Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sometimes not having the same choice as the US is a good thing

ColinBarber

I take it this is an LX.  I once saw an earlier generation one with Russian plates in a motel car park in Germany. Its driver, like the car itself, was appropriately huge and unsmiling and dressed in black.  It was parked sideways across two spaces, presumably so that it could drive off more easily, not that anyone dared to park nearby. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.64dfe60cc068005d4ecf38bb7e28f727.png

Only in America. Firstly they seem to have different aesthetics. This thing could be the new delivery vehicle for the USPS. 165.000 of them to be built by Oshkosh a military vehicle company. Secondly they don't seem to care one bit about fuel consumption, environment. The above is designed with a petrol-engine that averages 8.6mpg. (!!)

3 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Only in America. Firstly they seem to have different aesthetics. This thing could be the new delivery vehicle for the USPS. 165.000 of them to be built by Oshkosh a military vehicle company. Secondly they don't seem to care one bit about fuel consumption, environment. The above is designed with a petrol-engine that averages 8.6mpg. (!!)

I thought some of those were going to be electric and the rest low emission 🤔

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35604138/usps-oshkosh-defense-new-mail-trucks/

25 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I still like how ecomentalists straight away go into rage mode. So they buy new trucks which will improve MPG by 0.4 across the fleet. Now MPG being a little bit stupid measurement when it comes to averaging fleet fuel consumption, it may actually be 5% more environmentally friendly than current lot and they are made at affordable price. Potentially using EV trucks in most build-up areas and using petrol trucks in more rural areas (as you can imagine in US there is loads of remote areas to deliver to). Postal service doing what it can based on their reasonable business earnings and profit made a weighted decision to go with this, rather than going with some new ridiculous EVs which would drive their costs-up and make them unprofitable or increase the delivery costs 10 times. That is just good business sense.

What ecomentalists have to say? No they not saying that maybe some vehicles could be hybrid, or diesel/hybrid or trying to understand issue at all, they have not seen the cost of EV alternative, they have not bothered to calculate the impact of costs, they like entitled 5 years old "want it NOW" - "ecomentalists and <...> have called on the EPA to block the Postal Service from moving forward with what they described as a poorly thought-out purchase that would harm communities across the country (by reducing pollution not as fast as we desire and by not significantly increasing the cost for thos communities to use the services). They asked the EPA to refer the dispute to the White House Council on Environmental Quality, which mediates disagreements between federal agencies over actions affecting the environment and public health."

Biden the incompetent demented guy he is obviously went ahead with it and supported the motion... (just note I would have voted Biden over Trump if I were american, but it is typical case of choosing least bad candidate - neither was good). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Biden the incompetent demented guy he is obviously went ahead with it and supported the motion... (just note I would have voted Biden over Trump if I were american, but it is typical case of choosing least bad candidate - neither was good). 

I think we will face a similar situation in this country if an election is called.

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Amuricans certainly have different taste for car style. I sort of understand it for post or military vehicles (function over style), but some of their cars are really ugly. Sorry to say, but I find ES to be distinctively amurican as well "so called loaf on the wheels", sure it isn't ugliest car, but it is distinctively non-European like GS/IS was.

Current generation is best looking ES yet, but in the past they really looked horrible and in principle similar to what americans are familiar with (bloated, not sculped shapes):

Lexus ES300 -- 09-12-2009.jpgLexus ES 350 Royal Ruby Red Metallic.jpg220px-96-97_Ford_Taurus_.jpg2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT front 3.27.18.jpg

4 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I think we will face a similar situation in this country if an election is called.

Most certainly... and that is the case in other countries as well. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile here in Europe we are finding out that eco driven politics has resulted in us being unable to meet our own demand for essential hydrocarbon fuels and subsidiary products. Exploration and production canned because the green lobby say we must do without it to save the planet. Now Russia pull all the strings for European energy supplies, just where Putin wants us. We simply can’t stop using oil and gas, there’s no viable alternative yet, so we import it at greater cost to the environment from unregulated countries who couldn’t care less about pollution. Sorry it’s a bit off topic but it doesn’t make any sense at all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Seem vaguely familiar to USA ice cream vans of the 50's and 60's 🤔

23 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I still like how ecomentalists straight away go into rage mode. So they buy new trucks which will improve MPG by 0.4 across the fleet. Now MPG being a little bit stupid measurement when it comes to averaging fleet fuel consumption, it may actually be 5% more environmentally friendly than current lot and they are made at affordable price. Potentially using EV trucks in most build-up areas and using petrol trucks in more rural areas (as you can imagine in US there is loads of remote areas to deliver to). Postal service doing what it can based on their reasonable business earnings and profit made a weighted decision to go with this, rather than going with some new ridiculous EVs which would drive their costs-up and make them unprofitable or increase the delivery costs 10 times. That is just good business sense.

What ecomentalists have to say? No they not saying that maybe some vehicles could be hybrid, or diesel/hybrid or trying to understand issue at all, they have not seen the cost of EV alternative, they have not bothered to calculate the impact of costs, they like entitled 5 years old "want it NOW" - "ecomentalists and <...> have called on the EPA to block the Postal Service from moving forward with what they described as a poorly thought-out purchase that would harm communities across the country (by reducing pollution not as fast as we desire and by not significantly increasing the cost for thos communities to use the services). They asked the EPA to refer the dispute to the White House Council on Environmental Quality, which mediates disagreements between federal agencies over actions affecting the environment and public health."

Until I read your last line I was with you Linas ever step of the way 😎

4 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Until I read your last line I was with you Linas ever step of the way 😎

And that is fine, I am just "apolitical", I felt Trump was simply not suitable for the office and that is all, I don't care if he is republican or democrat. And despite Biden is not suitable for the office either, Trump is just less suitable. 

26 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

And that is fine, I am just "apolitical", I felt Trump was simply not suitable for the office and that is all, I don't care if he is republican or democrat. And despite Biden is not suitable for the office either, Trump is just less suitable. 

Yes Linas, you "felt" the very thing you and I violently agree on, the need to use logic and evidence and not emotions 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derant said:

I actually like it….but I have no idea why!!!

I don’t know about actively liking it, but if the physical environment was right, which excludes all of Europe, I certainly wouldn’t dislike it.  It is clearly designed to look at least as big as it actually is, which is is already very big indeed.  Witness the horizontal grille bars emphasizing width, and the barely rounded extremities emphasizing overall bulk. All in all it is a worthy competitor in the “Full-Size SUV” segment. I am surprised Lexus hasn’t contracted Arnie Schwarzenegger as its lead testimonial seeing that he still seems to prefer Yukon/Hummers.  

Yeah LX600 looks slightly better in right environment: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2022-lexus-lx-review/

Can't say it is much worse than Cullinan or Bentayga... I just don't like SUVs overall.

However, if you envisage it as offroader on desert road, then it kind of looks right:

Lexus Will Showcase an Off-Road Version of the LX600 SUV in Tokyo – Robb  Report

Problem is that we as a nation in UK unnecessarily buy massive SUVs and drive them in the city, which is just silly. 

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

This car to me is a prime example of the totally backward american way of thinking when it comes to cars. Here we are 2022 and they come up with a van that averages 8.9mpg !!  Maybe this was acceptable in 1955 but even if you are totally against any form of Battery propulsion this is a total engineering disgrace and i honestly cannot invent one single argument to defend this.

In a nutshell this philosophy explains why there is not one ( 1 ) single car in the current line up of Ford/GM/Chrysler that is even remotely competitive in the European market. Bizarre agressive styling, low tech engines with horrific fuel consumption, cheap plastic interiors, below average fit and finish and average crash protection. In case of trucks this is even worse as these are not categorized as cars so no need to have thesame standards. Bolt on chassis, springleaves no roll over protection and so on. Crap vehicles produced for customers that are easily satisfied. 

The big 3 have been shrinking for the last 10 years and if they dont reinvent themselves they are toast.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links