Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

42 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

Why do they put E5 on the pump then?  I thought E5 was standard petrol with 5% Ethanol and E10 10% Ethanol, that’s the labelling regs as far as I know.

E5 is up to 5% Ethanol (could be zero as stated above), same for E10 - up to 10%.

Esso

Screenshot_20220708-222410.png

Shell - contains up to 5% bio ethanol maximum.

Once Governments found a Goose that laided golden eggs <fuel tax> they have been free to increase them, knowing the vast majority will continue driving because we don't have another choice, and they can claim they are being Green to boot. - cunning eh

12 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

I thought E5 was standard petrol with 5% Ethanol

nope .  it's UP TO 5% ethanol  ..  and somewhere there's a chart / calculation that tells one the better mpg achieved with a lower ethanol content too  ( so far as I remember someone saying here somewhere )  .  just to make you feel better filling up with more expensive fuel no doubt

ANYWAY  EVERYONE

Is there a rational theory why it's bad for the planet .......... and not Green, using irreplaceable ( in our lifetime ) fossil fuels  ?

Thanks

Malc

My car is far more responsive when I use Shell E5, the economy isn’t too bad either but it’s not just that the engine seems to run so much better and it sails through MOTs - E10 is watered down pish, that governments have hoodwinked people to get to seemingly break their cars down and I am not pitting that into a car.

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Is there a rational theory why it's bad for the planet .......... and not Green, using irreplaceable ( in our lifetime ) fossil fuels  ?

Based on the 5-minute spreadsheet I done it’s entirely possible we won’t even have enough fossil fuels to keep mining batteries in 2040 - unless these amazing experts can think of ways to grow batteries from recycling food waste. EVs are just another government scam of which people have no say in the matter

* I added years 2031 to 2039 and increased sales to 10% year on year - and I reduced the amount of batteries used per vehicle from 5000 to 3000, I am sure the boffins can do that, even still the figures I am seeing look a bit difficult to express.

The total amount of batteries needed to make 347066666 EVs between 2031 to 2039 comes up as 964525470783

So between 2023 - 2039  > 1604169584541 batteries.

The bucket of this 9800  can do 80 Tonnes, wonder how many buckets will be needed...🤔

liebherr-R9800.jpg

I have one to put together actually, it will go on the top of my showcase cabinet as its way too big to go anywhere else

RDpFLiU.jpg

• Like 2

I believe the UK is about to start to think about utilising the oil reserves of the UK off the Falklands in the forseeable

AND of course there's the enormity of the undersea oil reserves ( and gas maybe ) off Brazil which would possibly thrust Brazil into the super league of nations, taking them one above the UK in economic global ranking

So then,   what's the reasoning behind the Green stance on these irreplaceable fossil fuels not being used I wonder 

The huge holes created under the Atlantic Ocean can be filled with sea water then created to reduce universal global flooding maybe ?  Or is it global warming we're needing to worry about ?  OR BOTH perhaps  !

I don't know, does anyone really know ?

Malc

24 minutes ago, Malc said:

I believe the UK is about to start to think about utilising the oil reserves of the UK off the Falklands in the forseeable

AND of course there's the enormity of the undersea oil reserves ( and gas maybe ) off Brazil which would possibly thrust Brazil into the super league of nations, taking them one above the UK in economic global ranking

So then,   what's the reasoning behind the Green stance on these irreplaceable fossil fuels not being used I wonder 

The huge holes created under the Atlantic Ocean can be filled with sea water then created to reduce universal global flooding maybe ?  Or is it global warming we're needing to worry about ?  OR BOTH perhaps  !

I don't know, does anyone really know ?

Malc

If there was treasure chests under said holes in the Atlantic Ocean I am sure the governments would be interested. 🙄

The one advantage of batteries over hydrogen is that you can get free energy from the Sun or wind turbines. I'm guessing that hydrogen is the new red diesel; for commercial vehicles only.

Except, you can buy your own hydrogen generator for under £8,000!!!

Don't know how efficient it is. I've read that it takes a LOT of energy to generate hydrogen, though I also know you can drop a Battery into some water and produce hydrogen bubbles.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:02 PM, Moleman said:

E5 is up to 5% Ethanol (could be zero as stated above), same for E10 - up to 10%.

That makes sense 😁 ……I actually thought it was a legal requirement for the refineries to provide 5% and 10%….didn’t realise it was optional.

The entire weekend has been eerily quiet!!!!!!!!

Presumably, everyone on my street no longer has any energy to do anything on the weekend because they've been living off bread sandwiches.

Time for the yellow vests and wood stoves!!!

I found this quite interesting. A bit of a shame he drifted into ‘evangelical’ language towards the end, but even so. 

Having driven an EV in the past week (Hyundai IONIC5) I’m not sure I agree that I prefer it. It’s different, it made me smile when pulling away, but I was glad to get back into my RX. Whether that was down to the quality, the size or the fuel used I really don’t know!

Best place as any to post this energy thought exercise especially as we're expecting 52p per kWh electricity soon. Ive been looking at solar panels options for our new build, and ran into the absurd new SEG tariffs that replace FiT. Now FiT was never going to last, it was mostly to get the solar industry going, but the new SEG scheme is laughable:

You can be paid anywhere from 1.5 to currently a maximum of 12p per kWh you export to the grid. Keep in mind we're averaging 28p per kWh used (without taxes, levies,...etc.).

If that imbalance wasn't enough, your import and export tabs are kept separate. So even if you generate all your electricity consumption for the day, just at the wrong time, you'll still be paying for electricity at the ridiculously inflated rates.

Let me give you an example: You're out and about for an hour, it's sunny and you're gathering whatever you need for you upcoming DIY, car maintenance...etc. project. Meanwhile your system has produced 3kWh, your home used about 0.5kWh, and it exported 2.5kWh at 5p/kWh (current SEG average). Now you're back, you get out your power tools and you're using more power than your system can generate. Let's say you use 5.5kWh to zero out the maths. 3kWh from the solar system, and 2.5kWh back from the grid. You're now paying for that 2.5kWh at 28p/kWh even though you generated an equivalent amount an hour ago and were paid 5p/kWh. Now there has to be some monetary charge for that storage and flexibility admittedly, but do you think that is worth 23p/kWh and soon more?

Only way around it is to have Battery storage/tesla powerwall. Even with those the best SEG tariff will currently pay 12p/kWh for excess you can't store. That's still a ridiculous spread.

Thoughts.

What I am struggling to understand is you see TV advertisements from energy suppliers blowing their trumpet for 100% renewable energy.

I cannot see how this claim can be completely true given that we have a National Grid and electricity going on the grid is also generated from other non renewable means e.g. gas, oil or nuclear.  

Looking at the definition below how can they justify another large increase in electricity prices unless the wholesale price of the sunlight and wind have increased dramatically if, as claimed, you receive only a 100% renewable supply.

renewable energy

noun
  1. energy from a source that is not depleted when used, such as wind or solar power.
    "the environmental benefits of renewable energy"

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

What I am struggling to understand is you see TV advertisements from energy suppliers blowing their trumpet for 100% renewable energy.

I cannot see how this claim can be completely true given that we have a National Grid and electricity going on the grid is also generated from other non renewable means e.g. gas, oil or nuclear.  

Looking at the definition below how can they justify another large increase in electricity prices unless the wholesale price of the sunlight and wind have increased dramatically if, as claimed, you receive only a 100% renewable supply.

renewable energy

noun
  1. energy from a source that is not depleted when used, such as wind or solar power.

Because it is not true. They buy and use energy from the national grid and pay an offset to use the statement 100% renewable. It is stated in the very small print if you look closely enough.

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

renewable energy

noun

Given that only 40% of our electricity in the UK is generated by gas, the price per kWh electricity should not have gone up this much. The reason it has is a stupid agreement between the uk govt. and the renewable generator companies that allow them to charge fixed market prices (which are set by gas) through to 2037. So they are making out like bandits. Kwasai Karteng is currently in negotiations with them to break this ridiculous deal.

• Like 1

Can anybody please explain to me in simplistic terms WHY we shouldn't be using inexpensive non-renewable fuels, like oil and gas   ??

As I said a while ago, UK is exploring extracting it's immense and captive oil ( and gas? )  reserves off the Falklands ............. and Brazil has just about as much undersea fossil fuels too that have ever ever been extracted or ever likely to be extracted commercially EVER anywhere in the world ......  making Brazil one-cut above the UK in Global Wealth terms .  no.5 or 6 is it ?

Just what is the problem using non-renewable fossil fuels ?

Does anyone have the answer ?  Keep it simple please :wink3:

Thank you

Malc

18 minutes ago, Malc said:

Keep it simple please

Climate change is the widely held belief

Not really answering your question but this link explains why the UK doesn't use it's own resources and why it imports so much oil and gas.

https://oeuk.org.uk/offshore-energies-uk-oeuk-why-is-the-uk-exporting-gas-when-we-are-short-supply/

• Like 2

What really irritates me, is that when the energy ‘price cap’ was first announced the idea was for it to balance protection for consumers with protection for energy companies.

As far as I can see it isn’t balancing anything any more - the only consideration is protecting energy companies. Given the number that went out of business over the last 12-18 months, I do (sort of) understand that…but then again, it’s less of a ‘cap’ now and feels like more of a ‘target.’

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Not really answering your question but this link explains why the UK doesn't use it's own resources and why it imports so much oil and gas.

https://oeuk.org.uk/offshore-energies-uk-oeuk-why-is-the-uk-exporting-gas-when-we-are-short-supply/

An interesting article Peter. We tend to overlook the inter-connectivity that exists in all Global economic activity, but it is when a Bully chooses to withdraw its co-operation, that the Dominoes start to fall. Item 5 was an eye opener of me. Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

https://www.ft.com/content/92323f6f-1b25-4cf2-a73f-6b9c0cf12f82

“Customers faced with high bills are paying too much because the government failed to reform the market,..In terms of solutions,... the price of electricity should be tied to the cost of production, rather than always to the marginal cost of gas, which had enabled many renewable producers to make “supernormal profits” linked to the higher price of gas while their own costs “haven’t changed one iota”.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, Malc said:

Can anybody please explain to me in simplistic terms WHY we shouldn't be using inexpensive non-renewable fuels, like oil and gas   ??

As I said a while ago, UK is exploring extracting it's immense and captive oil ( and gas? )  reserves off the Falklands ............. and Brazil has just about as much undersea fossil fuels too that have ever ever been extracted or ever likely to be extracted commercially EVER anywhere in the world ......  making Brazil one-cut above the UK in Global Wealth terms .  no.5 or 6 is it ?

Just what is the problem using non-renewable fossil fuels ?

Does anyone have the answer ?  Keep it simple please :wink3:

Thank you

Malc

The only thing I can think of is that we need to export them. A lot of oil exporting nations have nuclear power stations for the same reason..

On 8/28/2022 at 11:43 AM, First_Lexus said:

What really irritates me, is that when the energy ‘price cap’ was first announced the idea was for it to balance protection for consumers with protection for energy companies.

As far as I can see it isn’t balancing anything any more - the only consideration is protecting energy companies. Given the number that went out of business over the last 12-18 months, I do (sort of) understand that…but then again, it’s less of a ‘cap’ now and feels like more of a ‘target.’

The price cap was to stop energy suppliers from subsidising cheap tariffs with more expensive ones. That's why the type 1 smart meters go dead if you switch supplier. They've just pulled the same trick with insurance, banning companies from offering better deals to new customers.

There's no cap for commercial businesses. Apparently, some firms are being refused a renewal of their contracts. Small businesses are being taken to the wood-shed. It's total carnage.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, NemesisUK said:

BUT BY WHOM AND IS IT A REALISTIC BELIEF DO YOU THINK .  REALLY  ......... ???

There's so much oil and gas in " reserve " off the Falklands and Brazil alone to feed the world with necessary heating and propulsion needs probably for ever mankind's going to exist .........

so then, why don't they, whoever they might be , just overcome the propulsion issue with cars buses trucks ships etc and simply fit proper " catalytic converters " whatever to wash the emissions ....  likewise coal powered power stations especially coz these are coming on-stream at a huge rate each and every day in Asia ......  is it about 3 a day brand new coal powered stations I've been reading recently  .....  the western  car emission issue is totally insignificant to pollution I'm reading too  :unsure:

and as I've said here before, Chernobyl, Fukishuma ? and now the Ukraine nuclear bomb about to be " hit " and spread radiation not just across Ukraine and bits of Europe but also significantly great swathes of Russia too ..........  won't these acts of " science " cause rather greater Climate Change ( and death and destruction ) issues  than a few sodding Ls400 V8s pumping out a few slightly noxious fumes 

Get-A-Grip everyone  .....  we can all keep warm in the winter for a very tiny cost if the Govts and Oil Giants of the world got their acts together for the benefit of Society   .  AND  .  their respective balance sheets too I'm thinking

Malc

2 hours ago, flotsam said:

There's no cap for commercial businesses. Apparently, some firms are being refused a renewal of their contracts. Small businesses are being taken to the wood-shed. It's total carnage.

Indeed. There's a Chinese restaurant that recently got hit with a £10k electricity bill. The owner's trying to reduce his costs and said that he can't turn all the lights off, but he can dim sum.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Malc said:

BUT BY WHOM AND IS IT A REALISTIC BELIEF DO YOU THINK .  REALLY  ......... ???

There's so much oil and gas in " reserve " off the Falklands and Brazil alone to feed the world with necessary heating and propulsion needs probably for ever mankind's going to exist .........

so then, why don't they, whoever they might be , just overcome the propulsion issue with cars buses trucks ships etc and simply fit proper " catalytic converters " whatever to wash the emissions ....  likewise coal powered power stations especially coz these are coming on-stream at a huge rate each and every day in Asia ......  is it about 3 a day brand new coal powered stations I've been reading recently  .....  the western  car emission issue is totally insignificant to pollution I'm reading too  :unsure:

and as I've said here before, Chernobyl, Fukishuma ? and now the Ukraine nuclear bomb about to be " hit " and spread radiation not just across Ukraine and bits of Europe but also significantly great swathes of Russia too ..........  won't these acts of " science " cause rather greater Climate Change ( and death and destruction ) issues  than a few sodding Ls400 V8s pumping out a few slightly noxious fumes 

Get-A-Grip everyone  .....  we can all keep warm in the winter for a very tiny cost if the Govts and Oil Giants of the world got their acts together for the benefit of Society   .  AND  .  their respective balance sheets too I'm thinking

Malc

Do you have children and even grandchildren Malc?

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

Do you have children and even grandchildren Malc?

Lots thank you  ...  I also quite remember as a young lad there never was house " central heating " apart from the kitchen coke boiler feeding the hot water tank in the bathroom upstairs . such luxury ..... and waking up in the morning scraping the ice off the inside of my bedroom window ..  wearing plenty of jumpers etc .....  in London SE15 at that time 

Just use it all now sensibly, there's enough to last mankind forever methinks with creating and using renewables too 

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links