latter is probably a deal breaker for me because it means my clubs would always be on display. As has been said by many, the boot is quite poor.

What a great car though and a genuine small Lexus. I can see why so many are buying them.

The spec of the one I’m driving is, I think, a standard car with the premium pack. It has blind spot monitoring, premium nav and leather. Some gorgeous 18” wheels too, at least I think they are 18”. Didn’t have my glasses so couldn’t read the small numbers on the sidewalls. Bridgestone tyres and they are runflats and the ride is fine, absolutely fine, and I can be quite critical of that in cars.

Above all else, it is a fun car to drive around in. Seemingly endless grip and it goes very well.

An idea is forming to swap NX for UX with my wife driving the UX. I then buy something with a V8 under the bonnet. Had two and want to scratch that itch again. Watch this space!

The UX is a cracking car in my opinion. If you can manage the smaller boot then it’s a very fine car.

A very well rounded review of the fine UX.

I had a UX for 48 hours last summer to see if I could live with the smaller boot as like you I play golf 3/4 times a week and as you say the boot is too small for clubs and trolley,you can see I ended up purchasing a UX and I put the clubs on the rear seat not ideal but you really can’t see the clubs very easily from the outside due to the tints,I purchased some very cheap covers for the seat and seat back which one of my golfing friends thought was original Lexus and not Amazon/eBay £10 covers!

Overall after 6 months ownership it still makes me smile,that’s got to be a good thing!

I will keep an eye open to see if you do purchase one!

A444AD50-8A1D-4F14-A80B-6505AF4A3991.jpeg

B9B6B7A1-3F80-4957-B601-B6240A177AA5.jpeg

3F4801F4-1A00-4256-B1D6-23DCB0B9C473.jpeg

• Like 1

My car has been back to the dealer a few times in the last month to complete some warranty work, and as such, I have been in the unusual situation of having the use of a base spec UX and a Takumi UX300e within a week or so of each other.

As a direct comparison, it is almost like testing two completely different cars.

I will admit I am not a fan of the standard spec UX250h.  I am not going to go into details, but it was very much not my cup of tea.

However, I rather enjoyed my time in the electric version, partly because of the spec, but mostly for the driving experience.  Now I will say that a lot of that is probably down to the novelty factor but I do think it would take a while for me to get bored of it.

Also, regardless of the method of propulsion, the comfort and convenience difference between the alternate ends of the specs was stark.  Granted you are talking of a over £20,000 price difference, but that doesn't change the experience.

Ultimately, what I am trying to get at is that I wouldn't own a standard UX250h but would certainly consider a UX300e Takumi if it was affordable.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

My car has been back to the dealer a few times in the last month to complete some warranty work, and as such, I have been in the unusual situation of having the use of a base spec UX and a Takumi UX300e within a week or so of each other.

As a direct comparison, it is almost like testing two completely different cars.

I will admit I am not a fan of the standard spec UX250h.  I am not going to go into details, but it was very much not my cup of tea.

However, I rather enjoyed my time in the electric version, partly because of the spec, but mostly for the driving experience.  Now I will say that a lot of that is probably down to the novelty factor but I do think it would take a while for me to get bored of it.

Also, regardless of the method of propulsion, the comfort and convenience difference between the alternate ends of the specs was stark.  Granted you are talking of a over £20,000 price difference, but that doesn't change the experience.

Ultimately, what I am trying to get at is that I wouldn't own a standard UX250h but would certainly consider a UX300e Takumi if it was affordable.  

Even if at first you do not like a car, they can grow on you. I hated the design of the Toyota C-HR when I first saw it but it is now growing on me. Not that I would buy such a small car. The negativity towards electric cars will subside when they become more popular. I have nothing against electric cars except range, price AND lack of certain body types.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Even if at first you do not like a car, they can grow on you. I hated the design of the Toyota C-HR when I first saw it but it is now growing on me. Not that I would buy such a small car. The negativity towards electric cars will subside when they become more popular. I have nothing against electric cars except range, price AND lack of certain body types.

I feel exactly the same about the C-HR 👍

On 7/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

The negativity towards electric cars will subside when they become more popular. I have nothing against electric cars except range, price AND lack of certain body types.

what negativity ? once you go electric, it is very difficult to go back to ICE

38 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

what negativity ? once you go electric, it is very difficult to go back to ICE

Reluctance might be a better word to use than negativity.

Electric cars still have their downsides at present. Don't get me wrong, I would have an electric car if it fitted all my requirements - cost being the main stumbling block! I have Yorkshire in me!

• Like 1

I had the use of an almost new UX for the day while my RX was last serviced.  I found it very agile but as well as having a miniscule boot, it is very cramped in the rear which made for difficult access/egress for my fairly elderly sister.  I also found it rather claustrophobic.  It did make my RX feel boat like but I can live with that.  I might go for a NX when the new model comes out as I quite liked the current NX loaned to me on another occasion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Reluctance might be a better word to use than negativity.

Electric cars still have their downsides at present. Don't get me wrong, I would have an electric car if it fitted all my requirements - cost being the main stumbling block! I have Yorkshire in me!

I tend to agree. Negativity or reluctance means the same in this particular context. There’ll also be many people that will never want to drive an EV due to the added complexity of the whole range, charging points, charging process, operation perspective. There are plenty of people who have zero interest in cars and only see them as a means of getting from A to B and barely want to stop to put fuel in every now and then. Planning journeys around charging points and unplugging the car outside before every journey and plugging it back in at home after a journey will never be acceptable to people like this. Early adopters of tech will love them. People who are not into tech and just want basic things will not love them and may well view them as a pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I tend to agree. Negativity or reluctance means the same in this particular context. There’ll also be many people that will never want to drive an EV due to the added complexity of the whole range, charging points, charging process, operation perspective. There are plenty of people who have zero interest in cars and only see them as a means of getting from A to B and barely want to stop to put fuel in every now and then. Planning journeys around charging points and unplugging the car outside before every journey and plugging it back in at home after a journey will never be acceptable to people like this. Early adopters of tech will love them. People who are not into tech and just want basic things will not love them and may well view them as a pain.

I think a big driver towards adopting electric is the psychological effect of getting approximately 150 miles to a gallon equivalent. I do understand the real economics of initial cost outweighing the overall cost of owning such a vehicle. Do not underestimate the "psychological" effect of superior mpg. The cost of running a 4 litre petrol engine on a relatively cheap car changes the REAL costs of ownership, depending how much mileage is covered in a year. But when it comes to filling up at not far off £100 for the LS 400 then something in the brain does go "ping" even if the REAL economics make it viable.

There have been many threads on the forums about mpg - which considering the cost of buying a new Lexus pails into insignificance.But it is still very important to people even if the total economics do not add up.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I think a big driver towards adopting electric is the psychological effect of getting approximately 150 miles to a gallon equivalent. I do understand the real economics of initial cost outweighing the overall cost of owning such a vehicle. Do not underestimate the "psychological" effect of superior mpg. The cost of running a 4 litre petrol engine on a relatively cheap car changes the REAL costs of ownership, depending how much mileage is covered in a year. But when it comes to filling up at not far off £100 for the LS 400 then something in the brain does go "ping" even if the REAL economics make it viable.

There have been many threads on the forums about mpg - which considering the cost of buying a new Lexus pails into insignificance.But it is still very important to people even if the total economics do not add up.

Just my thoughts.

the main reason that I am very reluctant to buy another ICE car as a second car is the instant torque rather than any notion of economy. Electric cars do not make that much of an economic sense as yet, as it would take hundreds of thousand of miles to make any actuall profit ( plus we do not know what to expect regarding Battery longevity)

the instant torque though is very addictive ( and the quietness and avoiding petrol stations is an extra bonus obviously)

Unless something changes drastically, the future is electric - some may say that even the present is electric( as long as you don't buy a VAG car)

There is every chance that EVs turn out to be another Betamax scenario. They are just one of the options. There is every chance that Hydrogen fuel cell or synthetic fuels become the future. EVs might then only be a stopgap solution.

Looking at used EV values and GFVs on PCP agreements, the trade would appear to lack confidence in the future value of EVs. This may have something to do with the batteries or it may be down to other things. I do have a feeling that the motor industry is struggling to sell every EV it makes. I might be wrong but there does appear to be a lot of cars that are immediately available.

Great review @paulrnx

I agree about the drive - UX is surprisingly quick and is nimble too. Very good indeed.

Rear space and boot space is limited, but you’d know that prior to purchase and if it suits then great.

My disagreement - which shows the difference in perception - is on the interior. Compared to the NX I feel it looks and feels a bit cheap and basic, especially the door cards. I don’t think it would be a deal breaker as still better than the competition, but I found it a real disappointment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

There is every chance that EVs turn out to be another Betamax scenario. They are just one of the options. There is every chance that Hydrogen fuel cell or synthetic fuels become the future. EVs might then only be a stopgap solution.

Looking at used EV values and GFVs on PCP agreements, the trade would appear to lack confidence in the future value of EVs. This may have something to do with the batteries or it may be down to other things. I do have a feeling that the motor industry is struggling to sell every EV it makes. I might be wrong but there does appear to be a lot of cars that are immediately available.

Well Betamax was a technically far superior model to VHS. It was only when the rental companies were seduced by the VHS manufacturers that Sonys system was doomed. But that was a binary choice thats not quite analogous here. Your later statement is spot-on and I agree completely 👍

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

Great review @paulrnx

I agree about the drive - UX is surprisingly quick and is nimble too. Very good indeed.

Rear space and boot space is limited, but you’d know that prior to purchase and if it suits then great.

My disagreement - which shows the difference in perception - is on the interior. Compared to the NX I feel it looks and feels a bit cheap and basic, especially the door cards. I don’t think it would be a deal breaker as still better than the competition, but I found it a real disappointment.

Thanks 👍

I think my expectations, based on what I’d read in this part of the forum, were low and I expected it to be poor. I think what I then experienced was a feeling of it being much better than I expected. I’d happily find a way to live with a UX because it’s a genuinely fun car to drive. As great as my NX is it is not a fun car for me. That said, I’m keeping mine anyway. Whether we get a UX250H for my wife in the future is probably the more likely scenario.

7 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well Betamax was a technically far superior model to VHS. It was only when the rental companies were seduced by the VHS manufacturers that Sonys system was doomed. But that was a binary choice thats not quite analogous here. Your later statement is spot-on and I agree completely 👍

Thanks. By drawing an analogy with Betamax I meant it in terms of it being the one that was expected to be adopted but something else won the day for other reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Thanks. By drawing an analogy with Betamax I meant it in terms of it being the one that was expected to be adopted but something else won the day for other reasons.

I agree Paul, that other reason was money 💰💰💰

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I agree Paul, that other reason was money 💰💰💰

👍

And Betamax was so much better wasn’t it! More compact cassettes and much superior picture quality from what I remember.

• Like 3

I was seriously thinking of buying a UX250H, but as Barry14UK says I too found the all black interior very claustrophobic. The only option for a lighter headlining was to go with lighter coloured seats. Had a blue vehicle with black seats and a white / lighter headlining existed, I wouldn't have hesitated. Another consideration was the length of the warranty as I would have been buying second hand .. now Lexus / Toyota have the 10 year warranty scheme that is no longer an issue.

• Like 1

I had a UX loan car today whilst the IS was in for service. Very impressed but concerned about the size of the boot. Not for golf clubs but for the supermarket shop. How do owners get on with a weekly supermarket shop for four adults? Do you take out the floppy parcel shelf and false floor? Can it fit all your shopping bags in?

You say the 300e has a bigger boot. How so?

Plus the wife thinks it looks ugly at the front. But it’s only ugly when you look at it 🙃

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links