Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinions - Can this puncture be repaired?

Hi all

Will be going to the tyre place tomorrow to try and sort a puncture out, looking at where the nail has gone in I'm thinking it may be too close to edge of tyre to repair.

Any opinions on attached image?

Thanks 🙂

IMG_20211016_143945.jpg

It appears that British Standards stipulate that repairs can only be carried out within 3/4 of the tread area.  Otherwise it can be deemed too close to the sidewall.

Obviously your tyre dealer with have an opinion, but here’s what KwickFit has to say:

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-repair

Or do as Brian has just suggested.  🙂

Thanks all, all the tyres are Bridgestones so seemed decent but not sure of the age of this particular one as came with the car and only owned car for about a year, will see what they say.

I've liked Goodyear efficientgrip in the past so that could be a option.

• Like 1

I have had similar punctures close to the sidewall plugged, with the plugs claimed to be permanent.  Even so I preferred to consider the repairs to be provisional pending the availability of a new tyre (or pair thereof).  But, as others have said, you seriously need to change the tyre in any case.

19 hours ago, corpjones said:

Hi all

Will be going to the tyre place tomorrow to try and sort a puncture out, looking at where the nail has gone in I'm thinking it may be too close to edge of tyre to repair.

Any opinions on attached image?

Thanks 🙂

IMG_20211016_143945.jpg

Should have put a trigger warning on that pic!  Unable to see what the problem was with the state of the tyre, I pressed enlarge (whilst at the breakfast table) and now feeling distinctly queasy!  Does anyone know what causes those little splits in the rubber on the horizontal treads near the outer?  I am guessing it might be age related.  I would like to know how old the offending tyre is 🙂

A very good point, not only is tread depth and correct tyre pressure monitoring essential but also the physical condition of the tyres, uneven tread wear patterns can indicate tracking errors or geometry misalignment plus under or over inflation.

Cuts, bulges and punctures are not always obvious particularly on the rear sidewalls unless you get down close and personal.

Tyre age is also important as contaminants on the road, for example diesel spills and the effects of UV can cause damage such as cracking and crumbling of the tyre. One place often missed is cracking in the grooves between the treads.

Tyres do have a finite life both in terms of tread depth and age, I think most manufacturers recommend replacement around 8 years regardless of the remaining tread.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links