Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is2 Back End Slip

Donk

I recently bought a second hand IS200 SE as a replacement for my Scooby company car, fancied more of a mile muncher and was a toss up between that and a 5 series.

Not long after I bought it I completely lost control of the back end, it was sliding all over the place in mildly damp conditions and wondered if anyone else has had this problem, I've not read about any problems with traction in the IS, but this was scary, nothing I could do.

Anyone had a similar experience?

You do have to be pretty careful in the wet, the car has got a bit of a habit of the rear braking away when its a bit damp - I've had many sideways moments at roundabouts! The traction control is definately worth while - Simon has had some very positive feedback on the racelogic traction control. I will be getting it fitted soon - speak to TDi if you are interested in it, SimonSkippy will be able to give you more information about how it has helped.

The Racelogic is well worth it if you plan on modd'ing the car, the stock traction control is a bit poo. The Racelogic unit is excellent not only do you have a specific WET setting that keeps the car in complete control but you can also set the degree of'Slip' that you want if you fancy throwing the car around. It is incredibly stable and well worth investing in. Anyone that is in or passing through the Oxon area is quite welcome to drop in and i'll demo it for you, or when i'm back at TDi i'm sure Mark will take you out in it if you fancy trying it out

Cheers

Si

If you've got brand new tyres that aren't worn in a bit, old tyres or the wheel alignment is out then it's more likely to give you a surprise. Also some of the factory fitted choices of tyre are not so good in the wet. My IS200 S came with Yokohamas which stick like mad in the dry but are a bit dubious in the wet.

Thanks for the replies. I don't intend to modify the car as I want to keep it standard and flog it on once I've covered a huge amount of miles in it, so aftermarket add ons are not in my game plan.

The tyres are Kumho's, and have about 5mm all round, looked in very good nick. I've not read any reports of the IS2 being iffy in the wet and wonder if I got diesel spillage on the rears that threw me out. Having spent the last year in an Impreza I'm used to speed and throwing a car sideways, this was really different!

when it comes to tyre replacement time what would you recommend as standard size and good in the wet?

Just got my second set of Dunlop SP9000's - did 25K in the first set - could of gone on as well but thought I'd change before the rains came :unsure: .

I'm pleased with them although they are the only ones I've had on the IS200 so can't really compare - the Bridgestone are said to be better at holding the road but don't last as long.

I forgot to mention, the car got a bang under a central reservation barrier on the motorway as a result of the rear end spin...... :angry:

Now waiting for grease monkeys to fix it, expect to see car after Christmas the way things are going.

You can definitely get the back out in the wet, but don't rely on thr traction control to sort it out. It will cut in but not immediately. If you can anticipate it you will catch it before the traction control does!

I'll second that, happened to me about a month ago, on a wet roundabout. Not even a sniff of traction control, I felt it go and eased off the gas.:o It felt weird, as I have always had front wheel drive cars before.

Cheers ........... bs :ph34r:

I've only upset mine twice, being a berk both times.

Gave it to much wellie coming off a roundabout in icy conditions and then something similar somewhere different in the wet. First time I caught it and the second the traction control wagged its finger at me.

I have to say compared to other cars I've driven, the IS is easy to bring back under control once you've been daft. I had a very nasty incident on a very icy day in a company Mondeo when it went completely and refused to do anything. It just glided across the ice with the handling profile of a supertanker and came to rest in a ditch. :crybaby:

i pushed it to 50mph in 3rd on tuesday on a tight bend accelerating all the way through the bend in hanley just coming off a roundabout and it was wet but the car stuck to the road easy, the VTR had no chance.

saying that i accelerated off the lights in stafford town and straight into 2nd gear and felt traction control kick in and back end sway. thing was i did'nt accelerate hard on that and it slipped slightly.

I've lost the back end once, was going rather sharpish around a wet bend, and I've found out since that my Mum span a Porsche there a few years ago (made me feel a little better).

I've done the same corner once since and took it very easy and still felt the car go light, then watched in my rear view as an Astra lost the back - so I reckon that it was the road and not the car. Sorry to hear about the encounter with the crash barrier, though.

I've also had understeer on a wet road, but I think that may have been something to do with the manhole cover.

as a relative newcomer to this forum thingy, I am amazed by the amount of posts, good to hear other's stories though.

I spoke to the crash repair centre today and I'm more and more convinced the car should have been made a total loss as they've had to order new wings, bumper, lights, bonnet , tyre, plus sundries. A V reg 1999 with 47K on the clock? Think I would have prefered a cheque than a 3 week wait.

:sad:

as a relative newcomer to this forum thingy, I am amazed by the amount of posts, good to hear other's stories though.

I spoke to the crash repair centre today and I'm more and more convinced the car should have been made a total loss as they've had to order new wings, bumper, lights, bonnet , tyre, plus sundries. A V reg 1999 with 47K on the clock? Think I would have prefered a cheque than a 3 week wait.

:sad:

whats the total cost of the repair?

as compared to the market value of the car?

thats normally the insurance companies requirement for total loss decision

I recently bought a second hand IS200 SE as a replacement for my Scooby company car, fancied more of a mile muncher and was a toss up between that and a 5 series.

Not long after I bought it I completely lost control of the back end, it was sliding all over the place in mildly damp conditions and wondered if anyone else has had this problem, I've not read about any problems with traction in the IS, but this was scary, nothing I could do.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Real sorry to hear about your mishap. Maybe its just getting used to RWD? I have certainly had the backend loose traction on mine, but only when I was expecting it, so easy to catch.

Trackdays are a great way of learning what will happen and how a car handles, hence you can predict what will happen on the road.

http://www.bookatrack.co.uk/

are a great, internet based, track day company. I have done a few days with them. They offer a relaxed, cheap day. At venues from airfields to UK national tracks. Always had more than enough track time. If you don't want to use your own car, then they also offer a few different cars for hire too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links