Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shock absorber failure at 13000 miles!

Just had to pay out nearly £500 to get one shock absorber replaced on my RCF. Call me tight but I really didn't expect failure at this mileage, any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I agree. That is truly atrocious. Isn't it under warranty and didn't they themselves feel that this was/is premature wear!

Rediculous TBH but having always tried to byt quality items (in other avenues including cars) I can confirm that the qaulity of most things has gone downhill.

Still... Wouldn't have expected it from 'we are quality' Lexus. Shocking (sorry).

• Like 1

I’m starting to think Relax is a bit of a joke.

Lexus know that nothing big will go wrong with these cars and when claims for other items are made, they hide behind ‘wear and tear’.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shock absorbers and springs arent included in the relax warranty. 

Does make sense I suppose from a wear and tear perspective especially with the state of our roads

However, the car does have low mileage. I suggest a strong email to Lexus customer services will get you some sort of compensation as the mileage is quite low, especially if there is a full Lexus service history. 

The IS300h had a shock absorber go at 20k miles. Had some kind of leak in the rear shocks. Its well known part issue on some of them.

Another problem is that its clear the car hasnt been driven enough. Normally you'd expect 13k miles to be done in 13 months so well within manufacturers warranty but it gets complicated on low mileage cars

It was picked up at the last service, the first thing I asked was isn't that a bit premature wear wise.

In the past I have always praised Lexus for bombproof reliability/quality of components, I may have to change my replies on car forums in the future.

Has anyone a contact address where I should send my complaint?

15 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It was picked up at the last service, the first thing I asked was isn't that a bit premature wear wise.

In the past I have always praised Lexus for bombproof reliability/quality of components, I may have to change my replies on car forums in the future.

Has anyone a contact address where I should send my complaint?

https://www.lexus.co.uk/help-centre

Scroll down to Still need assistance and fill in the Contact Lexus form. 

Generally speaking the cars are bombproof and extremely reliable. Doesnt make them absolutely immune to all problems and it usually is bad batch of parts on a very small number of cars causing the issues. 

• Like 2

Both rear shocks on my GS F were leaking at 4 years / 18k miles - not enough to fail the MOT so Lexus wouldn't replace them under extended warranty (although they would have been covered - but not Relax warranty, which is worth as much as you pay for it).

image.thumb.png.536bdb2da2999b645a9af115bc4cf852.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Looks like I've just got to suck this up then.

It’s amazing once you really start reading it how much isn’t covered by the warranty. I’m certainly not relaxed whenever I visit the dealer for a service. Still worth sending an email even if it’s just to make you feel better!!

I’m in for a service in a few weeks and will be mentioning my drivers seat bolster, the foam seems to have collapsed but the leather is still mint so I’m expecting a battle with them when they undoubtedly claim it’s my arse causing it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I echo the above really. Relax is just a marketing exercise. Looks good for advertising but in reality not much worth while looks to be covered. Fortunately the cars seem to be more mechanically reliable than their German counterparts. Looking at other forums, I’m not sure why people are happy with these cars with the faults reported. I guess all cars go wrong, nothing is perfect. Lexus / Toyota  seems to give the least trouble of the bunch.

I had mixed results with the extended warranty when it was around  also but overall I was much more successful with my claims. 

Unfortunately I imagine your seat will be down to wear and tear again. 

Looking at it from a different perspective Relax is a bit like Public Liability Insurance it's there for the really big things that can happen, or at least you hope it is. As you get it as part of servicing your car with Lexus I suppose ultimately compared to other marques it is a good deal.

My thinking behind getting a Lexus with AVS and TVD has taken a bit of a battering though, as the car isn't used on track with me having other cars to do that I'm very dissapoited with Lexus and did expect better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

Looking at it from a different perspective Relax is a bit like Public Liability Insurance it's there for the really big things that can happen, or at least you hope it is. As you get it as part of servicing your car with Lexus I suppose ultimately compared to other marques it is a good deal.

My thinking behind getting a Lexus with AVS and TVD has taken a bit of a battering though, as the car isn't used on track with me having other cars to do that I'm very dissapoited with Lexus and did expect better.

I do enjoy the compliant ride that AVS gives mind you!  Shock absorber is always going to cost a bit more because of it….

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

I think it would still be worth a try on the basis of premature failure and appealing to their better nature....

I have tried so we shall see. I'll report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

I have tried so we shall see. I'll report back.

Be persistent. 

Ive tried it a few times it works very well. My RX was 3 days of out Relax warranty mainly based on the date I could schedule the service for and it had a dodgy wheel bearing. Would have been covered if 3 days earlier. Email to Lexus UK and they refunded half. 

Your car has low miles, it shouldn't have happened and isnt really wear and tear on the basis of low mileage. 60k miles and above it may be a different story

• Like 3

I had one shock replaced a coupe of years back. Luckily it was picked up and covered just as my old extended warranty ran out, and before I had to switch to relax. It does make me concerned about how useful relax is, and how inappropriately named.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

£500 for one shock absorber made by Toyota. Isn’t it a joke? 

Relax warranty = sit comfortably and dig deep in your pockets!

It’s an AVS shock and if it’s installed by Lexus then Labour won’t be cheap!

Having had my shocks on and off a few times, I wouldn’t expect it to take long with a 2 poster lift and impact gun mind you!

On 9/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, B1RMA said:

Just had to pay out nearly £500 to get one shock absorber replaced on my RCF. Call me tight but I really didn't expect failure at this mileage, any thoughts?

Think the pre sale price for a GS F front shock at LPD is a bit steep !!!

Screenshot_20230917_230942_Chrome.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links