Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

17 minutes ago, KzA said:

I think someone in an older thread said Lexus was working on a metal plate to guard the wheel arch area.

I heard today from my dealer that this plate is now in production. No ETA on fitment time though.

Paul

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sumtingwong said:

Keyless car entry fills me with dread for this very reason.

This can be easily mitigated with a Faraday cage or disabling the feature.

Unfortunately the Can bus theft is much harder to prevent.

I’m really sorry to read this @Fatts

I absolutely love my RX, but the length of time this vulnerability has been known about with no tangible action taken to date by Lexus is unacceptable IMHO.

One thing is for sure. If mine is stolen - ignoring the distress and inconvenience, especially considering my disability - it wouldn’t be replaced with another Lexus RX waiting to be a crime statistic!

Probably a stupid question, but where do the stolen cars go? Surely in this day and age with all the websites like Car Vertical people don’t buy something worth this much without thorough checks? So where do they go and what is the point of the theft? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PDM said:

I heard today from my dealer that this plate is now in production. No ETA on fitment time though.

Paul

Well if it’s as slow as the recent recalls I wouldn’t hold your breath.

6 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m really sorry to read this @Fatts

I absolutely love my RX, but the length of time this vulnerability has been known about with no tangible action taken to date by Lexus is unacceptable IMHO.

One thing is for sure. If mine is stolen - ignoring the distress and inconvenience, especially considering my disability - it wouldn’t be replaced with another Lexus RX waiting to be a crime statistic!

Probably a stupid question, but where do the stolen cars go? Surely in this day and age with all the websites like Car Vertical people don’t buy something worth this much without thorough checks? So where do they go and what is the point of the theft? 

I have written to Lexus Customer Relations today and told them that another member of LoC had their RX stolen and that it's a race against time for them to get the plates fitted.  Dealer responded quickly but Lexus have stopped communicating directly it seems.

As much as I like the cars, the ownership experience with the RX has been poor (not because of the dealer - infect if my dealer had not been so good, it would have been a very bad thing indeed).  Unfinished infotainment software (MM19) that will not be fixed with plenty of outstanding bugs... I had lots of rattles which the dealer had to fix... and now this security issue.  We have not had any other brand of vehicle since 2013....  and I would not want to change to some other brand and later regret it, but replacing Lexus with Lexus is no where near the obvious choice anymore.  Genesis?

I believe the stolen cars are either stripped for parts, or taken abroad and sold:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stolen-london-and-smuggled-africa-tracking-car-thieves

Paul

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PDM said:

replacing Lexus with Lexus is no where near the obvious choice anymore.  Genesis?

Personally I’d go back to Honda having had a few, all of which were excellent. Lexus tempted me away, and I’ve been very happy with my NX and RX, but this specific issue and the seeming lack of urgency from Lexus is making me think twice about another one. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Personally I’d go back to Honda having had a few, all of which were excellent. Lexus tempted me away, and I’ve been very happy with my NX and RX, but this specific issue and the seeming lack of urgency from Lexus is making me think twice about another one. 

But, this issue affects pretty much all premium cars. Im sure there are much more accessible targets including the RR Sport which suffers from the same Canbus thefts accessed through the rear hatch. BMW X5's, Audis and Mercedes also are targeted. 

I dont think there's any real way of getting around it apart from keeping your car as secure as you can.... apart from driving something which isnt as desirable I suppose. 

The other thing is - are they actually canbus thefts or keyless thefts? The pouches are rubbish and stop working after a few months yet people seem to think they last forever. 

I dont think Canbus thefts work with the Ghost immobiliser so I think that would definitely be a sound investment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

But, this issue affects pretty much all premium cars. Im sure there are much more accessible targets including the RR Sport which suffers from the same Canbus thefts accessed through the rear hatch. BMW X5's, Audis and Mercedes also are targeted. 

I dont think there's any real way of getting around it apart from keeping your car as secure as you can.

With the RR it seems the thieves have to actually cut a hole in the body work to perform the attack.  Not sure where the access point is on the X5 or Audis and mercs.

I just read that Alpha's can be stolen by accessing the CAN through the front radar sensor.

Perhaps it is prudent now to wait for the automakers to add a security layer to CAN, or move to another comms architecture, before purchasing a new vehicle.

Paul

• Thanks 1

I have my car insured by NFU (you get the replacement cost of a new car for 2 years after purchase from new). I had a 2 year old RR Velar, they said as I was an existing customer they would renew it in November but warned it was going to be very expensive.  For new customers they refuse to insure any Land Rover Range Rovers unless they are older than 5 years. 
I was discussing my switch to a RZ450e and they had no problem to insure that but said RX’s are getting up there with RR’s for theft. 
To insure the Velar it had to have a S5 tracker, the RZ doesn’t have to have one, when I told them I am having one fitted the price remained the same. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I have my car insured by NFU (you get the replacement cost of a new car for 2 years after purchase from new). I had a 2 year old RR Velar, they said as I was an existing customer they would renew it in November but warned it was going to be very expensive.  For new customers they refuse to insure any Land Rover Range Rovers unless they are older than 5 years. 
I was discussing my switch to a RZ450e and they had no problem to insure that but said RX’s are getting up there with RR’s for theft. 
To insure the Velar it had to have a S5 tracker, the RZ doesn’t have to have one, when I told them I am having one fitted the price remained the same. 

My RX insurance has more than doubled with Aviva this year, I assume for similar reasons. In contrast, the cost for my MINI Cooper (same driver, same address etc) has stayed the same.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spock66 said:

This can be easily mitigated with a Faraday cage or disabling the feature.

Unfortunately the Can bus theft is much harder to prevent.

Thanks, I had to google it, I thought they were the same, now I have another thing to worry about! 😅 Still, it's better to know then to not.

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

My RX insurance has more than doubled with Aviva this year, I assume for similar reasons. In contrast, the cost for my MINI Cooper (same driver, same address etc) has stayed the same.

Mine too.  I phoned Lexus motor insurance to get a quote for a comparison and they would not even quote on the car! I told this to Lexus CR and they did not even comment.

Paul

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, PDM said:

Mine too.  I phoned Lexus motor insurance to get a quote for a comparison and they would not even quote on the car! I told this to Lexus CR and they did not even comment.

Paul

That is ridiculous. If Lexus insurance will not insure a Lexus, then the car is not fit for purpose.

Did they say why?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moleman said:

That is ridiculous. If Lexus insurance will not insure a Lexus, then the car is not fit for purpose.

Did they say why?

I asked if it was because of CANbus thefts and the reply was "probably".

Yes - I told Lexus it was crazy that their branded insurance would not cover their own vehicles and got no reply....

Paul

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2023 at 1:31 PM, PDM said:

I asked if it was because of CANbus thefts and the reply was "probably".

Yes - I told Lexus it was crazy that their branded insurance would not cover their own vehicles and got no reply....

Paul

Strange I Got A Quote from lexus Insurance Yesterday Quite reasonable Price No Bother at All And No silly Restrictions...

14 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Strange I Got A Quote from lexus Insurance Yesterday Quite reasonable Price No Bother at All And No silly Restrictions...

Ronnie,

I think my central London location is a big problem.

Paul

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Ronnie,

I think my central London location is a big problem.

Paul

Yes Paul That could be the reason... Suppose the risk factor will determine The price. Thats assuming they want to take that Risk..!!!! P.s got a quote from Chris Knott insurance Fairly reasonable price and great reviews Compared to Adrian Flux ..Also avoid churchill But consider Chris Knott  I was impressed..!!!!

12 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

avoid churchill

^^ Why avoid Churchill out of interest? I’ve never been with them, but they’re the cheapest quote for me this year, £250 cheaper than Aviva (who I’ve been with 3 years) for equivalent cover and over £100 cheaper than anybody else on the comparison websites.

I’ve submitted a quote request to Chris Knott this afternoon based on the recommendation given @RONNIE W HODGEKINSON

Will be interested to see how they compare as tbh I’ve never heard of them!

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Why avoid Churchill out of interest? I’ve never been with them, but they’re the cheapest quote for me this year, £250 cheaper than Aviva (who I’ve been with 3 years) for equivalent cover and over £100 cheaper than anybody else on the comparison websites.

Several colleagues who were with churchill said there customer service was diabolical also Members of this group have also voiced disappointment with churchill...I would personally give them a wide berth...There only ever as good as the service you get when you come to make a claim...But its up to you You might choose them and get Great service But i would do my homework before parting with The MONEY  Take Care..!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone called 'Aden Shomefun' on the Facebook group 'Lexus Owners Club UK' has just posted this in the last few minutes:

Found this parked up in East London. Obviously stolen. Chassis number ends in 7013. Anyone missing an RX?

https://scontent.fgla3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/347129269_1442622433155275_2285637736403828142_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_eui2=AeFwbMeg95zCtSdKotAMlIhJyMQPx1aMeiLIxA_HVox6IuCMZJ_zJVvI7UY3CwJ7cKo&_nc_ohc=AgGDqst6nKEAX_YwkkS&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-1.fna&oh=00_AfBLt9fF4cD4uqKcoGEPgzaTrh_N994raDaGyDMjWndDwQ&oe=646E596F

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links