Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best tape or stick pads for Number Plates?

agent_dess

Sticky Velcro pads? Given their inability to hold a relatively light USB interface to the underside of my desk, I'd steer well clear of that! Whatever Lexus Leicester stick on the back of their numberplates appears to work very well (not the most helpful reply I'm afraid). More helpful advice may be held within this thread: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1604447

• Like 1

Hi ,the sticky pads don't always work ,usually because the surfaces have to be really clean I have had problems in the past with cars hastily prepared by dealers they like to replace plates .I know this sounds drastic but I have used 'no nails 'adhesive they won't come offf again , if you do really need to remove them pour boiling water between the plate and the bumper

Dave

Last plate I changed the original had been stuck on with a silicon “bath sealant” stuff….and it took the equivalent effort of a four foot shifter bar to remove it!

I just use security screws made for the job.

why not just fix the new plate over the existing old one ?   that will cover up the screw heads too of course  .......  I think you may be " overthinking " the job in hand tho' :unsure:

Malc

I use a heavy duty double sided tape. Clean the back of the plate and bumper with a solvent. Then use a hairdryer (without the wife's permission) to warm up both surfaces to help the glue get stickier. Then fit up.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Malc said:

why not just fix the new plate over the existing old one ?   that will cover up the screw heads too of course  .......  I think you may be " overthinking " the job in hand tho' :unsure:

Malc

Going screw-less for a clean look

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use the standard 3mm sticky pads from Halfords and it's worked very well over the years. Never had a plate off. I was thinking of magnets so when I go to shows I can go plate less (at least on the front) without any hassle, but I haven't tested it yet.

• Like 1

3M VHB - there are multiple different products depending on whether you are sticking against plastic or the metal painted bodywork etc. but the general purpose ones will be fine.

3M don't recommend you use first apply them below 12 deg and ideally 20+ deg to get the best bond.

• Like 1

Gorilla double sided clear tape / pads. Exceptional adhesive properties and can be removed easily when the plate is separated from the body / plate holder. The normal double sided number plate tape / pads separate when a plate is removed and leaves adhesive on both plate and body and needs considerable effort to remove. 

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links