Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Mpg

I've got an 03 IS200 SE, a few weeks old with just under 1K miles on the clock. and am loving it apart from one thing.....

Can anyone tell me when this motor is going to start giving me better than the 16 MPG it currently gives me? i know the IS MPG is pretty crap for a modern car, and its brand new and all, but hummers do better than that!

i do a ~45mile round trip to work mon-fri with little driving at the weekends so call it 245 miles per week.. a full 70litre tank of gas at £45 lasts me a week = a very approx 16mpg. fortunately I can afford it, but i'm not very impressed! :crying:

Anyone got any tips for me?

I get around 280 miles from a full tank of optimax in my IS200 SE Auto with air con on

I dont do any motor way driving and lots of stuck in traffic type driving :yawn:

my car's done just short of 60,000 miles now

thirsty cars indeed

Dave, is yours the auto or the manual as there does seem to be quite a difference in fuel consumption between the two.

MPG will improve once your engine has losened up a little (about 4,000 miles, then it is better still after 15,000ish). I also bought my car new and originally was getting about 320 to 350 miles to a tank. I now get 420 miles on average to a tankful. Still not good - but better than 245 !!!

I calculate the IS200 Manual driven smoothly but spiritedly cross country (I live in the country, and the office is in a small 'town') costs £12.50 per 100 miles.

guys, i know IS200 drinks a lot of petrol... here in Italy the says an average consuption of 10.2 kilometers /litre....

But.... as i can see here....

BESTY do 9.14 km/l

BRETTSTER do 6.40 km/l :crybaby: (like a corvette :shutit: )

ULTRAVIOLET do 9.6 km/l.....

:huh:

guys.... anyone with 10 or more km/l????

a full 70litre tank of gas at £45 lasts me a week

Have you managed put in 70 litres? I've never got more than 60 in it.

Even with the needle resting on the pin for the fuel gauge, I could still only get 65 litres in.

I get around 440 miles on 60 - 65 litres.

Accelerate hard, then feather the accelerator when crusing. Even works around town. Can get the MPG gauage to sit around 40 mpg all the way up to 75 mph

Paul

I am getting an average of 29 mpg - IS200 SE manual - a/c knocks 1 - 2 mpg off in this weather - mix of town and motorway.

Best ever was 32 mpg on run to Scotland.

Worst ever 22 mpg round town and going mad in country ... :D

:winky:

I'd go along with the 420 to 450 per full tank on UK spec 200 SE once 15k+ on the Odometer. Long fast motorway/constant speed seems to return best MPG, around town is pretty much on a par with a chieftan tank!

If you are ambling around town at sub 30 MPH ( as we all should be :P ) then try sticking the SNOW button on. Kills the performance but big improvement in MPG if you believe the economy dial. Never tested this out properly tho' have resorted to such measures when needle is on empty and miles to next fuel stop and it seems to work.

Dunno' what it's doing to the cats mind you.

Any comments :question:

The consumption on my IS200SE (March 2003) was relatively poor. After it's 10k service I noticed

that I got at least another 50-60mpg on a tank.

I guess around 440 on average for a tankfull. I do a minumum of 700 miles a week - at least 500 are on the M1.

I'm one of the priviledged fully expensed company car drivers :blush: so actual mpg is

not a high priority - except for the number of times I have to visit a forecourt of course!

Tax on the emissions is bad - but the buzz I get every time I drive it more than makes up for it!

How ? :ohmy:

First 240 miles: sat at 70, from ipswich to manchester.

Next 20 miles: Pottering around manchester

Next 30 miles: Manchester to M1 through woodhead pass, trying to knock silly motorcyclist off their bikes for being ****s. Red mist everywhere, heavy right foot :-(

Next 230 miles: Motorway and A1/A14 trunk down to Ipswich

When crusing at 70 (I know, seems VERY slow) feather the accelerator and let the speed gradually slow down to 65, then speed up to 75, and repeat.

When setting off from roundabouts, accelerate hard to get to the speed you want to be at and then feather acclerator again.

This was, however, 1/4 unleaded, 3/4 Optimax

I think the three key things are:

1. get to the speed you want to be at ASAP. Don't go through the gears.

2. Engine brake: AFAIK, when coasting in gear with no feet on the peddles, so long as the revs are above a safe RPM, the ECU cuts the fuel

3. Do the speed up, slow down naturally thing. I think that's the key thing.

For the first 1/2 a tank, sitting at 70 produced just less than 40mpg on the gauge. After that, it was slightly more, probably due to the lesser weight of fuel being carried.

Hope that helps all you heavy drinkers out there!

Paul

PS: Used to get 550 miles out of a tank in my 2L S reg avensis!

Update: Got 520 miles out of the last tank!

Blimey - the best I've managed is 470. Mind you, I never drive at 70 (well, not on the motorway at least :whistling: )

How much gas did it take when you filled it? I put 67.something in after 470.

Dave, is yours the auto or the manual as there does seem to be quite a difference in fuel consumption between the two.

MPG will improve once your engine has losened up a little (about 4,000 miles, then it is better still after 15,000ish).  I also bought my car new and originally was getting about 320 to 350 miles to a tank.  I now get 420 miles on average to a tankful.  Still not good - but better than 245 !!!

halfway through the the 4th fill - looking at doing ~340 on it which tallies with your numbers.

i fear my math was flawed assuming a full tank was 70l i think.

got my MPG spreadsheet at the ready anyway for the next fill :-) sad i know. heh.

am also learning how to drive the car better which helps. see the MPG needle hitting the 40s+ more often now after taking some advice from this thread. thanks all :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links