Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

Police say that the cameras are there to provide supporting evidence and each case would be assessed to see if a prosecution was warranted. If the vehicle in question was found to be fitted with a type approved (i.e. factory fitted) exhaust then no penalty.

That said the driver could still be persecuted for other related offences ....

Was always driving with BP or Shell 98 octane and had between 6.2 and 6.3 L each 100 km.

3 – 4 months ago started with regular 95 octane from same 2 BP and Shell and consume started climbing first to 6.4 and now 6.5 L 100 km. Drive same place and style like before. Only difference 98 to 95 octane. We have summer here all year so no big difference in temperature to explain the change in consume. Rain is something we wish to get to fill the lakes in the mountains, but it has been seldom the last many years.

Last month had hybrid Battery check = all OK and fine.

Today car was controlled ITV (same as MOT in UK). All perfect.

Nothing I can think of explaining the consume difference than going from 98 to 95 octane.

9 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Was always driving with BP or Shell 98 octane and had between 6.2 and 6.3 L each 100 km.

3 – 4 months ago started with regular 95 octane from same 2 BP and Shell and consume started climbing first to 6.4 and now 6.5 L 100 km. Drive same place and style like before. Only difference 98 to 95 octane. We have summer here all year so no big difference in temperature to explain the change in consume. Rain is something we wish to get to fill the lakes in the mountains, but it has been seldom the last many years.

Last month had hybrid battery check = all OK and fine.

Today car was controlled ITV (same as MOT in UK). All perfect.

Nothing I can think of explaining the consume difference than going from 98 to 95 octane.

How can you differentiate between 6.2 to 6.5L per 100km? Seems negligible.

I think for most people the benefits of high octane fuel is a better throttle response and overall smoother driving experience, I find that my cars have had zero engine problems running premium fuel and that's going back over 8 years of driving, another big plus .

7 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

How can you differentiate between 6.2 to 6.5L per 100km? Seems negligible.

I think for most people the benefits of high octane fuel is a better throttle response and overall smoother driving experience, I find that my cars have had zero engine problems running premium fuel and that's going back over 8 years of driving, another big plus .

I get between over 5% and up to 10% better fuel economy with E5 Super Unleaded over regularly E10. I do some 15,000 miles per annum and similar journeys and so have been able to see the changes in a like for like situation. Also E5 Super Unleaded does give smoother running and in the IS 300h better low throttle response on ICE. If the price differential between E5 and E10 is therefore on the 5% to 10% range I'll choose E5 Super Unleaded. 

All gasoline here is marked E5 if it is it or not? How would I know?

Several years with 98 octane gave 6.2 to 6.3 and changing to 95 octane in more than 10 fillings give 6.5 now.

How can I know?

I can see it.

Will start with 98 again.

3 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

All gasoline here is marked E5 if it is it or not? How would I know?

Several years with 98 octane gave 6.2 to 6.3 and changing to 95 octane in more than 10 fillings give 6.5 now.

How can I know?

I can see it.

There are two things working in the UK. The first is the octane rating - so 95 vs 97/98/99 for Super Unleaded - when all petrol was E5 in the UK then there was a definate % improvement in economy going Super Unleaded but in my experience for economy alone it wasn't worth the extra cost per litre over normal 95 octane. The second is E10 vs E5. There is definately a loss in economy going E10 over E5 but how much is the matter of much discussion. However, in my experience in the UK the difference in economy between E5 Super Unleaded 97/98/99 octane is definately more than 5% and up to 10% over E10 95 octane.

• Like 2

Anyway, back to rip-off petrol pricing

BP Ashington garage on the way to Bognor at the weekend

Orange light starts on again so I pulled into here to refuel

Forecourt Ablaze with E10 at 164.9p

Refill with E5 but at an eye watering  178.9p

How on earth do they justify a 14p difference eh !

Nevermind, it's only money   £130.24 to fill-up

Malc

Was in Costco yesterday, had to take the opportunity - 43.3L @ £1.599/L for E5.

Included the usual Costso trolley load of expense but the petrol is too good to turn down

• Like 2

https://news.sky.com/story/the-future-of-energy-may-lie-with-hydrogen-but-the-journey-to-get-there-wont-be-easy-12732319

Posting this as I found it quite interesting. Given the thread has already gone down this particular rabbit hole, it seems relevant.

Interesting article.

I can see it working for things like energy storage and trains, but the part that stuck out to me, in the context of this forum, is this:

"Something similar has already happened with cars. Back in the 1970s and 80s, many saw hydrogen as the answer for greening automobiles. jack Nicholson wowed onlookers in the 1970s with a car fuelled by what we would today call "green hydrogen" (see, I told you none of this is very new).

But in the intervening period Battery technology has improved so dramatically that most experts now agree that batteries have won that race."

Also, Engineering Explained has a good video on YouTube explaining why hydrogen won't work for a sports car (specifically a RC-F):

As you can see from what the video suggests, hydrogen isn't looking promising for all vehicle applications.

• Sad 1

Meanwhile…

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11375653/Energy-bills-putting-drivers-going-electric.html

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11373037/Electric-car-owners-face-taxation-2025.html

Despite the slightly sensationalist headline, the article does note that charging at home is (currently) about half the price of petrol for a standard car. Charging at a public charger on the other hand is about the same cost now.

41 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Meanwhile…

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11375653/Energy-bills-putting-drivers-going-electric.html

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11373037/Electric-car-owners-face-taxation-2025.html

Despite the slightly sensationalist headline, the article does note that charging at home is (currently) about half the price of petrol for a standard car. Charging at a public charger on the other hand is about the same cost now.

It really is a pity the general public still look at EVs as just a way of saving money, and the press and media feeding the view.

Still it makes headlines to sell papers*.

*and click bait on the internet

• Like 1

That Jason fella explaining the negatively of hydrogen power for cars. Blimey I've been watching his videos for a laugh. He certainly knows how to bamboozle with figures with that p taking grin he has. I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:35 PM, First_Lexus said:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-future-of-energy-may-lie-with-hydrogen-but-the-journey-to-get-there-wont-be-easy-12732319

Posting this as I found it quite interesting. Given the thread has already gone down this particular rabbit hole, it seems relevant.

The problem making green hydrogen is price. That is something that will turn every politician against it as the holy grail for politicians is to get more profit. A little old lady asked a politician in Denmark (voting day was yesterday) about what was the most important today and got the usual answers for older people: better hospitals and care homes. The little old lady said: what good is more hospitals and the rest that interest you when we are all going to drown in melting glaciers and die of the pollution you politicians have talked about a long time and done exactly nothing about, we need a world worth living in for our children and their children.

Electric powered cars, trucks, trains, boats mean needing batteries in a quantity that nobody has ever thought about and batteries do not last forever and materials to make batteries will get expensive.

Hydrogen is possible to make without pollution and if it cost more and let the world and all on it live then only stupid people believe it is expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Meanwhile…

It was never in doubt that EVs would be taxed - Governments and the WEF have the western world on its fingertips - Net Zero is not about the climate but ones wealth, in 2030 the government don’t want you to drive (or own anything as they say) - period, nobody will be able to afford EVs - anyone who thinks they are beneficial for the environment needs to stop listening to experts paid off by third parties and they don’t want you to fly either - watch all the smaller airports between now and 2030 suddenly close, already happening - there is so much happening but questions not getting asked or allowed getting asked or to be precise people are not aware of anything untoward at all because everything they read is from 'official' sources.

I see Rishi (voted in by Rishi) is attending the Cop27 Climate summit after all, of course he is - he needs a further briefing from the WEF hierarchy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That Jason fella explaining the negatively of hydrogen power for cars. Blimey I've been watching his videos for a laugh. He certainly knows how to bamboozle with figures with that p taking grin he has. I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. 

Not sure how you reached that conclusion considering he shows exactly how it works out for the specific example he used, which is the RC-F?  Also, if you accept that he knows his numbers and engineering - highly likely if you look at his channel as a whole - then the answer kind of speaks for itself?

• Like 1

Just filled the CT with 98 BP E5. Was told I had 599km left in tank. Drove uphill 5.7km and was told I have 584km left in tank. 15km fuel for driving 5.7km. Down again to where we live another 5.5km and now I have 580km left in tank. 4km fuel for driving 5.5km.

If I only drive downhill it will be possible to have consumption like Lexus claim in the ads.

image.thumb.png.b9da9d812cd5454a556c79db0533dcba.png

• Haha 1

Shahpor I've been watching him for a couple of years. Yes he's a clever fella and he knows how to distort facts. Yes he used the RC-f as an example because its that cars engine that Yamaha help design and make it run on hydrogen. Using the RC-f was his flawed mistake. Because that ki d of car isn't suitable for hydrogen power. However the GS-f could well be. The Toyota Mirai can do around 350 miles on its two tanks of hydrogen. I'm sure those same tanks could be utilised in the GS-f.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links