Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

11 hours ago, Malc said:

'Im not one for moaning BUT I'm happy to make constructive comment

Malc

So Malc, you're effectively moaning about people who moan rather than constructively comment? 😅

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Reminds me of that old one, "what's a hormone? Answer : the noise a prostitutes makes 😎

Oldie (indeed positively ancient) but still a goodie … 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Deep breath…

- The Government, the Opposition and all politicians;

- Biased news media (in either direction);

- The loss of professional standards (regardless of profession or industry). Step forward C4’s Krishnan Guru-Murthy and BBC’s Martine Croxall;

- EV users on motorways who coast along at 50-60 mph (I assume to conserve range) meaning that lorries have to pull into lane two, causing congestion. Having completed 250 miles on the M4 in the last two days, this is becoming a very common issue;

- Drivers who park in disabled bays without either having (or displaying) a blue badge. This also seems to be becoming far more frequent, especially in private car parks (supermarkets, hotels etc) where there is no enforcement;

- People who watch or listen to content in public on speaker rather than using headphones. I was on the train into London earlier in the week and there was not just one incident of this. Amazingly, a chap was doing the same over breakfast in the hotel this morning (the staff asked him to mute it, he signed loudly and left. Idiot).

In general terms, society seems to be losing the art of social awareness. Too many people seem to think that the (mostly unwritten) rules of behavioural etiquette don’t apply to them. Back in the day we’d have called them ‘oiks.’ 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Deep breath…

- The Government, the Opposition and all politicians;

- Biased news media (in either direction);

- The loss of professional standards (regardless of profession or industry). Step forward C4’s Krishnan Guru-Murthy and BBC’s Martine Croxall;

- EV users on motorways who coast along at 50-60 mph (I assume to conserve range) meaning that lorries have to pull into lane two, causing congestion. Having completed 250 miles on the M4 in the last two days, this is becoming a very common issue;

- Drivers who park in disabled bays without either having (or displaying) a blue badge. This also seems to be becoming far more frequent, especially in private car parks (supermarkets, hotels etc) where there is no enforcement;

- People who watch or listen to content in public on speaker rather than using headphones. I was on the train into London earlier in the week and there was not just one incident of this. Amazingly, a chap was doing the same over breakfast in the hotel this morning (the staff asked him to mute it, he signed loudly and left. Idiot).

In general terms, society seems to be losing the art of social awareness. Too many people seem to think that the (mostly unwritten) rules of behavioural etiquette don’t apply to them. Back in the day we’d have called them ‘oiks.’ 

Ed I am minded of the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury who in 1843 wrote, 

We are bringing forth a fearful multitude of untutored savages… [boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits…[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody…the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly.”

Twas ever thus 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Ed I am minded of the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury who in 1843 wrote, 

We are bringing forth a fearful multitude of untutored savages… [boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits…[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody…the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly.”

Twas ever thus 😎

You've obviously been to Castleford, Phil.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

- EV users on motorways who coast along at 50-60 mph (I presume to conserve range)….

I‘ve noticed this more and more, and I reckon that they are consciously trying to broadcast their green credentials to other road users as much as attempting to conserve enough range to get home or wherever else they are going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Twas ever thus 😎

You are right about that, Phil.  

Apparently a Babylonian clay vase from 3000 B.C. bears an inscription to the effect that “Youths of today are rotten to the soul.  They are evil and lazy and cannot compare with the youths of the past.  They are incapable of keeping up the standards of our civilization”.   I reckon the thought might be worth reproducing on a coffee mug.

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I‘ve noticed this more and more, and I reckon that they are consciously trying to broadcast their green credentials to other road users as much as attempting to conserve enough range to get home or wherever else they are going.

Just wait till the UK government (or the so called local authorities) decide to introduce EV only lanes on our motorways and dual carriage ways.  This has happened in California and the green lanes are paralised by the hypermiler drivers hogging the lanes with the EV acceleration junkies lane hoping to get in front of them.

13 hours ago, Rabbers said:

They are trying to make it to the next Service Station charging point ( that used to be a Blue Badge Disabled Parking bay - before the 'blue' turned 'green'. )

:angry:

14 hours ago, Rabbers said:

You are right about that, Phil.  

Apparently a Babylonian clay vase from 3000 B.C. bears an inscription to the effect that “Youths of today are rotten to the soul.  They are evil and lazy and cannot compare with the youths of the past.  They are incapable of keeping up the standards of our civilization”.   I reckon the thought might be worth reproducing on a coffee mug.

Socrates also commented, 

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
A far cry from Spartas mothers whose mantra was simple - Before you or on it. 😐

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Socrates also commented, ……

No doubt Socrates knew of what he spoke, but in his case I would tend to sympathise with the kids he habitually accosted in the street expecting answers to his funny questions.  

On 8/29/2022 at 7:42 AM, Phil xxkr said:

Reminds me of that old one, "what's a hormone? Answer : the noise a prostitutes makes 😎

And.... how do you make a hormone? Don't pay her.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

I can't believe that no-one has had anything to moan about since October, so I'll add my moan.

I have a friend coming to visit with their child, who would like to go to Chessington World of Adventures. I remembered that Kellogs do a 2 for one offer on tickets, so I said leave it to me to sort them out, and duly bought a packet of cornflakes.

Armed with my discount voucher I went to the Chessington website and saw that tickets were £64 if you bought them on the day, or £33 if you bought them online, in advance. Great I thought, that means I'll be able to order one ticket for £33 and get the other one for free with the voucher.

No, no no, it seems it doesn't work like that. To benefit from the voucher offer you can't buy the ticket at the online price, and have to  pay the full on the day price, even though you're ordering online and in advance. As such, instead of paying £33 for one ticket and getting one free, you have to pay £64 for one ticket to get the free one.

So, total saving from the voucher is £2 compared to just buying non discounted tickets online. Factor in the cost of the cornflakes and you're a pound down on the deal.

12 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

you're a pound down on the deal.

More than a pound down I would say, as you have to factor in your time (which is not free) to find out that you have not saved anything.

Good to see this moan channel woken up.

My mona of the day would be working for a company where the first thing I got asked today is 'Do we have a process to know what the process is to be able to enage a 3rd party technician'.  In the olden days it was called ask around and if no one has an answer then you either find someone who can make an executive decision or have the b*lls to make your own decision. Death by process, maybe that should be the title of one of the books I am going to write when I retire (along with a few other books bemoaning the naffing waste of  time that consumes small companies who are trying to be BSI/ISO compliant - now that's a now money tree if you can get a job there )

• Like 2

I'm working close to Duxford today and those magnificent men are up in the skies in their flying machines. My moan is that I'd rather be outside watching them than stuck in an office interrogating IT systems. You really can't beat the sound of multiple Merlins.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

(along with a few other books bemoaning the naffing waste of  time that consumes small companies who are trying to be BSI/ISO compliant - now that's a now money tree if you can get a job there )

I am convinced that all these various compliance schemes are simply so that we can claim to be an entrepreneurial society, where anyone can set up in business for themselves, whilst making it increasingly difficulct for those with limited resources,  in order to protect the interests of large corporations, who can afford the hassle and beaurocracy.

18 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

More than a pound down I would say, as you have to factor in your time (which is not free) to find out that you have not saved anything.

Very true, and I don't even like Cornflakes. I'd have binned them if I was saving £30 on the deal, but now feel obliged to eat them, so have to factor in the emotional cost of every grudging mouthful as well.

• Haha 3

I am from the telex age and seen the introduction of the fax. no mobile no internet. no crm systems, no meetings about meetings, no consultants, no large It system that needs to be fed with daily input and seems to controls the entire company. Just a boss that screamed at you when you did something wrong. Companies were profitable and growing in those days? where is the progress? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links