Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

30 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

You mean the same electric shocks that have been available on all the Lexus/Toyota Hybrids for over a decade. 😉

Exactly that. You have to be qualified to work on a hybrid, whereas anyone with simple knowledge can work on a conventional car. Hybrids are still 3 phase like EV's 

• Like 1

Panic thoughts " to the wind " today .............  just put me foot down and shot past absolutely everyone at a speed faster than light maybe ...... I know there's no speed cameras on this particular stretch and the dual carriageway opened before me and I darted past the two cars in front and then moments later there's a herd of cars behind .......  in the far distance ..  probably doing  70  .........  my speed, well, the speedos a trifle tempremental and it showed ZERO ...............  so hand on heart I didn't know that i was within the law Gov :yahoo:

It felt really good too

Malc

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, GMB said:

Our lexus dealer gave us a 100% electric thing maybe a UX? After 20 minutes I was bored stiff with it. The heater was useless ( it was December ). Glad I don't have one.

Correct, the UX is not a good EV….underpowered with out of date technology already.

TBH not many people in the EV fraternity understood the thinking behind it, very odd.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Exactly that. You have to be qualified to work on a hybrid, whereas anyone with simple knowledge can work on a conventional car. Hybrids are still 3 phase like EV's 

Well I am not sure many of the thousands of millennium mileage Prius taxis ever see the inside of a Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The-Acre said:

You have to be qualified to work on a hybrid, whereas anyone with simple knowledge can work on a conventional car. Hybrids are still 3 phase like EV's

You have to be competent to work on a hybrid, in the same way as you have to be competent to work on a conventional petrol car - plenty of ways to injury yourself, the vehicle or others if you don't know what you are doing.

For all routine servicing on a hybrid you don't go near the actual hybrid high voltage components.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You have to be competent to work on a hybrid, in the same way as you have to be competent to work on a conventional petrol car - plenty of ways to injury yourself, the vehicle or others if you don't know what you are doing.

For all routine servicing on a hybrid you don't go near the actual hybrid high voltage components.

Yes, I realise that, my point being is that as the cars age people will be tempted to try to at least investigate hybrid/EV issues, that's when the danger will be very real.

11 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Well I am not sure many of the thousands of millennium mileage Prius taxis ever see the inside of a Toyota dealer.

No, but you still have to be hybrid qualified to work on the system when it does require it, regardless of whether it's a main dealer or not.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, The-Acre said:

No, but you still have to be hybrid qualified to work on the system when it does require it

I have issue with the word 'qualified'. There is no standards body or law stating you must be qualified to work on a hybrid vehicle, unlike being gas safe registered for example.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There is no standards body or law stating you must be qualified to work on a hybrid vehicle, unlike being gas safe registered for example

Now there is a business opportunity for someone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I have issue with the word 'qualified'. There is no standards body or law stating you must be qualified to work on a hybrid vehicle, unlike being gas safe registered for example.

Exactly, hence my reaction to that statement.

I once saw a qualified (3 phase AC installer) electrician touching the wires with fingers to see if they were live or ground. Qualified as he had the education and thus permission to install power cables in homes.

Not everybody have coarse enough skin to do such. I do not recommend trying that.

Fixing small things on a hybrid is more or less same as on most cars, but do not come near the hybrid electric system, unless you know what you do.

• Like 2

From what I've seen there are labels on the traction batteries stating, along the lines of, only to be touched by a qualified electrician. Only a complete numty would tackle a traction Battery. I've seen videos of Prius batteries being changed and by golly the protective clothing and high voltage rated too aswell as all tools needed for the Battery swap again high voltage rated. So Colin I can't see why you have an issue with 'qualified'. It's more than just common sence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

From what I've seen there are labels on the traction batteries stating, along the lines of, only to be touched by a qualified electrician. Only a complete numty would tackle a traction battery. I've seen videos of Prius batteries being changed and by golly the protective clothing and high voltage rated too aswell as all tools needed for the battery swap again high voltage rated. So Colin I can't see why you have an issue with 'qualified'. It's more than just common sence.

Unfortunately too many think they have common sense.

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Surely this is the crux of the matter.  To install a domestic charging point, for example, requires accreditation, namely certification to a minimum standard.

But there doesn’t appear to be any legislation that defines the minimum level of training and expertise to work on electric and hybrid vehicles.  I note that the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) runs various paid-for courses on every aspect of EV technology , resulting in the issuing of a Certificate.

The question is, for the safety of both mechanics and motorists, should there be such legislation when - I presume - it isn’t required for petrol or Diesel engines? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LenT said:

The question is, for the safety of both mechanics and motorists, should there be such legislation when - I presume - it isn’t required for petrol or Diesel engines? 

Or putting the other way round should there not be minimum qualifications to work on ICE vehicles, at least for so called professionals?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Or putting the other way round should there not be minimum qualifications to work on ICE vehicles, at least for so called professionals?

A very fair point!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

So Colin I can't see why you have an issue with 'qualified'. It's more than just common sence.

It's because there is no qualification to take, therefore how can you be qualified? You can attend manufacturer courses and pass their tests but that isn't a recognised qualification, but you can state you are competent.

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Regulation without cause isn't desirable. Do you want servicing and repair work to cost even more than it does today because mechanics have additional costs associated with being tested, and paying subs to keep an industry body afloat?

I've not read any reports of there being injuries to motorists as a result of poorly repaired hybrid vehicles, and I'm sure there aren't enough occurrences to justify it for all ICE vehicles either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I've not read any reports of there being injuries to motorists as a result of poorly repaired hybrid vehicles, and I'm sure there aren't enough occurrences to justify it for all ICE vehicles either.

I believe several accident happened in the past because of faulty brakes and some of these may have been caused by not qualified repair personnel.

8 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Here price for Shell 98 V-Power is now 1.7€. When we came here it was more or less half of that.

Just imagine how much hydrogen would cost now as a fuel for a car, even if you could find it.

Meanwhile half way through this month, and including charging our electric car, we have used a NEGATIVE amount of grid electricity.

The answer to the current rising fuel costs is very obvious, wean off our dependence on fossil fuels, it cannot happen quickly enough.

52147786758_7be7b76e16_c_d.jpg

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Like mentioned before: EV cars for those having house with solar cells on top of it.

Everybody else without own charging place, which is most people. Other means of transportation.

37 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Other means of transportation.

quite agree .......  sedan chairs ......... and fuller employment with the 2 or 4 trained personell carriers at the corners  . zero pollution apart from the masses of the usual hot air from their levels of exhaustion and exasperation :whistling:

Malc 

• Haha 1

EU shamed: Russia rakes in £79.4bn in energy exports since start of war: 'Support Ukraine'

THE EU has been shamed as Russia made £79.4billion during the first 100 days of the Ukraine war from the sale of oil and gas according to a new report.

By JAMES LEE
11:16, Mon, Jun 13, 2022 | UPDATED: 11:16, Mon, Jun 13, 2022

So you could argue this 'war' is an elaborate scheme to accelerate the decomissioning of combustion cars arsoss developed countries

Air pollution stinks in major cities all over the world - moving to EVs wont fix it -- why? because combustion cars have basicaly zero contribution towards global greenhouse gases in the UK itself, globally most of the contribution is from coal and the 20 or so firms behind a third of greenhouse emissions world wide

if you think EVs are a good idea go outside in this fine weaather and burn your laptop and smarthpone and take a few sniffs

I suspect the ones in agreement that everyone needs an EV to save the planet are the same ones who were listening to 'experts' about flattening the curve and taking as many experimental drugs as necessary to do so.

on a side note - -1.99/L for VPower today

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

EU shamed: Russia rakes in £79.4bn in energy exports since start of war: 'Support Ukraine'

THE EU has been shamed as Russia made £79.4billion during the first 100 days of the Ukraine war from the sale of oil and gas according to a new report.

By JAMES LEE
11:16, Mon, Jun 13, 2022 | UPDATED: 11:16, Mon, Jun 13, 2022

So you could argue this 'war' is an elaborate scheme to accelerate the decomissioning of combustion cars arsoss developed countries

Air pollution stinks in major cities all over the world - moving to EVs wont fix it -- why? because combustion cars have basicaly zero contribution towards global greenhouse gases in the UK itself, globally most of the contribution is from coal and the 20 or so firms behind a third of greenhouse emissions world wide

if you think EVs are a good idea go outside in this fine weaather and burn your laptop and smarthpone and take a few sniffs

I suspect the ones in agreement that everyone needs an EV to save the planet are the same ones who were listening to 'experts' about flattening the curve and taking as many experimental drugs as necessary to do so.

on a side note - -1.99/L for VPower today

Support Ukraine. Support global warming. Support whatever you want.

We support the war-machine factories and the tyrants. The stupid politicians try to make us think that we help. They succeed as they will be re-elected.

The world is ruled by economy - money - and nothing else matters as long as we are stupid enough to select the same idiots to rule. We have no-one to blame.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links