Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Holidays with the Lexus


Recommended Posts

I was wondering how many of you would take the Lexus on a summer holiday. In the current situation it seems most people do not take a plane and choose to drive to wherever that may be. I will stay where i am and see how the situation will develop, am aiming on September/October to go South of Europe.

What about you? International road-trips? Lake district or Coastal trip or just stay put like me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm hoping to take the LS up to Scotland later on in August. Originally it was going to be the Lexus, then the Subaru but now I'm leaning back towards the Lexus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

have taken my Ls400 ( s ) on very many european and uk wide road trips over the years ....  usually a month or so and 4k miles a time ........... but this year it's so so different ............  maybe next year if covid becomes less of an issue ........  wouldn't fly anywhere either for heaven's sake, ..  in a metal tube with 4/500 others for some hours .....  jeez, wild horses and all that ............... and I own an on-line travel business that's a little in the doldrums right now too ( of course )

A few weeks tucked up in Chequers might not be too bad an option :thumbsup: .........  now that would be a brilliant staycation methinks

Malc

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


UK this year but as soon as it's viable we'll be taking our Lexi to Poland/Czechia/Slovakia/Latvia/Lithuania/Hungary and so on as we have done for most of the last 20-odd years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should have been taking the RX to France next week for a fortnight, but we cancelled that 2-3 months ago when it was becoming apparent things weren't really going the right way, so we'll be using it for a drive to Malvern and back. Will be good to let it stretch its legs a bit.

One of the reasons for getting the RX was how capable it would be on the French run, for me the driving there is as much a part of the experience as what we do and see on arrival, but sadly it's only made it there the once since getting it in 2019.

May use the LS400 to attend a show at the end of the month, that's a 200-mile round trip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, DanD said:

I'm going to the Isles of Scilly!

jump on the buses when your there ..........  leave the car at home or at the dockside / airport maybe 

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi we usually tour Europe a couple of times a year in either the MX5 or the Lexus  4 week trip but this fiasco has changed our outlook We will also watch what is happening .we wanted to go to the circuit des Ramparts rally in September in Angouleme a great car show with vintage cars racing through the town but I think that will go on hold until next year. I propose to sell the MX5 and keep the Lexus so all trips will now be carried out in comfort (tough decision but I don't need 2 cars and 2 nd hand prices are rising every week ) Never been to Poland etc as mentioned by Herbie sounds interesting for a complete change any Recommendations ?

Stay safe. Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done a number of European road trips in the past. This year we were going to do the North Coast 500 in Scotland but have now decided to do a complete tour round the coast of Wales. Three stopovers planned, each of two nights. Can’t wait, should be great. In September to avoid the busy school holiday period. Hotels booked. Hoping we’ll be able to go what with Covid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, true blue said:

Never been to Poland etc as mentioned by Herbie sounds interesting for a complete change

It's a beautiful country with beautiful, friendly and helpful people and it's cheap, although Covid may have altered that last a little bit (quick example, last time we went we got 5.5 Zloty to the Pound and beer was around 3 to 4 Zloty a pint).

We've toured all around the country and there are many superb places, Wroclaw, Krakow, Gdansk and Zakopane to name just four.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to drive around in Europe and North Africa even was in Turkey once, but since we got the CT the stupid virus has made driving around a risky affair. Maybe next year or maybe even later this year, though with the continuous opening of everything and the increasing number of infected, it may not happen. Economy seems to matter more than lives and in this forum I suppose most of us are no longer teen-agers, so illness is not something we take easy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Should have been taking the RX to France next week for a fortnight, but we cancelled that 2-3 months ago when it was becoming apparent things weren't really going the right way, so we'll be using it for a drive to Malvern and back. Will be good to let it stretch its legs a bit.

One of the reasons for getting the RX was how capable it would be on the French run, for me the driving there is as much a part of the experience as what we do and see on arrival, but sadly it's only made it there the once since getting it in 2019.

May use the LS400 to attend a show at the end of the month, that's a 200-mile round trip.

If going to Malvern I would highly recommend booking a factory visit to Morgan. It’s a great experience for anyone interested in cars.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in Cornwall for the week (from Bognor Regis) with the LS430.... In truth it's a tad wider than is completely comfortable for many country roads around where we are (Port Isaac) the paintwork has been brushed by bushes more than once, but I came expecting that! The drive here made it all worthwhile, it's my daily anyway, I'd honestly not change it for anything else... comfort unsurpassed... And even with it's 192k, it's still utterly reliable too!

In September we're off to Scotland but I'm taking my ISF for that one, a car deserving of the route 500!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RustyB said:

We are in Cornwall for the week (from Bognor Regis) with the LS430.... In truth it's a tad wider than is completely comfortable for many country roads around where we are (Port Isaac) the paintwork has been brushed by bushes more than once, but I came expecting that! The drive here made it all worthwhile, it's my daily anyway, I'd honestly not change it for anything else... comfort unsurpassed... And even with it's 192k, it's still utterly reliable too!

In September we're off to Scotland but I'm taking my ISF for that one, a car deserving of the route 500!!

Good man, glad you accept it comes with the territory 🤠

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Good man, glad you accept it comes with the territory 🤠

Most definitely!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RustyB said:

We are in Cornwall for the week (from Bognor Regis) with the LS430.... In truth it's a tad wider than is completely comfortable for many country roads around where we are (Port Isaac) the paintwork has been brushed by bushes more than once, but I came expecting that! The drive here made it all worthwhile, it's my daily anyway, I'd honestly not change it for anything else... comfort unsurpassed... And even with it's 192k, it's still utterly reliable too!

In September we're off to Scotland but I'm taking my ISF for that one, a car deserving of the route 500!!

They are a bit narrow them roads in Cornwall. Its on my bucket list to do the Nth coast 500. I've made the decision it will be clockwise and my first stop after home around 5hours and a bit driving will be Kinross. From there i havent decided yet. A pal did it said it was fabulous and he is doing it again. I would also like to pay avisit to the John lennon memorial garden.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Bernard Cornwall go every year twice usually just been in June and will be going back in September. First time in the UX and it was a great experience looking forward to Septembers run. Puts a lot of miles on the car coming from East York's roads are better now than what it was like 20 years ago.

Quote
Quote

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, paulrnx said:

If going to Malvern I would highly recommend booking a factory visit to Morgan. It’s a great experience for anyone interested in cars.

https://www.joeharmondesign.com/

Here is another that makes things a bit different.

Are you going to buy one of the wooden cars? They look great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RustyB said:

Most definitely!!!

Forgot to say also glad you don't blame the Govt, farmers the man from the Pru 🤗 and demand they grub up the hedges. In our village some years ago "townie" incomers complained about lack of footpaths and street lighting and noisy sheep and cows, 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

They are a bit narrow them roads in Cornwall. Its on my bucket list to do the Nth coast 500. I've made the decision it will be clockwise and my first stop after home around 5hours and a bit driving will be Kinross. From there i havent decided yet. A pal did it said it was fabulous and he is doing it again. I would also like to pay avisit to the John lennon memorial garden.

I did a lot of the 500 in our camper/mobile home in June 2019, a fortnight up via the lakes, along the west side, right across the top, then down along the east side home via the peaks... We had an amazing time, quite stunning roads/views!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were in Cornwall a few weeks ago, quite agree about the narrow roads, came home with a nice scratch down the whole length of the car. Need to get the detailing kit out but it is just to hot to do any paint correction at the moment!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, Herbie said:

UK this year but as soon as it's viable we'll be taking our Lexi to Poland/Czechia/Slovakia/Latvia/Lithuania/Hungary and so on as we have done for most of the last 20-odd years.

I have been spending 2 weeks in Slovakia every year since 2008 usually since around 20th August. Sometimes I go even twice a year (occasionally for Christmas period). We are visiting my wife's family there. I find Slovakia and Slovak people very friendly and helpful. Also everything is so cheap. In 2 weeks we eat almost always outside in restaurants and pubs. I find Bratislava very beautiful and a very underestimated capital in Europe.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Forgot to say also glad you don't blame the Govt, farmers the man from the Pru 🤗 and demand they grub up the hedges. In our village some years ago "townie" incomers complained about lack of footpaths and street lighting and noisy sheep and cows, 🤣

🤣 I know exactly what you mean.... I never got that mentally! My only gripe is the same as true drivers anywhere... The small hatch (or more like SUV!!) that is driven like a tractor, ie a can only pull out onto massive gaps in traffic, incapable of more than 29mph no matter what the road, and has to brake at every single bend in the road!!! 

Rant over!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RustyB said:

🤣 I know exactly what you mean.... I never got that mentally! My only gripe is the same as true drivers anywhere... The small hatch (or more like SUV!!) that is driven like a tractor, ie a can only pull out onto massive gaps in traffic, incapable of more than 29mph no matter what the road, and has to brake at every single bend in the road!!! 

Rant over!!

 

It's Wednesday every one should be allowed at least one a week 🤣 and you forgot to mention drivers on country roads who believe the centre of the road extends to the opposite kerb 😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Phil xxkr said:

It's Wednesday every one should be allowed at least one a week 🤣 and you forgot to mention drivers on country roads who believe the centre of the road extends to the opposite kerb 😱

I would of mentioned that, but then I would have to admit to my error when driving in France to my friends remote farmhouse, my first time driving in France in a about a decade (as my defense!!) meeting a French vehicle coming my way on a narrow almost single track road as we both move to my left....😊

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership