Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Your most memorable drive

I work shifts. Bonus - you commute to/from work when the roads are mostly empty. Drawback - you're usually knackered...

A while ago after a night shift at the tail-end of summer, I'd finished work on a Sunday morning at 06:00 and wasn't feeling as sleepy as normal. As the glorious ISF V8 barked into life and settled to a lumpy idle in the previously silent car-park, I decided I'd take a very long, 100mile route of backroads on my way home. 

What followed was one of the best 2hrs I've ever had on the roads. As the sun crept slowly up, the lesser used A- and B- roads of Hampshire bellowed with the wonderful V8 sound. Apexes were clipped, most corners were straight-lined and the sheer pace of the F shrunk all but the longest straights. 3rd and 4th were the cogs-du-jour and the throttle blips and pops from the H&S exhaust the icing on the cake. 

After an hour, I hadn't seen a single other car. Then, as I started to vaguely thread my way back home I noticed I was following an old AC Cobra, 2 up, along the A272; a popular biker route round here (with good reason) presumably on the way to a breakfast meet at Goodwood.  The driver wasn't hanging about - I could hear their 427 over my car from around 200 yards away, the heady smell of a big carbed classic through my windows. 

(As an aside, when I was around 14, I'd been driven around Mallory Park for a few laps in a Cobra. It was that morning that I became a lifelong car nut!)

I turned off after around 10 minutes of following. It was so nice; that rare occasion when you see another driver, also in their P&J, out to enjoy the process of driving. Just before home, I stopped to refuel - I'd demolished 3/4 of a tank in around a hundred miles. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat...

• Like 7

Sounds epic, the ISF,  the V8......just needs to be driven. Want to plan a road trip soon, maybe with some fellow F's. Best drive for me so far was when I picked up my car in Shannon, drive to Dublin. Ferry to Holyhead, then back to Buckinghamshire. :yahoo:

Road trips are a must if you own cars like these. Already got a trip round Scotland planned with fellow car nuts this summer. NC500 and everything in between. Probably be something like 2000 miles all in. Did it last year in my 350Z and was probably my most memorable drive to date.

• Like 2

Most memorable drive in the ISF was probably the impromptu mini hoon I had a few months back with two of my mates. 

Last of the autumn sunshine, 3 completely different cars and some superb Yorkshire countryside roads. 

The howl of the ISF and the sublime blip when downshifting in sports mode was the icing on the cake. Took this snap after we parked up in our old local for a drink and a chat.

D0E8D1E9-BC77-4875-9D23-86D7D509E83F_zps

• Like 2

Nicely written piece.

One of my favourites has to be Andorra in November last year, clear blue sky, great quality surface and absolutely nothing on the roads, also no police or cameras, never pushed the car anywhere near that hard before and it never missed a beat, as expected.

I am definitely going again, anyone that is interested is welcome to join me.

P1000447.JPG

P1000455.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Toothy said:

Road trips are a must if you own cars like these. Already got a trip round Scotland planned with fellow car nuts this summer. NC500 and everything in between. Probably be something like 2000 miles all in. Did it last year in my 350Z and was probably my most memorable drive to date.

Yep NC500 is on my list to do this year.

6 hours ago, Toothy said:

All the European travelling I have had in my Ls400 has taken me to some spectacular places over the years BUT maybe one of the most memorable, because it's UK based, is the west coast of Scotland ..............  must be one of the world's best road trips for scenery

Malc

9 hours ago, mrfunex said:

I work shifts. Bonus - you commute to/from work when the roads are mostly empty. Drawback - you're usually knackered...

A while ago after a night shift at the tail-end of summer, I'd finished work on a Sunday morning at 06:00 and wasn't feeling as sleepy as normal. As the glorious ISF V8 barked into life and settled to a lumpy idle in the previously silent car-park, I decided I'd take a very long, 100mile route of backroads on my way home. 

What followed was one of the best 2hrs I've ever had on the roads. As the sun crept slowly up, the lesser used A- and B- roads of Hampshire bellowed with the wonderful V8 sound. Apexes were clipped, most corners were straight-lined and the sheer pace of the F shrunk all but the longest straights. 3rd and 4th were the cogs-du-jour and the throttle blips and pops from the H&S exhaust the icing on the cake. 

After an hour, I hadn't seen a single other car. Then, as I started to vaguely thread my way back home I noticed I was following an old AC Cobra, 2 up, along the A272; a popular biker route round here (with good reason) presumably on the way to a breakfast meet at Goodwood.  The driver wasn't hanging about - I could hear their 427 over my car from around 200 yards away, the heady smell of a big carbed classic through my windows. 

(As an aside, when I was around 14, I'd been driven around Mallory Park for a few laps in a Cobra. It was that morning that I became a lifelong car nut!)

I turned off after around 10 minutes of following. It was so nice; that rare occasion when you see another driver, also in their P&J, out to enjoy the process of driving. Just before home, I stopped to refuel - I'd demolished 3/4 of a tank in around a hundred miles. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat...

have you considered becoming a poet?!  For me it was driving over 4 days from Vancouver to Calgary in a rented Toyota Camry, taking our time, in awe of the mountains and lakes and surprisingly enjoying the 60mph speed limit!

• Like 1

My abiding memory is the day I bought the car, as I was doing a part exchange with Lexus Sheffield and I live some 200 miles from there it was going to be along day, I didn't realise just how long it would turn out to be.

I set off from home early a cold crisp dry January morning and I decided not to use motorways as the forecast for the journey up was good and wanted to enjoy the last drive in what was in my opinion one of the best engines I'd sat behind, the car was a 56 Plate 5 pot Focus ST very low mileage and one owner before me, not a car I intended as a keeper it was something of an interim drive between the higher performance motors I like but all the same good cars.

I arrived in Sheffield after a very uneventful run up and we commenced the hand over I thought and still find these things quite exciting and the prep of the car was first class as the IS-F sat behind obscure glass in the hand over area.

As i had bought the car unseen we went for a test drive which was very satisfactory the feeling as new and tight for 30K miles.So the deal was done.

Car full of fuel and off I set it was a cold day but the temperature started to plummet no sooner had I left the dealership !

It was a little before 2pm ! I pulled over into a lay-by just south of the city and had a good look at the forecast it was not good and and was going to Snow, the moist roads were already getting a little slippery . I thought it in advisable to drive a powerfull unfamiliar car in these conditions so rather than going south I went east towards Lincolnshire.

Fantastic decision the conditions were just like those I had on my way up I was able to learn a lot about the car, I liked the oft criticised ride the power I was able to exploit post rush hour the taut handling and the slick gearbox. I new it was too far to make home now so booked a hotel I've stayed up many times before The Petwood House Hotel in Woodhall Spa, those Lincolnshire wold roads seem to really suit the car fast straights and some interesting hairpins to catch out the unwary, but I just love rear wheel drive in the theses circumstances slow in and fast out .... oh yes !

The Hotel was the officers mess for the Dambuster's squadron in WW2, after the raid and is rich in the history of all things connected, the steak and wine are bloody good as well !

The next morning set off the weather was appalling but what a great stable comfortable car they are in these conditions as well,

was able to to do the odd overtake and by feeding the power in was able to make good progress without any dramas !

As I neared home I congratulated myself on a cracking buy I was genuinely impressed and I have not changed my mind one year and 9k mikes later, well done on this one Lexus.

Big Rat

• Like 5

I've done the NC500 and many sections of it in recent years and long before it gained that identification. It's a bit like releasing the V8 into the wild. Best roads in the UK are North and West of Inverness. I would recommend the early Autumn when there's less tourist traffic on the road and don't be surprised if you're pushing the ISF hard in the twisty bits only to suddenly find the rear view mirror full of local builders van hurrying home for tea.

Some of the high Alpine passes with the long tunnel sections stick in my mind and the Alaska Highway is a contender but the most memorable road trip for me was Lands End to John O' Groats.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neil E said:

I've done the NC500 and many sections of it in recent years and long before it gained that identification. It's a bit like releasing the V8 into the wild. Best roads in the UK are North and West of Inverness. I would recommend the early Autumn when there's less tourist traffic on the road and don't be surprised if you're pushing the ISF hard in the twisty bits only to suddenly find the rear view mirror full of local builders van hurrying home for tea.

Some of the high Alpine passes with the long tunnel sections stick in my mind and the Alaska Highway is a contender but the most memorable road trip for me was Lands End to John O' Groats.

Hi Neil

A few of us down hear in the West and of course all others would be welcome have been toying with the idea of a road trip to Scotland if enough interest could be garnered, sounds like you may be the bloke to liaise with should it come off.

That is if you can put up with another mini sasanach - think that's how you spell it- invasion 😂

Big Rat

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

Hi Neil

A few of us down hear in the West and of course all others would be welcome have been toying with the idea of a road trip to Scotland if enough interest could be garnered, sounds like you may be the bloke to liaise with should it come off.

That is if you can put up with another mini sasanach - think that's how you spell it- invasion 😂

Big Rat

It would be brilliant if we could organise something up here, I know I would be there in a heartbeat.  Could even help organise if required

It would be great guys, there is a NC500 page on Facebook that's full of info.

Strict local rules for the single track roads are no convoys allowed due to passing places only big enough for 1 or 2 cars.

I plan on doing it this year with wife and daughter, taking minimum 8 days as we will be doing some hiking and Munro bagging, offcourse time at the beaches as well.

I went with a group of seven (ish) cars. Never had a problem with passing points. If there is an on coming car, you just get right of way as they will wait at the passing point for you. I'll have to dig some photos out, beautiful roads and scenery...

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

Here's a memorable spot, Kylesku - a favourite stopping point on the NC500. bridge.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing!

We need to make this happen.  I've already told the wife we're going and if she decides otherwise then just means I'll have an extra space in the car.  Might have to find a new wife when I get back mind.........win-win then!!

• Like 2

I could be interested in the NC500 if it happens (and assuming non IS-F drivers would be welcome) - schedule and SWMBO permitting :)

There's big thread on PH relating to this, may be worth perusing for info and advice.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=118&t=1569491

Slight thread hijack, I think a separate NC500 thread is required.

Phil

The route from Vancouver to Calgary, now that's a trip with lakes and mountains on another scale. Did you go further North too? 

Derail away! 

After talking about this thread with a mate, we may end up doing the NC500 in early Sept! He's got a 2003 Boxster S. There's not much between it and the ISF until triple figures! 

• Like 1

Last time I was that far north I was in a Boxster S, good cars ive head 2 of them over the years really liked them both strange as it may seem to some they were both Silver, here's a pic of the last one down Bournemouth way .

She was in at Porsche Bournemouth for a service by chance the previous owner was also there with his 911 for a checkover.

Big Rat

IMG_0016.JPG

About 3 years ago 2 friends of mine decided they were going to cycle Lands End to John O'Groats unassisted.  They were a bit worried about what was going to happen either end so I volunteered to drop them off in Cornwall and pick them up 3 weeks later in Scotland.  The trip to Lands End was uneventful and not really worth mentioning.  We ended up staying the Friday night (after work) at the hotel right at Lands End and I pushed them off early the Saturday morning and I went back home.

I decided to make a bit more of a trip of the other end and with regular updates from my friends it was obvious they were going to make it to John O'Groats with a couple of days to spare.  We had hotels booked for the "finishing" day so my plan didn't change and on one day mid-week 2.5 weeks after they started I left home in Somerset and drove over 550 miles to Fort William which was to be my rest stop for day 1.  My plan was to get the crap bit out the way in one hit and then have a couple of days flying round the highlands before meeting my friends.  2/3s of the way up I was slightly worried I'd messed up as I was more tired than I was hoping for.  Thankfully after getting off the motorway at Glasgow and going East around some roads I'd done a couple of years earlier in my BMW I had a petrol related adrenaline rush.  125 miles flew by and I ended day 1 where I was supposed to much more awake than I was expecting.  Shame I'd missed dinner but never mind.

Day 2 was shorter but more fun.  The road from Fort William to Mallaig is great fun and one I'd done a couple of times before.  Up early for the blast down the A830 and stop in Mallaig for the ferry to the Isle of Skye and breakfast.  A days hooning round the Isle of Skye was finished with a 70 mile trek to Inverness for the next bed (and I managed to get food too).

Day 3 was a bit shorter and the day I was meeting my friends in John O'Groats so north from Inverness and then cut across country and basically up the middle and across the top.  I'd done the loop from Inverness to Ullapool, Durness, Thurso and back to Inverness in one day in my BMW a couple of years earlier (that's a different story).  Thankfully this day was a bit shorter but no less fun.  At the end of the day met up with my mates, loaded the car up with 2 bikes on the roof plus all their luggage (weighed 45kgs plus bikes) ready for the next day.

Day 4 showed a different side to the car.  Having put up with me using much fuel for 2 days it was time to start the slog home, all 700 miles of it.  3 people, 2 bikes on the roof plus all that luggage (plus my stuff) and we cruised from John O'Groats to Carlisle for our midway stop.  Comfortable, fairly fuel efficient (still got 30mpg) made this bit just easy. 

Day 5 is more of the same from day 4 apart from more motorway.  It's quite difficult to limit yourself to 70 even with all that stuff.

5 days and somewhere in the region of 2000 miles later I was back home and back to work:yucky: Had to pay for the petrol I suppose :biggrin:  Always amused me of peoples reactions being overtaken by a car with that noise and cycle bars on the roof :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil E said:

Slight thread hijack, I think a separate NC500 thread is required.

Phil

The route from Vancouver to Calgary, now that's a trip with lakes and mountains on another scale. Did you go further North too? 

We did divert to the Columbia icefield where we stayed overnight at the Icefield Chalet, and the next day went on the strange bus type thing that took us on to the glacier, an amazing experience.  We then had to continue to Calgary as we were staying with my sister.  We've done the same trip twice, once in the Camry and once in a Honda awd of some kind, useful as it snowed heavily that time! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links